Absent face unlock/3d face id

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm really surprised Google didn't add this especially it has dual camera on front screen. Is it possible with software tweak they can give like maybe face unlock?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The face lock that was/is available in Android is not safe and secure. Hence I think when Google is boasting about Titan chip and how secure Pixel is, it would be a bad decision to include the face unlock without using IR and other tech like Huawei and Apple are doing.

We will probably see it in Pixel 4 but it's a bummer they didn't with the 3.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The face lock that was/is available in Android is not safe and secure. Hence I think when Google is boasting about Titan chip and how secure Pixel is, it would be a bad decision to include the face unlock without using IR and other tech like Huawei and Apple are doing.

Yeah guess your right

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm really surprised Google didn't add this especially it has dual camera on front screen. Is it possible with software tweak they can give like maybe face unlock?

I know right? I though Google would have put some sort of face recognition.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Safe or unsafe, I don't see the point. If I were to pick up the Pixel so it could look at my face I would have already touched the fingerprint scanner. My fingerprint doesn't change.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Safe or unsafe, I don't see the point. If I were to pick up the Pixel so it could look at my face I would have already touched the fingerprint scanner. My fingerprint doesn't change.

It nice to have the option especially with 2 camera on the front

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I agree with this.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I came over from iPhone as I wasn't a fan of what faceid looked like, I'm sure it'll come down the line but doesn't matter to me I prefer not to use it

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's not a deal breaker for sure but definitely useful in many scenarios like when your fingers are sweaty, watery, greasy, wearing gloves and scenarios like that. It's just another means to unlock and works pretty great on phones I have used (secure and unsecure versions).
And if they use technology like one used in iPhone and Huawei it does work in all conditions/lighting as opposed to OnePlus which just uses RGB sensor in the camera and works only in good lighting conditions.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's not a deal breaker for sure but definitely useful in many scenarios like when your fingers are sweaty, watery, greasy, wearing gloves and scenarios like that. It's just another means to unlock and works pretty great on phones I have used (secure and unsecure versions).
And if they use technology like one used in iPhone and Huawei it does work in all conditions/lighting as opposed to OnePlus which just uses RGB sensor in the camera and works only in good lighting conditions.

Exactly..I wear gloves and hands could be dirty at times..I like how u can set it up on iPhone to unlock bank apps

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
It's not a deal breaker for sure but definitely useful in many scenarios like when your fingers are sweaty, watery, greasy, wearing gloves and scenarios like that.

I agree. Comes in handy but surely not a deal breaker and not my reason for purchase.

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree with all the posts that Google should have included this. The Pixel line is Google's flagship showcasing the future of Android and Face Unlock should be part of it

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree with all the posts that Google should have included this. The Pixel line is Google's flagship showcasing the future of Android and Face Unlock should be part of it

It standard on lot of phones, they decided to go with the notch I'm all for it but make use of it .