Adaptive Brightness

Tek720

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
New Pixel 3 and the adaptive brightness does not seem to be learning. It turns the screen to about 67 percent brightness in light that needs 50 percent. I turn it down and then the next time it adapts it goes back up.

The menu says it learns when you adjust, but how long does that take? I feel like I turned it down about 15 times today.

Am I missing something?

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Never worked well for me on the Pixel 2. I thought I was the only one.
New Pixel 3 and the adaptive brightness does not seem to be learning. It turns the screen to about 67 percent brightness in light that needs 50 percent. I turn it down and then the next time it adapts it goes back up.

The menu says it learns when you adjust, but how long does that take? I feel like I turned it down about 15 times today.

Am I missing something?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I absolutely love the feature! Yes, you do need to teach it in different lighting environments, but it gets it perfect after a few days of " teachings"

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
This feature works really well for me. This is the best display I've had in a phone. It feels like it is right on top, it just pops.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
It took almost a month for mine to learn on the Pixel 2. At that point is when it really seemed better. Finally going to the lowest setting at night and being brighter watching videos and stuff.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Am I missing something?

I'm using mine without a noticable issue

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine is starting to learn on day 3.. It's much more work than I thought it would be but I guess it'll be worth it. I never put in the work on my Pixel 2.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Mine is starting to learn on day 3.. It's much more work than I thought it would be but I guess it'll be worth it. I never put in the work on my Pixel 2.

Hang with it, JB! Takes a few days, for me it was about 4-6. I adusted mine a lot the first couple of days, less the next couple of days (but still fine tuned it). Around the 5th day, it didn't need me any more.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Funny, I don't think there was any learning at all on my S8, it just always seemed about perfect. I rarely ever had to touch screen brightness and now a year later I never do. It just works... uh oh lol.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I've heard bad things about adaptive brightness.. is it a true battery drainer?

I hadn't heard that about the adaptive brightness feature... though I have heard that about the adaptive battery feature, especially on the Pixel 2 series. Pixel 3, I haven't read as much on the topic.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Even LG 'auto brightness' was good. But I think, with adaptive brightness.. they made it so it'll change per person . Not based on the sensors, but based on the users wants and needs. Which to me, is pretty stinking cool.
Funny, I don't think there was any learning at all on my S8, it just always seemed about perfect. I rarely ever had to touch screen brightness and now a year later I never do. It just works... uh oh lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21