Anyone regret upgrading from their pixel 2 xl to the 3 xl with all the current issues at hand?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Should I wait? Til the memory and other little knick knacks are fixed?

Thanks

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Thanks

Have not had one single issue that's reported. Or it's so minimal I don't notice. But either way my apps that are open in the background all work fine except Clash Royale doesn't stay open. But I really don't care. Everything works great and it's very stable and zippy with everything I throw at it.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Have not had one single issue that's reported. Or it's so minimal I don't notice. But either way my apps that are open in the background all work fine except Clash Royale doesn't stay open. But I really don't care. Everything works great and it's very stable and zippy with everything I throw at it.

Well, you may not want an app like clash royale running in the background anyway if you aren't using it for awhile.

I haven't upgraded yet, I'm still on my Pixel 2 but because of the price I've thought about just getting the 2XL instead but that thing had its own set of issues so IDK.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, you may not want an app like clash royale running in the background anyway if you aren't using it for awhile.

I haven't upgraded yet, I'm still on my Pixel 2 but because of the price I've thought about just getting the 2XL instead but that thing had its own set of issues so IDK.

I was happy with my prior device as well. But we needed new phones due to switching to Verizon based on our previous carrier having horrible service at our new home. They had a BOGO so my wife and I went with two Pixels.

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I think it depends on what your alternative to the Pixel 3 is. If you're interested in Pixel primarily for quick updates to stock android and the camera and you're committed to that and liked your Pixel 2 XL, then don't bother waiting and just go ahead and get your Pixel. The issues with the Pixel are primarily software and will be fixed. I think the Pixel line is becoming a good default "don't think about it just buy it choice", but just expect an 8.5/10 experience. This phone was designed for the mass market as a clear alternative to the iPhone and the dual ffc is evidence of that...not exactly the feature that your average basement dwelling tech nerd is looking for.

Given the launch issues, I think that kind of negates a lot of the positives about the phone. For example, the best smartphone camera had trouble saving pictures and closes out other apps when you launch the camera. It's kind of ironic given that the camera is the killer feature on the phone.

If you're on the fence and your alternative option is the Galaxy S9/S9+, the OnePlus 6/6t, or the LG V35/G7, and you've been happy with these manufacturers in the past, then I wouldn't wait around on Google and I would just get something else besides Pixel. The only for sure improvement that the Pixel has compared to the phones above is the camera (and the call screening and unlimited storage "features"). Other manufacturers are starting to catch on that camera processing is as important as hardware so 2019 flagships will start to improve their cameras in the same way like OnePlus did going from the 6 to the 6t, so I wouldn't buy this phone for the camera when other manufacturers are only 3-6 months from catching up. Otherwise, IMHO stock Android Pie is a downgrade from Oreo on other flagship phones. To make matters worse you can't disable gestures like you can on the OP6 and get your buttons back.

By the time all of these problems in the Pixel 3 are fixed, the S10 will be announced and slaughter the Pixel 3 in features for a similar or lower price.

tldr- It's not a terrible device if you feel overwhelmed with so many android options, but I don't think the Pixel 3 is worth waiting on for bug fixes when there are so many better options out there. The fact that it needs so many bug fixes defeats the entire purpose of this phone being the easy pick for an android device. I regretted upgrading to the Pixel 3 and returned it and traded my S8 in for an S9.

Last edited:

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I was happy with my prior device as well. But we needed new phones due to switching to Verizon based on our previous carrier having horrible service at our new home. They had a BOGO so my wife and I went with two Pixels.
If I was on Verizon that's what I would have done to. The pixel BOGO they do is well worth it. Luckily I don't need to have Verizon at my house because at least for me it's more expensive.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks

so I think the question is here should I upgrade given the fact that there are multiple issues at this time? Look in the mirror and say to yourself... Should I spend 900 plus dollars on a device that has multiple issues at this time? Then you will have your answer. am I going to look back and say man I should have listened to all of those people in the forums.

Ge Lo

Sep 21, 2018
Visit site
(Original Poster)

I had sold my Pixel 2 XL and ordered the Pixel 3 XL, but canceled it after all the memory, sound and software issues came out. I actually bought all the Caseology cases for both pixel 3 and pixel 3xl and screen protectors, so I will eventually buy one. I really miss gesture navigation and smart feature, currently using old samsung galaxy s8 and going insane. Maybe Google will have a good holiday sale. My whole apartment is full of smart plugs and I can't stand Samsung's smart interface.

But thanks for the advices.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from a Pixel 2 XL on release day, Oct 18, and I would do it again without hesitation.

Kate and I both have had our identical Pixel 2 XL 128's since release and neither one of us has experienced any problems. I will say that the screen quality of the 3 XL is in a different league from the 2 XL.

Kate is busy with her photography, uses Facebook a lot, does some texting, and does Chrome browsing and Amazon shopping. She tells me she hasn't experienced any problems and that she is impressed that she hasn't had any problems with using the phone features. She is also impressed with battery life. She doesn't classify herself as a power user.

I'm a heavier user than Kate. I listen on my Bluetooth headset a good bit of the time while working. I'm on my Windows 10 PC throughout the day doing Windows programming and PC consulting work. My 3 XL sits on its Pixel Stand right beside my Windows 10 screen. I good bit of my income also comes from short term stock market trading and these days a lot of my trading and chart watching is actually done on my Pixel 3 XL! Interactive Brokers has come a long way in their support of Android devices! I also do a good bit of Kindle reading in the evening and in bed before sleeping. My screen time can easily be way more than 6 hours a day.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
While I don't necessarily regret it, I don't think it's worth the upgrade.

The 3XL's screen is light years ahead of the 2XL screen, the build quality is much better and allows for wireless charging, but I can't say the rest of the phone is much of an improvement.

The issues I'm having are the sound recording during video, some of the camera features, app reloads, uneven speakers, speakers sound kinds muffled at low volumes and I am getting worse battery life than the previous phone. I feel Google will release some but update, like a maintenance release which will fix a lot of issues, though I don't know which can be fixed just with software and which may be hardware related. I'd say this is a very iterative update from the Pixel 2, and with a lot of the camera features going to be available on the Pixel 2, I don't think this is worth upgrading to.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I went with a pixel 3 (not xl), if I we're going with the XL size I'd probably stick with 2Xl. I played with both at the store and ya the 3s screen is better, but with the cost you save upgrade to 4 xl next year.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I went from a Pixel 2 to a Pixel 3 XL. I love the XL, but my phone use doesn't justify the cost. So, I kinda regret the upgrade while kinda not regretting the upgrade.