Shutter lag.... 2 or 3 seconds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey, All,

After launching the camera from double tapping the power button, when I press the shutter button, it takes a good 2 or 3 seconds for the photo to take.

After the initial slow photo, the rest take instantly...

I haven't been able to test of this is a result of the app being forced out of memory or not, but it makes the double tap for a quick photo useless....

Anyone else?

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey, All,

After launching the camera from double tapping the power button, when I press the shutter button, it takes a good 2 or 3 seconds for the photo to take.

I haven't been able to test of this is a a result of the app being forced out of memory or not, but it makes the double tap for a quick photo useless....

Anyone else?

I never experienced it and just tried it in all modes....no unexpected lag. The slowest was HDR+Enhanced but it wasnt as slow as you described.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It seems like if 20 minutes go by without me opening the camera app, the lag starts over again.

Once it lags one time, every other photo after that is instant. Until 20 minutes passes... Almost like it had to take one photo to prime itself or something

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It seems like if 20 minutes go by without me opening the camera app, the lag starts over again.

Once it lags one time, every other photo after that is instant. Until 20 minutes passes... Almost like it had to take one photo to prime itself or something

Just tried it as well and I'd say it took around 1/4-1/2 a second on the first try.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just tried it as well and I'd say it took around 1/4-1/2 a second on the first try.

Right... It'd be one thing if it was consistently that slow, but it's only the first time after not using it for a while... Which is when I need to depend on it working!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Right... It'd be one thing if it was consistently that slow, but it's only the first time after not using it for a while... Which is when I need to depend on it working!

Try safe made or look for other apps that may be locking down the camera. If you can't resolve then I would say Google support is the next step. They will most likely tell you FDR it and if it persists they will replace it.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Try safe made or look for other apps that may be locking down the camera. If you can't resolve then I would say Google support is the next step. They will most likely tell you FDR it and if it persists they will replace it.

It seems like doing a FDR is their go-to solution for everything, which replaced power cycling the device, which replaced giving it a sharp rap with an open hand. Ahh, the progression of technology.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It seems like doing a FDR is their go-to solution for everything, which replaced power cycling the device, which replaced giving it a sharp rap with an open hand. Ahh, the progression of technology.

Well it's the ultimate last resort solver of problems.

Example: I had audio output issues on my LG V20 just as the warranty was about to run out. One channel was really bad on the headphones...low output and lots of static. I tried all the normal troubleshooting steps. I resolved to myself that I would have to send it in. I thought about a factory reset as a last ditch attempt and that was a requirement anyway prior to sending it in. The FDR solved the audio problem so it was corrupted software and not hardware.
It was not the only time or only OS that I have saved with a reset.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well it's the ultimate last resort solver of problems.

Example: I had audio output issues on my LG V20 just as the warranty was about to run out. One channel was really bad on the headphones...low output and lots of static. I tried all the normal troubleshooting steps. I resolved to myself that I would have to send it in. I thought about a factory reset as a last ditch attempt and that was a requirement anyway prior to sending it in. The FDR solved the audio problem so it was corrupted software and not hardware.
It was not the only time or only OS that I have saved with a reset.

I get that, it's the ones that do that right off the bat are the ones I take issue with. A lot of support people don't even attempt to troubleshoot the issue, they go for the quick fix (for them anyways) rather than identify the culprit. Maybe it's just because I'm a former electronics tech, and a majority of my job was troubleshooting. IMO it's just lazy.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I get that, it's the ones that do that right off the bat are the ones I take issue with. A lot of support people don't even attempt to troubleshoot the issue, they go for the quick fix (for them anyways) rather than identify the culprit. Maybe it's just because I'm a former electronics tech, and a majority of my job was troubleshooting. IMO it's just lazy.

You're not going to get that level of Google support over the phone unless some how you get to their engineers.

With my Pixelbook I was able to do that once and they actually patched a problem that I made them aware of with the Netflix app. I got it fixed the very next day and follow up emails that night and the next day.

When I had an issue last year that caused me to return my Pixel I did the FDR ahead of time so it saved me time on the phone with the script reader.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You're not going to get that level of Google support over the phone unless some how you get to their engineers.

With my Pixelbook I was able to do that once and they actually patched a problem that I made them aware of with the Netflix app. I got it fixed the very next day and follow up emails that night and the next day.

When I had an issue last year that caused me to return my Pixel I did the FDR ahead of time so it saved me time on the phone with the script reader.

I'd say you could rove Google from that first sentence and it'd be just as true. All the first tier "support techs" are essentially telemarketers with a script written by the engineers. Fine if it's something simple, but more often than not useless.

As for getting the FDR out of the way, I've had times where they'd have me run it again even after I tried it myself prior to the call. Guess it depends on who you get on the phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A lot of support people don't even attempt to troubleshoot the issue, they go for the quick fix (for them anyways) rather than identify the culprit. Maybe it's just because I'm a former electronics tech, and a majority of my job was troubleshooting. IMO it's just lazy.
Not lazy at all. "Let's get everything but our software off the phone and see if its our software or some 3rd party software causing the problem.:"

If you have a legitimate Google problem - let's just say that I can do a debug dump and upload in my sleep by now, It was their problem. They worked on it for about 2 weeks - until it somehow cleared up by itself (you don't fix what's not broke either).

Last edited:

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not lazy at all. "Let's get everything but our software off the phone and see if its our software or some 3rd party software causing the problem.:"

If you have a legitimate Google problem - let's just say that I can do a debug dump and upload in my sleep by now, It was their problem. They worked on it for about 2 weeks - until it somehow cleared up by itself (you don't fix what's not broke either).

That would be fine if the next direction techs give weren't almost always return it/we'll send you a replacement. I get you're saying that by doing the FDR that you're eliminating a bunch of potential causes, but if that's all the further they take it, then it's lazy. Verizon is notorious for doing that.

I recently spent around 6-7 hours on the phone with Google Home Support and Nest support trying to get a Google Home Hub to show the camera from the Nest Hello when the doorbell is activated. I ended up fixing it myself because they were no help at all. Google had me do a reset on the Hub. When that didn't help they'd send me to Nest support who have me reset the Nest Hello. And when that still didn't work they'd send back to Google support again. Round and round it went until I finally gave up on them. Most of the time I was on hold while they checked on something. So instead I ended up changing various things in my setup in the Google Home app to see what would happen, and found the solution. That took my a bit over a half an hour.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'd say you could rove Google from that first sentence and it'd be just as true. All the first tier "support techs" are essentially telemarketers with a script written by the engineers. Fine if it's something simple, but more often than not useless.

As for getting the FDR out of the way, I've had times where they'd have me run it again even after I tried it myself prior to the call. Guess it depends on who you get on the phone.

Yes...agreed.... Verizon and other support centers have similar characteristics. Google didn't make me reset agsin....they made have had a way to tell since they accessed my phone through chat support

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey, All,

I haven't been able to test of this is a result of the app being forced out of memory or not, but it makes the double tap for a quick photo useless....

Anyone else?

I have had the exact issue on two different pixel 3XL's. I would not imagine a reset resolving the problem.

I can't think of the conditions that bring it about, but every once in awhile when I launch the camera by double tapping the power button it definitely takes 2 to 4 seconds before I'm able to snap the photo. I've had both previous versions of the pixel and enjoy the quick launch feature. I figure it will be fixed in an update.

The reason I had two pixel 3XL's... First one would not Wireless charge. Ordered a replacement from Google.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have had the exact issue on two different pixel 3XL's. I would not imagine a reset resolving the problem.

I can't think of the conditions that bring it about, but every once in awhile when I launch the camera by double tapping the power button it definitely takes 2 to 4 seconds before I'm able to snap the photo. I've had both previous versions of the pixel and enjoy the quick launch feature. I figure it will be fixed in an update.

The reason I had two pixel 3XL's... First one would not Wireless charge. Ordered a replacement from Google.

Since it's happened on both there is the possibility that's it's a common app you had installed on both. Of course I'm just going for the obvious and I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781