11-19-2018 09:55 PM
151 ... 23456 ...
tools
    And he's right....in the last 2 years flagships from Apple/Samsung/and now Google have jumped up an unexplainable, inexcusable, beyond ridiculous amount. Price jumps WAYY beyond normal inflation.... and we all know it.

We're being gouged, and it's up to us as individuals to decide if we're okay with that.
    I think that overtime we lose sight of the real value of a dollar. For some people it may actually be a lot of money. For a lot of people that come here that are trading up every 6 months to a year and some of them owning mulitple phones the money isn't an issue.
    11-14-2018 03:55 AM
    Yes it is a bit costly, google should consider a pixel the mid range section too, otherwise phones like POCO and 1+ will take away most of their market as they offer much more in better price.
    11-14-2018 06:00 AM
    And he's right....in the last 2 years flagships from Apple/Samsung/and now Google have jumped up an unexplainable, inexcusable, beyond ridiculous amount. Price jumps WAYY beyond normal inflation.... and we all know it.

We're being gouged, and it's up to us as individuals to decide if we're okay with that.
    If we were being gouged or the phones were significantly over priced, then a phone like the 1+ would easily dominate the market, but that is not what is happening. Samsung & Apple in particular continue to lead the market by a clear margin. They have created brands that have value. People happily plop down their dollars to buy the new one right at launch.

A thing is worth what people are willing to pay for it. Right now, a large segment of the market eagerly pays $1K for a flagship phone. Why would Apple/Samsung charge less? Honestly, to do so would be malfeasance.

Also you can't claim you are being gouged when there are so many other choices that can be made. How many value brands are out there? Choose one of them. The very fact that this discussion exists proves the value of the Apple/Samsung devices, otherwise there would be no hesitation to buy a Moto or 1+.

As an aside, traditionally, gouging is when a company/person uses temporary scarcity to drastically increase the cost of an item. For example, charging 10x what you normally charge for water/building supplies after a natural disaster.
    11-14-2018 06:51 AM
    Yes it is a bit costly, google should consider a pixel the mid range section too, otherwise phones like POCO and 1+ will take away most of their market as they offer much more in better price.
    When you use those brands as a price comparison, you're not considering the total package. Hardware is not the only reason to by a phone for everyone.
    11-14-2018 07:12 AM
    Flagships tend to be overpriced, regardless of which manufacturer you go with. I'm not defending the Pixel 3 line - I do think it's expensive - but every manufacturer knows that if a consumer *really* wants the phone, the consumer will pay that price for it. It's unfortunate but that's the way the cookie crumbles!

I may even go back to a mid-range phone like OnePlus when I upgrade in a year. Or not. I guess we'll see! I dislike spending $1000 on a phone.
    11-14-2018 07:28 AM
    To get more market share I think they should of dropped the price to 700-ish or lower
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-14-2018 08:05 AM
    I'll be honest....I don't care what Flossy thinks. His reviews are good, like several other YouTubers, bbut once they throw in their own opinion, I stop listening.

Is the phone overpriced...yeah. But it could be worse. It could be competing against the iPhone or Note 9 in terms of price.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-14-2018 08:32 AM
    Mike Dee is still playing with a pixel 2 XL
    He hasn't upgraded yet !
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-14-2018 08:44 AM
    He hasn't upgraded yet !
    I heard that rumor going around 😂
    11-14-2018 08:46 AM
    He hasn't upgraded yet !
    What are you talking about? I received my 3XL before you.
    11-14-2018 08:57 AM
    What are you talking about? I received my 3XL before you.
    Looked at yer data, said pixel 2 XL

Tried to update mine.
    Time has been expired.

Thanks for letting me know.
    11-14-2018 09:00 AM
    Looked at yer data, said pixel 2 XL

Tried to update mine.
    Time has been expired.

Thanks for letting me know.
    Oh that....lol
    We have been discussing the 3XL since release though.
    11-14-2018 09:06 AM
    Don't think we are threw with discussion yet either.
    11-14-2018 09:08 AM
    Don't think we are threw with discussion yet either.
    One can only hope
    anon(10092459) and chezm like this.
    11-14-2018 09:51 AM
    I love my Pixel 3 XL, but I do think it is overpriced. Pretty much all phones are overpriced these days.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-14-2018 10:21 AM
    Everything goes up, 20 years ago Milk was $1 a gallon, gas was $1.20 a gallon and a 20oz Soda was .75¢. But when the phones are all in the same range one cannot say it's overpriced without knowing cost for the manufacturer to build the phone. Is it not worth it to you is a different argument that only you can decide. I for one love mine. But I can't answer for you. Get what you love and love what you get.
    11-14-2018 11:30 AM
    Everything goes up, 20 years ago Milk was $1 a gallon, gas was $1.20 a gallon and a 20oz Soda was .75¢. But when the phones are all in the same range one cannot say it's overpriced without knowing cost for the manufacturer to build the phone. Is it not worth it to you is a different argument that only you can decide. I for one love mine. But I can't answer for you. Get what you love and love what you get.
    I would have thrown printer ink into the mix....lol
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-14-2018 12:41 PM
    I'll be honest....I don't care what Flossy thinks. His reviews are good, like several other YouTubers, bbut once they throw in their own opinion, I stop listening.

Is the phone overpriced...yeah. But it could be worse. It could be competing against the iPhone or Note 9 in terms of price.
    You bring up a very good point about the price, and especially about the YouTube reviewer's opinion. As soon as reviewers start giving their own opinions on a phone, I tune out. I may even switch channels. 🤣
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    11-14-2018 12:59 PM
    I had to pay more for it than I would have liked, but I have a difficult time saying it is over-priced without some sales data. How many more units would they sell if the price was lowered by $100. My guess is not enough to make up for the lower price -- so therefore not over-priced.

The argument being made here, that the price should be tightly tied to the included features, is fallacious. The only part of pricing that is related to the cost of goods (how much it costs to build the device) is in setting a floor price, that is the lowest price you could sell it for and make a profit. The rest of the price is then perceived value. Buying phones is much more of an emotional decision than most folks will admit. After selecting/buying a phone, people then reverse engineer their decision making.

My guess is, that if we all acted like economic buyers, totally rational, none of us would have a current generation phone.
    I agree
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    11-14-2018 01:14 PM
    My Pixel 3 XL isn't an overpriced phone.

And that's because what I actually have is an excellent pocket computer that includes a top flight camera and just happens to have a phone in it!

And for that I was more than happy to drop a grand.
    xzell, Morty2264 and illiniah like this.
    11-14-2018 02:19 PM
    I think 'dream' is the right term lol
    One can only hope
    11-14-2018 02:20 PM
    My Pixel 3 XL isn't an overpriced phone.

And that's because what I actually have is an excellent pocket computer that includes a top flight camera and just happens to have a phone in it!

And for that I was more than happy to drop a grand.
    Mine is underpriced at MSRP. After I use a phone the value goes up.
    anon(10092459) and xzell like this.
    11-14-2018 02:22 PM
    Price jumps WAYY beyond normal inflation.... and we all know it.
    You mean normal inflation of consumer goods, not the actual inflation of consumer electronic components, right?
    11-14-2018 02:37 PM
    This is a comparison of flagship phone pricing that I put together a bit ago:

Anyone still thinking pixel 3 is overpriced?-flagship-costs.png

"As you can see, the average price of flagships crossed $250 between 2014 and 2015 and is now averaging over $350 and the average price of non-flagships crossed $250 between 2016 and 2017 and is now averaging over $281. There is a problem with the data in that it only includes Samsung and Apple phones, with 1 Google phone. Adding in other OEM's would make the data better. And the BOM is not an all inclusive number, so you cannot calculate margin off of it."
    11-14-2018 02:55 PM
    Yeah, it is.
    11-14-2018 05:05 PM
151 ... 23456 ...