Using dark mode helps battery

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, not sure why they're pushing white... especially if dark saves battery wouldn't it by default make more sense to extend battery life?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Agreed, not sure why they're pushing white... especially if dark saves battery wouldn't it by default make more sense to extend battery life?

Guess it was that material design they were looking for but realized it's not good for battery

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I miss the old days when Android was dark by default, before material design made everything bright and white.

Because material design tends to look a lot nicer. And they were designing for LCD where it didn't really matter in terms of battery life.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Everyone was saying this when Material Design was revealed and had everything white. That was a big criticism that I remember of MD.

Finally they are doing something about it.

zrajm

Nov 12, 2018
Visit site
From a UI perspective, using a bright background cuts down on the (perceived) reflections on the screen, and is therefore beneficial for the users in a brightly lit environment. It also increases the readability of text. I bet this is why we see lots of apps and computer interfaces with bright backgrounds. : )

P.S. The above doesn't mean that I like it. I think it's annoying as hell (I wish there was a decent way to make my browser dark).

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
From a UI perspective, using a bright background cuts down on the (perceived) reflections on the screen, and is therefore beneficial for the users in a brightly lit environment. It also increases the readability of text.
Both of these things are real issues. If you're doing a lot of reading on your phone, night mode could be headache inducing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12