Fingerprint Sensor

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Noticed the fingerprint sensor is not as fast as expected. Getting a lot of unrecognized scans.

Additionally, seems the swipe down for notifications gesture is difficult to trigger. Is it a software issue? Anyone else experiencing the same?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
mine is quick and responsive. I made two copies of each forefinger, so I haven't run into many fails.

Sometimes it helps to clean the FPS, and wash your hands actually, if you run into response issues.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
When you use the fingerprint sensor.
Do you put your finger on the sensor and press.

Go in and delete the finger print.
Then readd it.
Make sure the sensor is clean and you have no water or oil on her hands.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Another thing that affects reading is fingertips change in real cold weather. My prints harden up and they don't read the same.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
When you use the fingerprint sensor.
Do you put your finger on the sensor and press.

Go in and delete the finger print.
Then readd it.
Make sure the sensor is clean and you have no water or oil on her hands.

Why press? ive never had to press on any finger print sensor ive had...resting should register enough of my finger to recognize

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Another suggestion is if you use a case, re program your fingerprints with the case on. Most times, the finger won't rest the same way if there is a case on, sometimes reading the tip of the finger more than if you don't have a case. Or you can just add more fingerprint registers using the same finger with the case on, that way you have with and without the case registered, and should improve overall recognition.

ThaiBruin

May 3, 2010
Visit site
My Pixel 3 XL unlocks a lot faster than my old S8. The wider surface area helps a lot too. With the S8, it was VERY particular about how you placed your finger on the tiny sensor before it unlocked.

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I can recommend also getting same finger register couple times could help

I just did this, lets see how it works out. I recall 1 device (i cant remember which one) where i did this and it actually caused a slight delay as it got confused but that was a long time ago.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just did this, lets see how it works out. I recall 1 device (i cant remember which one) where i did this and it actually caused a slight delay as it got confused but that was a long time ago.

I remember doing I think on my s8+ it helped but worth a shot

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Registering the same fingerprints ? Sounds a bit funny. but if it works then awesome

I think it makes perfect sense. Think of it like mapping an object. When they do computer mapping, the more angles they take images of, the better the final product will be when they're combined.

Now when you register a finger on Google Imprint, it asks you to touch it five different times using different angles, which is essentially mapping your fingerprint. They do that because you never apply your finger to the sensor in exactly the same postition at exactly the same angle. So registering your fingerprint again using even more angles simply increases the chance it will be recognized. And while it's not combined with the original fingerprint image, because it will still be registered, it's just more images for Imprint to use to recognize that one fingerprint.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think it makes perfect sense. Think of it like mapping an object. When they do computer mapping, the more angles they take images of, the better the final product will be when they're combined.

Now when you register a finger on Google Imprint, it asks you to touch it five different times using different angles, which is essentially mapping your fingerprint. They do that because you never apply your finger to the sensor in exactly the same postition at exactly the same angle. So registering your fingerprint again using even more angles simply increases the chance it will be recognized. And while it's not combined with the original fingerprint image, because it will still be registered, it's just more images for Imprint to use to recognize that one fingerprint.

Exactly😊