Lifelong BlackBerry user looking at 3XL

chrispmoto

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone, have decided to try something new, the latest BlackBerry seems to have gone a step backwards in the camera department, and the recent phones just check too many of the boxes for me, waterproofing, wireless charging, and a great camera!
Also looking at the Mate 20 Pro.
Curious if any other BlackBerry users have switched to the Pixel and what they think? I will be installing the Hub and Keyboard, but am concerned about not having the flashing LED on the 3. I guess I could live without it, but am curious how you folks like your 3XL.
Thanks!

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone, have decided to try something new, the latest BlackBerry seems to have gone a step backwards in the camera department, and the recent phones just check too many of the boxes for me, waterproofing, wireless charging, and a great camera!
Also looking at the Mate 20 Pro.
Curious if any other BlackBerry users have switched to the Pixel and what they think? I will be installing the Hub and Keyboard, but am concerned about not having the flashing LED on the 3. I guess I could live without it, but am curious how you folks like your 3XL.
Thanks!

I switched from BB a long time ago and I'm glad I did. If you decided to go with the Pixel, you'll be amazed at the photos taken with the camera.

bcfour

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I just swtiched to the pixel 3xl after more than 20 years of blackberries. I'm moving from the KeyOne and was absolutely terrified of not having a physical keyboard. Now I've always had a second phone and know how to type on a glass screen, but I needed that physical keyboard for speed. I could crank out 80 wpm on that keyboard.

After a week with the 3xl, I'm now just wondering why i waited so long to convert. It has been an amazing experience. No more lag. No more reboots. Just a great user experience.

And the camera. Omg.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just swtiched to the pixel 3xl after more than 20 years of blackberries. I'm moving from the KeyOne and was absolutely terrified of not having a physical keyboard. Now I've always had a second phone and know how to type on a glass screen, but I needed that physical keyboard for speed. I could crank out 80 wpm on that keyboard.

After a week with the 3xl, I'm now just wondering why i waited so long to convert. It has been an amazing experience. No more lag. No more reboots. Just a great user experience.

And the camera. Omg.

Great to hear when someone is satisfied with their transformation.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

And the camera. Omg.

Yeah the camera is AMAZING!. My last BB was the Bold 9700

chrispmoto

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site

And the camera. Omg.
No more lag and reboots....I can't even imagine!!!!!!

chrispmoto

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
If you like the BB keyboard, and calendar and hub and all that ..checkout colbat323/blackberry after you switch to the 3xl.
For sure getting those. It's what is keeping me from going Apple. (The keyboard mainly)
My wife is huge IPhone lover, and wants me to convert.
We do have and love a Mac desktop, so not gonna lie, I think about going iPhone ...(till I remember about the keyboard. )

bcfour

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I probably should have mentioned that the first thing i did was purchase Hub Services and install the BB Hub. The email integration is second to none and works flawlessly on the pixel. The app actually flies.

I'm using the BB calendar but sticking with Google stock contacts (yeah, dark mode).

aecgda

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I went from the Blackberry Motion to the Pixel 3XL. I was very happy with the Motion and the battery is incredible. Pixel is an excellent phone and very fast. Not cheap though. First thing I did too was load all the Blackberry apps. I couldn't live without the Blackberry hub and amazing keyboard. Pixel doesn't have the LED notification light which I miss but you can just pick the phone up and it shows you. Very good display, camera and sound on the Pixel.

chrispmoto

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I went from the Blackberry Motion to the Pixel 3XL. I was very happy with the Motion and the battery is incredible. Pixel is an excellent phone and very fast. Not cheap though. First thing I did too was load all the Blackberry apps. I couldn't live without the Blackberry hub and amazing keyboard. Pixel doesn't have the LED notification light which I miss but you can just pick the phone up and it shows you. Very good display, camera and sound on the Pixel.
Thanks everyone.... Hey, has anyone tried the new App, "Pixel Pulse" which is a new way to get "flashing" notifications??
I have have been checking it out, but no way to try it since I am still running my Blackberry.
I believe it's available in the Playstore.....

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone.... Hey, has anyone tried the new App, "Pixel Pulse" which is a new way to get "flashing" notifications??
I have have been checking it out, but no way to try it since I am still running my Blackberry.
I believe it's available in the Playstore.....

Upon installation it says that you have to turn your always on display off so for me it's a no

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I wouldn't trade my KEY2/KEY2 LE for ANY piece of glass.
Physical keys ftw when it comes to typing anything.

However if I wanted to dual carry (primarily for camera and watching movies) then I'd prob opt for the Pixel 3 non-XL.

kbalaz

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Same boat. I went through 9700, 9800, 9860, z10, z30, Passport and yes I even have 2 Playbooks. I went with the Pixel 2XL last year and now with Android Pie, it was an easy switch. I still miss physical keyboard once in awhile, but the pros switching so far outweigh the pk it isn't even funny. Not going to mention the camera because everyone else has already, but the OS wasn't all that much different than BB10. Like others, not sure why I was hanging on to my Blackberry for so long.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Like others, not sure why I was hanging on to my Blackberry for so long.

Maybe because typing on glass is "meh" at best and "omfg what is this innacurate POS autocorrect mess" at worst...

Aside from that, the soft touch back instead of this glass nonsense as well as LED notification light are some of the reasons people stick to their Berrys, or at least dual carry them along with a slab.

kbalaz

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Maybe because typing on glass is "meh" at best and "omfg what is this innacurate POS autocorrect mess" at worst...

Aside from that, the soft touch back instead of this glass nonsense as well as LED notification light are some of the reasons people stick to their Berrys, or at least dual carry them along with a slab.

pixel has LED notification, but it works as you say "meh" at best. Hit or miss, sometimes its there and sometimes it isn't. I could see myself dual carrying another BlackBerry. My Passport still works, but occasionally it started developing the dreaded SOS and not being able to connect to the network. briefly, but annoying non the less.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
My Passport still works, but occasionally it started developing the dreaded SOS and not being able to connect to the network. briefly, but annoying non the less.

"Annoying" ?

More like catastrophic failure. The funniest thing is when Passport die-hard bash TCL's devices and praise that phone like the ultimate tank, yet it has one of the worst possible failures in a phone.