Anyone still thinking pixel 3 is overpriced?

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Just saw Flossy Carter real review and he mentioned that he like the phone but he also thought pixel 3 is overpriced, lack of features, boring OS and this phone should be $699.

Anyone thinking the same?

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think they all overpriced phones today
boring OS? well it doesn't lag ever..
this phone is similar to iPhone , simple to use don't give much problem and don't over bear you with features they concentrate on key areas that matter.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If that's what Flossy thinks I'm not going to try to change his mind. Considering the way he drops money on phones it's a drop in the bucket for him. Its not a hardware beast....surprise surprise. As far as a boring OS, it's close to vanilla Android as Google intends it. I'm not sure what he or anyone like him expected but I knew that before his review.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think he meant lack (not lag) of features

Flossy is a big fan of phones full of features and gimmicks. He openly says that, and that's why loves his Huawei and Samsung phones. He likes Pixel but he doesn't value security/platform updates and thinks they are over priced for what it offers. I disagree but that's expected as everyone has different expectations.
this phone is similar to iPhone , simple to use don't give much problem and don't over bear you with features they concentrate on key areas that matter.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Nah man....I'm happy to pay extra to be part of the club.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think the Pixel 3 is $50 too much and $749 would've been perfect. That said, if $50 is the difference between getting the phone and not getting the phone, get a 1+6t instead and get on with your life.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
For me being on a Pixel 2 I think it's too much for what I am getting. There's not a whole lot the Pixel 3 offers over the Pixel 2 to justify the $500 it will cost me to upgrade.

If you are coming from a first gen Pixel, it's probably worth it.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I loved my 2 XL for the year I had it. However I was more than willing to upgrade and pay for a screen that would rank among the very best. After all, I do spend a number of hours looking at this screen every day. For me that was my main motivation to upgrade. The rest of the improvements are frosting on the cake. I'd buy my 3 XL again in a heartbeat!

I'll also add that my Kate says that her 3 XL is the first phone she's ever had that she really likes and really enjoys using! She loves the camera! Remember that old saying, "If the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"! :)

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I love my pixel but yeah definitely overpriced

I don't get it. Here in the UK the smaller Pixel 3 costs the equivalent of $952. The iPhone XS costs $1,287. I'm absolutely OK with the Pixel costing so much less than the iPhone XS. A bit of a bargain quite honestly. You have plenty of choice with Android to pay less - but there are always compromises and, for me, it is usually the camera. With the Pixel 3 we get an equivalent experience to the iPhone XS with a better camera AND for $305 less!

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The pixel 3 is definitely overpriced. Other high priced flagships, and even more budget friendly phones, offer many more features. But of course no one can tell another how to spend their money. So it's all subjective any way.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
OK. I'm within the Pixel 3 return window - can you recommend a phone which is correctly priced and similar to the Pixel 3? I am genuinely open to suggestions. I prefer a smaller device.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the "they're all over-priced" camp, but find the Pixel 3 is a nice package of hardware and software. Like the barebones Android much better than all the crap on a Samsung phone. I really don't like gimmicky or over-complicated software, I'm looking for easily accessible and reliable features that I can actually use. Given how well the Pixel serves me for what I do with a phone, relative to other phones I find it worth the price. On the other hand, "they're all over-priced" :).

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Also in the "all phones are overpriced" group, but love my pixel 3 and the package of hardware/software is premium to me. I got a pixel 3 for it's simplified minimalist OS and speed, in a comfortable form factor which it is.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The phone is overpriced. There's no denying that. Software notwithstanding, the Pixel on hardware alone looks to cost less than an a Note 9, and yet they cost the same (both 128GB versions go for like $999 according to some sites I've seen). That alone shows that Google charges a higher overhead for the Pixel hardware for hardware than Samsung.
The counter here is that, is the stock Android experience and camera software worth that much to you over what the hardware offers? Because in the end, that's the justification. While Samsung can say, hey we have new hardware goodies that added to the cost like a blutooth powered pen, Google can say, well, software development costs something and while our money didn't go to the hardware, they went to that.

Anyway, Flossy calls all flagship phones overpriced anyway.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
If you judge phones like he does, where every feature (hardware and software) adds value to the phone, then yes, the Pixel 3 isn't impressive and is grossly overpriced. Feature for feature, you're going to get much better bang for your buck with other phones. On a hardware level, this phone really isn't very impressive. Only 4gb ram, only 64gb storage base model, paltry 3,430mah battery, a second rate screen on the 3, low brightness screens. Cheaper phones have 6gb ram, 128gb storage base, larger batteries etc. Google is just being extremely cheap with the hardware.

There are a handful of things that the pixel does better than other phones: camera, updates and clean software.

So unless you're an absolutely die-hard Google/Pixel fan or absolutely must have those three features, then I think other phones are better value. And I think Flossy is right, the software isn't very feature rich and is quite boring. I don't mind it, but again, value for money, other phones offer more.

I don't think the Pixel 3 is the best Android phone for consumers. I think I'm going to move to the Galaxy S10 next year and unless Google stop screwing around and the Pixel 4, I'll skip that too.

Bon Hernandez

Oct 14, 2018
Visit site
OK. I'm within the Pixel 3 return window - can you recommend a phone which is correctly priced and similar to the Pixel 3? I am genuinely open to suggestions. I prefer a smaller device.

I think someone suggested the OnePlus 6T, I would suggest that phone too.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I just noticed you want a smaller device, that's interestingly hard to find nowadays

Yes it is. I had a Samsung Galaxy S9 but wasn't keen on all the Samsung stuff pre-installed which I never used and could only disable. I tried the iPhone XS - much more expensive - but really felt suffocated by iOS. All the other 'best' phones are so big nowadays. I want to be able to slip a phone in my jeans front pocket and be able to sit down or tie my shoe laces without doing myself a mischief. The Pixel 3 is the ideal size for me to be honest. I have looked at the OnePlus 6T and the Huawei Mate 20 Pro - but both are too big.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet