Anyone still thinking pixel 3 is overpriced?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The phone is overpriced. There's no denying that. Software notwithstanding, the Pixel on hardware alone looks to cost less than an a Note 9, and yet they cost the same (both 128GB versions go for like $999 according to some sites I've seen). That alone shows that Google charges a higher overhead for the Pixel hardware for hardware than Samsung.
The counter here is that, is the stock Android experience and camera software worth that much to you over what the hardware offers? Because in the end, that's the justification. While Samsung can say, hey we have new hardware goodies that added to the cost like a blutooth powered pen, Google can say, well, software development costs something and while our money didn't go to the hardware, they went to that.

Anyway, Flossy calls all flagship phones overpriced anyway.

I'll deny it. The market decides what's overpriced and OEMs will adjust accordingly over time. Declaring something overpriced depends on perspective. If we are simply talking hardware specs, there are less expensive alternatives, none of which interest me. If we are talking about affordable products based on income, Pixel is not anywhere close to a bargain. If you have disposable income it doesn't matter how much it costs. I'm going to take the unpopular stance and state that I don't care about cost within the current price range of competitors. It's not about price....I see something I like and I run with it. I realize that not everyone can do that but there are alternatives out there.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I had to pay more for it than I would have liked, but I have a difficult time saying it is over-priced without some sales data. How many more units would they sell if the price was lowered by $100. My guess is not enough to make up for the lower price -- so therefore not over-priced.

The argument being made here, that the price should be tightly tied to the included features, is fallacious. The only part of pricing that is related to the cost of goods (how much it costs to build the device) is in setting a floor price, that is the lowest price you could sell it for and make a profit. The rest of the price is then perceived value. Buying phones is much more of an emotional decision than most folks will admit. After selecting/buying a phone, people then reverse engineer their decision making.

My guess is, that if we all acted like economic buyers, totally rational, none of us would have a current generation phone.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
With the Pixel 3 we get an equivalent experience to the iPhone XS with a better camera AND for $305 less!

My thoughts exactly. That extra money could go towards so many other things. For example Christmas is around the corner :)

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Unless the argument is that all flagship phones are overpriced, the Pixel 3 cannot be considered overpriced. It directly competes with, and in many cases exceeds, its similarly priced peers. If the argument is that all flagship phones are overpriced, then that argument should be made based on arguments relating to market demand and should be informed of component and supply chain costs, etc. Any argument that is based on, "I don't want to pay that much for it" is fallacious and should not be considered.

vlok16

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think I can justify paying that much... I literally just finished paying from my OG Pixel XL earlier this month through Google Financing so I don't want to jump into another 2 year payment cycle right now... The one aspect that bothers me about the phones is the base 32GB of storage, that was on phones about 4-5 years ago, we should be starting with at least 64GB at these prices with the high end of 256 not 128

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
OK. I'm within the Pixel 3 return window - can you recommend a phone which is correctly priced and similar to the Pixel 3? I am genuinely open to suggestions. I prefer a smaller device.

There are no phones similar to the Pixel 3 except the iphones, which are priced the same.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think I can justify paying that much... I literally just finished paying from my OG Pixel XL earlier this month through Google Financing so I don't want to jump into another 2 year payment cycle right now... The one aspect that bothers me about the phones is the base 32GB of storage, that was on phones about 4-5 years ago, we should be starting with at least 64GB at these prices with the high end of 256 not 128

Great news, we're starting with 64 now. Actually since last year, but now too.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Just saw Flossy Carter real review and he mentioned that he like the phone but he also thought pixel 3 is overpriced, lag of features, boring OS and this phone should be $699.

Anyone thinking the same?

Me.

But I think all flagship phones are overpriced.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Just saw Flossy Carter real review and he mentioned that he like the phone but he also thought pixel 3 is overpriced, lag of features, boring OS and this phone should be $699.

I'd say the pixel 3 xl is prob a little overpriced but so is the note 9 and iPhone XS etc.. This is an industry wide issue and I believe that's why Samsung has so many offers for their phones. Only apple is really able to get away with the prices they charge without offering some type of sale/extras. I'm just glad the pixel didn't start at $999

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I'd say the pixel 3 xl is prob a little overpriced but so is the note 9 and iPhone XS etc.. This is an industry wide issue and I believe that's why Samsung has so many offers for their phones. Only apple is really able to get away with the prices they charge without offering some type of sale/extras. I'm just glad the pixel didn't start at $999

My original thought when I saw the Pixel 3 was releasing at $799 was first shock but then wondered if that at least leaves them some room to discount it this time around, since the smaller Pixel 2 was never discounted, only the XL variant.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

Agree completely. At a lower price I might take a chance, even with all the problems it's having. As it is, Google may be pushing me into Apples arms. I still haven't decided yet lol.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
My take on the OP's question is do I need a new phone in the ffirst place. If I needed a new phone I'd be all over the P3 and not really consider the price so $$ not a factor. Since I have a perfectly fine, good as new P2, the price of upgrading definitely comes into my thinking in which case for me personally, yes, to much $$ and not worth the price of the upgrade. $800 to fix what ain't broke equates to not enough value back for required cash outlay.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
My take on the OP's question is do I need a new phone in the ffirst place. If I needed a new phone I'd be all over the P3 and not really consider the price so $$ not a factor. Since I have a perfectly fine, good as new P2, the price of upgrading definitely comes into my thinking in which case for me personally, yes, to much $$ and not worth the price of the upgrade. $800 to fix what ain't broke equates to not enough value back for required cash outlay.

It's not so much fixing what ain't before broke as it is introducing a new set of problems from what I gather.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I think the Pixel line is overpriced. For my use cases the Pixels work best for me.

That said I am enjoying the Pixel 3 XL and the purchase price is a sunk cost and thus a moot point.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's not so much fixing what ain't before broke as it is introducing a new set of problems from what I gather.

I can't speak for anyone else but I've been using mine since the first week they were available and the issues I've heard about haven't impacted my life or my device except on a couple of occasions where the music player stopped while using the camera. That problem corrected itself after I played with adaptive battery off and on on the music apps for a few days.

The tinny audio issue seems to have improved but was never really big on my list. I can understand those that are expecting better results and if that's the case I recommend looking elsewhere.

The only other issue is the expectation that more apps stay in the background. That has not impacted my device usage, though I can understand how some might want to keep everything alive in the background. The only concern in that arena would be if I typed text into and app and it wasn't there because the app reloaded. I don't do that often but when I do I copy the text before exiting.

Does the phone come with some baggage?
Sure....show me one that doesn't.

Is this phone for everyone especially at it's price?
Of course not.

During my period of ownership overall it's been a pleasant experience. The phone is Rock solid in many respects and never hiccups. I'm sure many areas of concern will be addressed but in the meantime I'm just enjoying the overall experience.

No fanboyism or Stockholm Syndrome here...just pure joy.

Last edited:

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
No fanboyism or Stockholm Syndrome here...just pure joy.

You know, in the end, that is really all that matters. Price is like that initial shock you endure but fades away pretty quickly because it's just money. Kind of like that shock of jumping into a pool but then you get used to it pretty quickly and realize how nice it feels to just be in the water. Enjoying your device, whatever it is, is worth the price of admission.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc