Let's Talk about 9.0 Pie On Pixel 3

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Pie on my Pixel 3 has been faultless so far. I'm not keen on the gestures compared to what I've seen of OnePlus and the iPhone, but hopefully this will change in time.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
YAH!

I am a big proponent of 9.0 on Pixel 3. IMO, it is Google at it's best yet. I'll start with the heart of the device Google Assistant. I'm a big user of GA as a main pillar of the device to handle a lot of the navigation of my daily use. Couple that with the simple and clean interface that 9.0 provides and you have a powerful and effecient OS.

To me, 9.0 highlights Google's strength in providing answers and solutions in the quickest way possible. A lot of pundits have issues with the recent apps screen, but I think they miss the beauty of it. That screen alone puts the user in position to take multiple actions from anywhere within the device, not just switch apps like many other competing OS.

Bringing solutions to the forefront with ease is what makes 9.0 on the Pixel 3 incredible.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
YAH!

I am a big proponent of 9.0 on Pixel 3. IMO, it is Google at it's best yet. I'll start with the heart of the device Google Assistant. I'm a big user of GA as a main pillar of the device to handle a lot of the navigation of my daily use. Couple that with the simple and clean interface that 9.0 provides and you have a powerful and effecient OS.

To me, 9.0 highlights Google's strength in providing answers and solutions in the quickest way possible. A lot of pundits have issues with the recent apps screen, but I think they miss the beauty of it. That screen alone puts the user in position to take multiple actions from anywhere within the device, not just switch apps like many other competing OS.

Bringing solutions to the forefront with ease is what makes 9.0 on the Pixel 3 incredible.

I like this adaptive battery and brightness learning your usage more time you interact with your device .

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
YAH!

I'm with you on this one. The double swipe up to get to the app drawer is an acceptable trade off for me because, more often than not, Google is presenting to me the apps that I normally use based on my habits. It's really, really accurate now.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm with you on this one. The double swipe up to get to the app drawer is an acceptable trade off for me because, more often than not, Google is presenting to me the apps that I normally use based on my habits. It's really, really accurate now.

This is so overlooked! When you consider Oreo, the predictive apps were at the top of the app drawer. Most people, one they commit to opening the app drawer, their minds are committed to going to the app they are looking for and just bypassed the predictive apps at the top. The feature was poorly placed and lost it's functionality being located there.

By pulling the predicitve apps into the navigation area, 9.0 makes thay feature much more useful and effective for the user. My predictive apps are right the vast majority of the time and have been incredibly effecient for my use.

For me, if I don't see the app I'm looking for in predictive, I just type a couple of letters in the search bar that's right there on the same screen (yes you guys without having to go back to home screen) and the app is brought right up. I would be willing to bet that if more users actually used that function as intented the grumbles about the action to access the app drawer itself would drop significantly. My beed to even have to even open the app drawer has got to have dropped 75% (if I could only scientifically measure that).

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I like this adaptive battery and brightness learning your usage more time you interact with your device .

These are great features that I feel may be getting overlooked. Adaptive battery is great, but if you don't do your part and teach it, it's worthless. I spent my first few days getting that feature up to speed and now I never have to think about it. It knows where to set itself in different conditions to my taste.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I always love new platform updates (Android, iOS, Mac, Windows etc). I do love the design language evolve in Android Pie and additional things like adaptive battery, digital well being etc. I love gesture navigation on iOS and honestly I don't mind the gesture navigation on Pie as well. Most of them complain about requiring to get two swipes to get to app drawer on app launcher. Guess what I never care about app drawer, any app I want I just tap the search bar in the dock and type in first letter of the app and it shows up. Same way on iOS could care less it doesn't have app drawer and I just swipe down bring up spotlight search and type in first letter gets me to the app.

Overall love new versions and that's the reason I have under Pixel and iPhone

There are always improvements they can make, fine tuning gesture navigation, fixing all these minor bugs. I think 9.0.1 or whatever the next update they call which includes night sight will probably resolve lots of annoyances and provide a stable platform for the next year.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I always love new platform updates (Android, iOS, Mac, Windows etc). I do love the design language evolve in Android Pie and additional things like adaptive battery, digital well being etc. I love gesture navigation on iOS and honestly I don't mind the gesture navigation on Pie as well. Most of them complain about requiring to get two swipes to get to app drawer on app launcher. Guess what I never care about app drawer, any app I want I just tap the search bar in the dock and type in first letter of the app and it shows up. Same way on iOS could care less it doesn't have app drawer and I just swipe down bring up spotlight search and type in first letter gets me to the app.

Overall love new versions and that's the reason I have under Pixel and iPhone

There are always improvements they can make, fine tuning gesture navigation, fixing all these minor bugs. I think 9.0.1 or whatever the next update they call which includes night sight will probably resolve lots of annoyances and provide a stable platform for the next year.

That's what we need few more options to disable app drawer if needed , or buttons for ones who choose so and I wanted the pixel 3 to bring all it's features once the phones were on sale and not wait for them to install with update like night mode should of came out the gate with it . We paid top dollars I want them included and not wait .

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Gestures are a mess and poorly thought out.

Could you expand your thought on that. What makes them a mess and poorly thought out? What would you reccomend they do differently on this phone?

The gestures are awkward and clunky. Android needs to make them more refined and fluid like the iPhone XS's gestures.

Maybe in comparison the animation could be more fluid, but from a functional standpoint what makes it awkward IYO? Do you mean vs an iPhone X?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
That's what we need few more options to disable app drawer if needed , or buttons for ones who choose so and I wanted the pixel 3 to bring all it's features once the phones were on sale and not wait for them to install with update like night mode should of came out the gate with it . We paid top dollars I want them included and not wait .

Okay, so let me pose this thought. Since we consider Google Hardware the same as any other OEM, doesn't it make sense for them to have their own vision for their skin? I'm asking that thinking they are alreadly have a thought of where they want to land with this in the coming versions.

What if just don't see a future in keeping both options available for where they want to go? Does it make sense to "plant the flag" and let that interface go? I mean, it's either now or in the future and either way I think people will still feel the same.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I have no issues with Pie, does what I want, when I want. I think some people get so wrapped up in the specs of a phone, they don't have time to just use and enjoy it.
I am very glad I don't have the technical knowledge of some here, very glad.

I think Rita Hayworth was a beautiful woman, my favorite. I don't care who did her hair, who made her dress, or who applied her make up, I enjoy the hell out of the finished product. JMO - YMMV

Rita1 (2).jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Okay, so let me pose this thought. Since we consider Google Hardware the same as any other OEM, doesn't it make sense for them to have their own vision for their skin? I'm asking that thinking they are alreadly have a thought of where they want to land with this in the coming versions.

What if just don't see a future in keeping both options available for where they want to go? Does it make sense to "plant the flag" and let that interface go? I mean, it's either now or in the future and either way I think people will still feel the same.

They are still doing what they Invision
Example is AI being more involved in it's phone , they introduce adaptive strategy.Where they have to leave things alone is options like gestures,themes or least dark theme mode the right way change different settings of the phone .
Example : Take a mustang car you have your base model without the bells and whistles like leather seats, navigation,back-up camera .. because some people want the raw power without the extra and then some want all above with the power it's still a mustang with it's power but it has options . This Google can do while following what they want done future wise...

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Could you expand your thought on that. What makes them a mess and poorly thought out? What would you reccomend they do differently on this phone?

Maybe in comparison the animation could be more fluid, but from a functional standpoint what makes it awkward IYO? Do you mean vs an iPhone X?

Swiping up twice to get the app drawer is clunky. And you can only go in one direction with the multitask gesture. You should be able to go both ways.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
They are still doing what they Invision
Example is AI being more involved in it's phone , they introduce adaptive strategy.Where they have to leave things alone is options like gestures,themes or least dark theme mode the right way change different settings of the phone .
Example : Take a mustang car you have your base model without the bells and whistles like leather seats, navigation,back-up camera .. because some people want the raw power without the extra and then some want all above with the power it's still a mustang with it's power but it has options . This Google can do while following what they want done future wise...

Okay.. I can see that as a possible approach. I just think they're committed to a next logical step with OS 10 and some of those things might not be as functional if they maintain the 3 button system. I'm basing that soley on their decision to not include it as an option on the Pixel 3. I mean, there's gotta be a reason to do it with Pixel, but still leave it as a programming choice for other OEMs.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Swiping up twice to get the app drawer is clunky. And you can only go in one direction with the multitask gesture. You should be able to go both ways.

Disgree on the first point, as I see true functional value in the two step system. It's fluid when engaged as intended.

On the swipe left though, you're suggesting that instead of moving the current viewing app all the way right on the switcher that the viewing app should be left in it's "place in line" and then just move left/right from there. I could see that as a functional choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz