Why Google Sticking with same design ?

aamir_must

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Why Google Sticking with same design even after three iterations of pixel ? Back in the days of Nexus, each nexus was unique in looks and design.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
My guess is branding. They want the devices to have a look and feel, so they are readily identifiable. The worst thing you can do for a brand is to make it radically different each year. They have to balance that with becoming stale, but right now I'd say the design rules they are following seem to work.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not really a matter of liking or not liking. I just prefer to see things changed up. The design is fine, other than the notch being deeper that I'd like. One of the reasons I dislike apple is their phones(hardware and software) look almost identical to each other over the years. But I do realize most android OS manufacturers keep a basic design for 2 years before changing it up dramatically. IMO the best looking phones out right now are the oneplus 6T and the new Huawei phones.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's not really a matter of liking or not liking. I just prefer to see things changed up. The design is fine, other than the notch being deeper that I'd like. One of the reasons I dislike apple is their phones(hardware and software) look almost identical to each other over the years. But I do realize most android OS manufacturers keep a basic design for 2 years before changing it up dramatically. IMO the best looking phones out right now are the oneplus 6T and the new Huawei phones.

I'm.not a fan of change for the sake of change especially if it's related to cosmetics. Having said that the current Pixels do not look like the first Pixels and although there are some similarities between the 2 and 3 series, there are definitive styling differences.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
They probably don't pay their "Fix it if it Ain't Broke" department much, so we don't see much "change for the sake of change". I'd rather see them spend their money on developing Camera 3 (or the camera chip that came in the Pixel 2, or the Titan security chip) than in changing the look of the phone.

Dean Liensdorf

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I like the design of all the pixels. They improve on the features and provide flagship specs in hardware. There's really only so much you can do with a phone and keep it functional, so the change comes in the OS and user interface.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Love the Pixel 3 hardware and software design, main reason I left iOS for Android again. Google should keep refining their formula as they have been, some disappointed this year wasn't enough but they pulled back this Apple user.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
It's not really a matter of liking or not liking. I just prefer to see things changed up. The design is fine, other than the notch being deeper that I'd like. One of the reasons I dislike apple is their phones(hardware and software) look almost identical to each other over the years.
What advantage does this provide? How does it improve the experience in any way?

IMO the best looking phones out right now are the oneplus 6T and the new Huawei phones.

Which has nothing to do with change for change's sake

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's hasn't been 3 years of the same design since the OG Pixel looks quite a bit different. Nothing wrong with having the same general design for 2 generations of phones. HTC was going with pretty much the same design for at least 4 years. Samsung has kept a similar design for their flagships through several generations.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I like the two tone look of the pixels..... it's an original, recognizable look that stands out and looks classy, that's why I use clear cases ;-)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I like the two tone look of the pixels..... it's an original, recognizable look that stands out and looks classy, that's why I use clear cases ;-)

I was actually disappointed that we lost the Panda look but two distinct colors is difficult with one piece of glass

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
It works well, has a killer camera and with my case it looks like everyone else in the world with a phone anyway. So design looks great for a minute, then I add my case and I am now mainly looking at the case manufacturers design. 😂

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
What advantage does this provide? How does it improve the experience in any way?

Which has nothing to do with change for change's sake

If you don't want it to change, that's fine. I like change. Surprised so many people are upset by this. Go get an apple if you want the exact same device with a processor bump.

Vega502

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
It's familiarity. The Pixel line is known for this style which looks good. I only wish there were more color options or a clear/smoked variant.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you don't want it to change, that's fine. I like change. Surprised so many people are upset by this. Go get an apple if you want the exact same device with a processor bump.

I don't see anyone as upset. They simply don't agree with your logic for change. Telling people to go buy an Apple might get people upset and I'm not sure why you feel the need to do so. Would you like it if someone tells you to go buy another brand with more change?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital