Quick high brightness when checking notifications

ballzac

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Just noticed today that the Pixel 3 did not have a notification LED. That being said, I tend to frequently use the double tap to check notifications as well as the lift. I had noticed that sometimes, not always, when the screen appears using one of those methods, the brightness seems to be very high for a split second then goes back to normal, other time the clock/notifications just show up with what seems like a regular low AOD type brightness. It's minor but kind of annoying since I don't plan on using AOD. Does anyone else notice this? Does it seem like a software thing? Link to the video in which you can see the distinction between the two times the screen comes on (video isnt loading for me on drive for some reason)

[video]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CwWknvRUnAfcE3ScTvpknJs82DN3n9nV[/video]

Last edited:

baozilla

Nov 5, 2018
Visit site
I have been googling this issue for days!!! I have this issue as well. Tried it 20 times prior to replying and it happens all 20 times. Double tap, screen super bright, then dims. I can't find any documentation of this.

ballzac

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
For anyone wondering,

Tech support said that when checking notifications, the phone uses adaptive brightness (with lift, double tap, etc). You should notice that in high light areas the flash of brightness doesnt happen and that its just in lower light areas, regardless of whether you use adaptive brightness this will happen unfortunately. Doubt they will ever change that.

Mugenized

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I remember coming across this thread when I was researching the phone before buying. Now that I finally have it, I'm also seeing the same thing. It's pretty dumb if this is how it's designed to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21