11-09-2018 01:13 AM
27 12
tools
    Noticed the fingerprint sensor is not as fast as expected. Getting a lot of unrecognized scans.

Additionally, seems the swipe down for notifications gesture is difficult to trigger. Is it a software issue? Anyone else experiencing the same?
    Martin Holl and bakancs1 like this.
    11-08-2018 03:59 AM
    I'd say 5% of attempts fail for me, I'm not too worried but ya sometimes it takes a second tap
    11-08-2018 08:23 AM
    mine is quick and responsive. I made two copies of each forefinger, so I haven't run into many fails.

Sometimes it helps to clean the FPS, and wash your hands actually, if you run into response issues.
    11-08-2018 08:45 AM
    When you use the fingerprint sensor.
    Do you put your finger on the sensor and press.

Go in and delete the finger print.
    Then readd it.
    Make sure the sensor is clean and you have no water or oil on her hands.
    rexxsor likes this.
    11-08-2018 10:40 AM
    Another thing that affects reading is fingertips change in real cold weather. My prints harden up and they don't read the same.
    11-08-2018 10:53 AM

Then readd it.
    Why press? ive never had to press on any finger print sensor ive had...resting should register enough of my finger to recognize
    11-08-2018 10:54 AM
    Why press? ive never had to press on any finger print sensor ive had...resting should register enough of my finger to recognize
    Gave you some suggestions.
    Have seen what suggested help.
    It's your phone.
    Sorry I couldn't help.
    TrueBlueKew likes this.
    11-08-2018 11:27 AM
    Another suggestion is if you use a case, re program your fingerprints with the case on. Most times, the finger won't rest the same way if there is a case on, sometimes reading the tip of the finger more than if you don't have a case. Or you can just add more fingerprint registers using the same finger with the case on, that way you have with and without the case registered, and should improve overall recognition.
    rexxsor likes this.
    11-08-2018 01:26 PM
    My Pixel 3 XL unlocks a lot faster than my old S8. The wider surface area helps a lot too. With the S8, it was VERY particular about how you placed your finger on the tiny sensor before it unlocked.
    11-08-2018 02:02 PM
    I can recommend also getting same finger register couple times could help
    rexxsor and Pixel34me like this.
    11-08-2018 02:15 PM
    I can recommend also getting same finger register couple times could help
    I just did this, lets see how it works out. I recall 1 device (i cant remember which one) where i did this and it actually caused a slight delay as it got confused but that was a long time ago.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-08-2018 02:22 PM
    I just did this, lets see how it works out. I recall 1 device (i cant remember which one) where i did this and it actually caused a slight delay as it got confused but that was a long time ago.
    I remember doing I think on my s8+ it helped but worth a shot
    11-08-2018 02:23 PM
    My Pixel 3 has been fine. Only the swipe down seems to be a little harder to trigger as mentioned.
    rexxsor likes this.
    11-08-2018 03:29 PM
    I do what @mustang7757 suggested. I register my fingerprints more than once. I believe you can do this 5 times.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-08-2018 05:40 PM
    Registering the same fingerprints ? Sounds a bit funny. but if it works then awesome
    11-08-2018 06:38 PM
    Registering the same fingerprints ? Sounds a bit funny. but if it works then awesome
    You'd be surprised
    11-08-2018 06:54 PM
    I think it makes perfect sense. Think of it like mapping an object. When they do computer mapping, the more angles they take images of, the better the final product will be when they're combined.

Now when you register a finger on Google Imprint, it asks you to touch it five different times using different angles, which is essentially mapping your fingerprint. They do that because you never apply your finger to the sensor in exactly the same postition at exactly the same angle. So registering your fingerprint again using even more angles simply increases the chance it will be recognized. And while it's not combined with the original fingerprint image, because it will still be registered, it's just more images for Imprint to use to recognize that one fingerprint.
    mustang7757 and rexxsor like this.
    11-08-2018 07:19 PM
    Sounds weird but it's nothing new. It's something that's been suggested since the Note 4 days
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-08-2018 07:35 PM
    I think it makes perfect sense. Think of it like mapping an object. When they do computer mapping, the more angles they take images of, the better the final product will be when they're combined.

Now when you register a finger on Google Imprint, it asks you to touch it five different times using different angles, which is essentially mapping your fingerprint. They do that because you never apply your finger to the sensor in exactly the same postition at exactly the same angle. So registering your fingerprint again using even more angles simply increases the chance it will be recognized. And while it's not combined with the original fingerprint image, because it will still be registered, it's just more images for Imprint to use to recognize that one fingerprint.
    Exactly😊
    11-08-2018 07:44 PM
    Pressing also flattens your fingerprint on the scanner, exposing more areas of it to be registered.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-08-2018 07:52 PM

Then readd it.
    Yep, have repeated the fingerprint registration. Seems to have helped a bit. Thanks

In less than ideal conditions failure still happens quite noticeably (e.g. when outdoors and slightly humid). Though this might be as expected.

Also, I did try to register the lower part of my finger more, as I was used to a bigger phone before switching to the Pixel 3.
    11-08-2018 09:17 PM
    My Pixel 3 has been fine. Only the swipe down seems to be a little harder to trigger as mentioned.
    So it isn't just me experiencing issues with fingerprint sensor swipe down for notifications. Thanks for the confirmation. Hope this can be fixed by future software tweaks.

On a different note, I do hope they add the ability to swipe down anywhere on screen to read notifications. Really miss this option, and wouldn't have to rely on the fingerprint swipe down as much.
    11-08-2018 09:23 PM

Never tried this before, but makes sense. Will try this if the issue persists. Thanks!
    11-08-2018 09:27 PM
    Nope....I highly recommend it.
    11-08-2018 09:44 PM
    Setup two finger prints per finger and so far no fails
    11-08-2018 10:00 PM
27 12