Why Google Sticking with same design ?

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Would you like it if someone tells you to go buy another brand with more change?

That would not make me upset in the least. lol If anyone gets upset with anything I've posted in this thread, they need to take the internet and the love of their phone a little less serious.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That would not make me upset in the least. lol If anyone gets upset with anything I've posted in this thread, they need to take the internet and the love of their phone a little less serious.

Again, I don't see anyone getting upset. You brought it up.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Again, I don't see anyone getting upset. You brought it up.

You suggested in your previous post that people may be upset at my comment.

Anyway, issue done. I'm allowed my opinion as well. I would have simply liked to see more of a change cosmetically. Others can and do disagree. No biggie.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
The Nexus designs did have a consistent theme, on both the front and back. The differences were subtle and generally were based on advances in general design and on who the various OEM partners were for any given year.

Links to images to show this
Backs https://pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Nexus_Line.jpg
Fronts https://cdn.tgdd.vn/Files/2015/09/24/707376/nexus-series.jpg

Same pattern on the last Nexus phones
https://www.xda-developers.com/files/2016/08/AndroidPIT-Nexus-family-group-shot-1024x576.jpg

The front of the Pixels follow the same trend
http://techusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Pixel1-Pixel2-Pixel3-696x465.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You suggested in your previous post that people may be upset at my comment.

Anyway, issue done. I'm allowed my opinion as well. I would have simply liked to see more of a change cosmetically. Others can and do disagree. No biggie.

Correct....it works both ways. You are allowed your opinions but don't be surprised if people disagree and it doesn't necessarily mean they are upset.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Correct....it works both ways. You are allowed your opinions but don't be surprised if people disagree and it doesn't necessarily mean they are upset.

lol You need therapy. All this because I posted one sentence agreeing with the OP. lol Give it a rest.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
lol You need therapy. All this because I posted one sentence agreeing with the OP. lol Give it a rest.

I would like to suggest that no one wants me to have an opinion about this conversation. Including me. Can we all just agree to move on for now?

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
If you don't want it to change, that's fine. I like change. Surprised so many people are upset by this. Go get an apple if you want the exact same device with a processor bump.

No one is upset. We're just pointing out that most people are fine with Google not wasting resources on design changes that are there just for the sake of change. Most of us would rather those resources go to things that actually improve the experience.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
How is it different from other manufacturers? Sure it's not like Apple who looks the same every year, but their design language is evolving at around the same rate as Samsung. I mean look at the S6 to S9 and Pixel to Pixel 3. Each year it's a subtle redesign, keeping largely the same look but overall changed quite a bit.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Why would someone go get an Apple when this is an Android phone? Design is merely one aspect of the overall device. Changing to another OS is something else entirely.

There are other Android devices that run the same design for multiple years, but still run the same fundamental OS, Samsung being the most notable. Their current design started back in the S7, which started out as a somewhat large bezel phone and then shrunk the bezels with each following model, same as the Pixel line has done, and they're in their third year of this design. HTC did it as well with the One M7 through the M9 line, and if anything they changed their phone less through each progressive design than Google has done with the Pixels. When these OEMs have iterative designs, it seems to run in a 3 year cycle, which is where the Pixel is now.

Some have brought up that it's a branding thing, and that's probably a big reason why they are doing what they are. They didn't have to worry about branding with the Nexus line, because it was directed at a small group of developers and tech geeks. But when they switched to the Pixel line, they were targeting the general public, and having a recognizable design is key to growing a brand with people who are less involved in the intricacies of the industry.

There are lots of other companies that do that. Car companies often times have certain body parts that are instantly recognizable as being from a specific manufacturer, and many times those design cues carry on for decades. Hell, listen to an AC/DC or Queen song and you'll note the signature guitar riffs that are inextricably linked to that band. The thing is on something like a smartphone, there isn't a whole lot of room to differentiate from other OEMs' offerings, let alone their own. And if they take it too far, they risk alienating those who liked what you have previously done (the Band-Aid design of the Galaxy S5 or the rear design of the LG G5 for example).

Design is a big part of a smartphone, but it isn't the only part. Few people are going to buy a phone with a killer design if the rest is lacking, but more are likely to buy a phone with a bland design if the rest is worthwhile.
If you don't want it to change, that's fine. I like change. Surprised so many people are upset by this. Go get an apple if you want the exact same device with a processor bump.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I was actually disappointed that we lost the Panda look but two distinct colors is difficult with one piece of glass

I completely agree, I really want a panda and may still pick one up if feasible ;-)
I have to say though I also like the metal/glass look of the original :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree, I really want a panda and may still pick one up if feasible ;-)
I have to say though I also like the metal/glass look of the original :)

They could probably achieve a two tone look by using clear glass and frosting it from the inside but I imagine that would add to cost.

The clearly white does have a distinctive look but it loses some if that even with a clear case. I'm actually using a tempered glass case which gives it a nice look but it appears almost like one shade.

Last edited:

cactuspete23

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Almost Every phone is starting to look the same with similar features... Soon even entry level phones may do 90% of what flagships do. Then market share and profits of the big companies will drop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01