Absent face unlock/3d face id

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ah I personally wouldn't like it just due to the security aspect. I assume Google agrees and that's why they didn't do it.

Correct for security like Bank app but I need just to unlock , but they should of went like iPhone 3d face unlock or even Iris like Samsung

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Correct for security like Bank app but I need just to unlock , but they should of went like iPhone 3d face unlock or even Iris like Samsung

I think that's why though.. they want the phone to have secure options and since that isn't secure (even for unlocking) is why they didn't include it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think that's why though.. they want the phone to have secure options and since that isn't secure (even for unlocking) is why they didn't include it.

Do you think they don't have the technology to implement it with being secure like the other 2 manufacturer do it? Just curious maybe they haven't dive into that area yet.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you think they don't have the technology to implement it with being secure like the other 2 manufacturer do it? Just curious maybe they haven't dive into that area yet.

They'd have to do something like Face ID for it to be really secure. Just having the camera look at your face can be really easily fooled.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They'd have to do something like Face ID for it to be really secure. Just having the camera look at your face can be really easily fooled.

I can understand that but why you think they didn't do something like face id ? Are they not interested or lack of resources for it?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

It could very well be that they would have to pay royalties to either Huawei's tech or Apple's tech (which I don't think Apple would accept) or come up with an entirely different AI smarts tech. I believe it could be the latter.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It could very well be that they would have to pay royalties to either Huawei's tech or Apple's tech (which I don't think Apple would accept) or come up with an entirely different AI smarts tech. I believe it could be the latter.

That's a strong possibility also

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
All these companies definitely have lots of prototype of different kinds of things. I'm pretty sure Google has this working to some level in their labs but they also have to think about how it fits in the main Android AOSP source and how this integrates with their current Android API that uses fingerprint authentication to secure everything else. They don't want it just for face unlock, they want it like face id which can be used to authenticate apps etc. Google just can't worry about Pixel especially when designing features like face id, they got think about the Android ecosystem as well. If it's just launcher like Pixel launcher that's different but face authentication got to be built into core Android and available to all OEMs who just have to have the required hardware and call in the secure face unlock API built into Android just like it does for fingerprint.
My guess is they were just not ready with the proper end to end integration/story and will have it on next version of Android and Pixel 4.
That's a strong possibility also

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm really surprised Google didn't add this especially it has dual camera on front screen. Is it possible with software tweak they can give like maybe face unlock?

I was shocked as well that they stuck that huge notch on the front with those two gigantic cameras just for better selfies....... I thought for sure we were getting face ID :O
It seems like a real wasted opportunity to make the phone more appealing..... especially considering Google's strong point is software :-[
It probably would of helped make that pricetag a little easier to swallow lol.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yup still on 2xl Mike

My 2015 Moto X Pure has face unlock...... and Google had a big hand in developing that phone, that was the only phone Google designed while owning Motorola. Great phone....a lot like the pixel 2 and 3 in overall design ;-)