Fingerprint Sensor

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
When you use the fingerprint sensor.
Do you put your finger on the sensor and press.

Go in and delete the finger print.
Then readd it.
Make sure the sensor is clean and you have no water or oil on her hands.

Yep, have repeated the fingerprint registration. Seems to have helped a bit. Thanks

In less than ideal conditions failure still happens quite noticeably (e.g. when outdoors and slightly humid). Though this might be as expected.

Also, I did try to register the lower part of my finger more, as I was used to a bigger phone before switching to the Pixel 3.

Last edited:

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
My Pixel 3 has been fine. Only the swipe down seems to be a little harder to trigger as mentioned.

So it isn't just me experiencing issues with fingerprint sensor swipe down for notifications. Thanks for the confirmation. Hope this can be fixed by future software tweaks.

On a different note, I do hope they add the ability to swipe down anywhere on screen to read notifications. Really miss this option, and wouldn't have to rely on the fingerprint swipe down as much.

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
I think it makes perfect sense. Think of it like mapping an object. When they do computer mapping, the more angles they take images of, the better the final product will be when they're combined.

Now when you register a finger on Google Imprint, it asks you to touch it five different times using different angles, which is essentially mapping your fingerprint. They do that because you never apply your finger to the sensor in exactly the same postition at exactly the same angle. So registering your fingerprint again using even more angles simply increases the chance it will be recognized. And while it's not combined with the original fingerprint image, because it will still be registered, it's just more images for Imprint to use to recognize that one fingerprint.

Never tried this before, but makes sense. Will try this if the issue persists. Thanks!

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I did a little playing around with the fingerprint sensor in regards to swiping up and down for the notification shade. What I've found is there seems to be a difference between the Pixel 2 & 3. On the P2, you just swiped across the sensor and it worked fine. On the P3, it seems to work better if you are more deliberate about it.

For example, if you want to swipe down to bring the notification shade into view, put your finger on the top of the sensor for just a bit, then swipe. To dismiss the shade, do the same from the bottom of the sensor. Basically it seems you have to do it a little more slowly and deliberately. So far, it's seems to yield more consistent operation doing that.

I'm wondering if Google didn't lower the sensitivity of the sensor a bit, as I remember reading that some people in the past were complaining previous Pixels sensor's activated too fast (not sure why that is an issue, but whatever).

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
I did a little playing around with the fingerprint sensor in regards to swiping up and down for the notification shade. What I've found is there seems to be a difference between the Pixel 2 & 3. On the P2, you just swiped across the sensor and it worked fine. On the P3, it seems to work better if you are more deliberate about it.

For example, if you want to swipe down to bring the notification shade into view, put your finger on the top of the sensor for just a bit, then swipe. To dismiss the shade, do the same from the bottom of the sensor. Basically it seems you have to do it a little more slowly and deliberately. So far, it's seems to yield more consistent operation doing that.

I'm wondering if Google didn't lower the sensitivity of the sensor a bit, as I remember reading that some people in the past were complaining previous Pixels sensor's activated too fast (not sure why that is an issue, but whatever).

From my experience, even the slow and deliberate swipe down for notifications is normally hard to trigger. Or when it does work with the swipe down, then the swipe up won't. Still hoping this is due to Google software trying to reduce unintentional triggers.

akhil8

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
I think software optimization have a part in this, am using Xiaomi Mi A1 and the miui version of MiA1 (5x) have better response in sensing

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think software optimization have a part in this, am using Xiaomi Mi A1 and the miui version of MiA1 (5x) have better response in sensing

I'm beginning to think there must be a level of inconsistency in sensors because I find mine pretty accurate and responsive.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So it isn't just me experiencing issues with fingerprint sensor swipe down for notifications. Thanks for the confirmation. Hope this can be fixed by future software tweaks.

On a different note, I do hope they add the ability to swipe down anywhere on screen to read notifications. Really miss this option, and wouldn't have to rely on the fingerprint swipe down as much.

I wonder why they don't fully utilize the fingerprint reader? Swipe down, swipe left, swipe right??? It makes perfect sense to me. Move to a new page, move to the next email, move back in messages...

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Why do you need to press?

It makes the prints register better.
I didn't make the phones.

Had to get my wife to do it on her Samsung phones.
She always has something on her fingers.
Also get her to turn her fingers at a couple of angles and register the tip of her finger.

Try it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It makes the prints register better.
I didn't make the phones.

Had to get my wife to do it on her Samsung phones.
She always has something on her fingers.
Also get her to turn her fingers at a couple of angles and register the tip of her finger.

Try it.

You don't need to press. The fingerprint registers before you actually apply much pressure but if it makes you more confident , by all means do it your way.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
So why is so many people having problems registering their prints.
And having to register double prints ?

I know what works.
And I will continue to touch and press .
Problem solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz