Will my Pixel 3 XL wireless charge slower with a case?

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have an app through the Google play store that tells you the speed at which your phone is charging. Also using a timer determined that having a thicker case on the phone it slows the charging speed. Google says this is not true. Can anyone give me any factual information on this? I have searched the internet. Thank you in advance.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have an app through the Google play store that tells you the speed at which your phone is charging. Also using a timer determined that having a thicker case on the phone it slows the charging speed. Google says this is not true. Can anyone give me any factual information on this? I have searched the internet. Thank you in advance.

It typically won't affect charging speed but if it's thick enough I suppose it could add resistance.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Depends likely on the thickness of the case as mentioned above. A thick enough case can lift the phone away enough to even prevent charging. Then you have the materials to consider that may block the signal for whatever reason. Basically it's still a signal, the wireless charger is emitting a signal that the phone accepts and converts to energy. Typically the signal range is 0.5cm. If you factor in a heavy duty case+the thickness of the phone's back glass, it can reach 0.5cm pretty quickly, which could lead to slower charging (farther from signal source, weaker signal) or block it altogether. A thin case would likely have no effect.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ideally, you should remove the case from the phone before you charge the phone. Heat causes a battery longer to charge.

If it's the average case removal is not generally necessary. Some cases may not disperse heat efficiently , however heat by itself does not cause a battery to take longer to charge. Heat is caused by losses due to resistance or by a high rate of charge due to the phone using draining by charging.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the screenshot right now but this same wireless charging with a case on goes down to about 660
633a494e594498a5fa6120a175f25be4.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I don't have the Google wireless charger yet, but on my Samsung fast wireless charger it won't charge unless I take the case off then from there very slow charging. Now I Kno Google has different charging standard then the rest . My Samsung fast wireless charger charges all my Samsung phones and apple with no issues even with cases on

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I don't think I will ever go back to using a case after falling love with skins. Thankfully I am not the clumsy type so I can get away with it. And with skins, no issues that I have noticed in regards to wireless charging.

wbkchan

Nov 15, 2018
Visit site
Unlike the induction cooker, the charging insidethe wireless charger are controlled by a microchip which will cut the charging off when the current is insufficient. If you try charging with the thick case, these are the reasons that could cause the slow charging:
1. Heat. When the battery gets too hot, the controller cuts off the charging to prevent catastrophic failure.
2. Some phone may have 3 states; wireless fast charge, normal charge, off. When you use a thick case and the current is insufficient, the wireless controller might reduce from fast charge to normal charge rather than off.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The faster charging speed is with no case and the slower speed is with a case. The app I'm using is Ampere. Pixel 3 XL using a pixel stand for the record.
ee41eb94ce801195c12f19d22458c5f8.jpg
df0055afe34d8ac4d62390e6f49894f2.jpg

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I have my Pixel 3 XL in a Google fabric case, and I've had no issues using the Pixel Charging Stand.

I too have my Pixel 3 XL in a Google fabric case. The Pixel Stand is the only charger I've used for over a week. I've had no issues whatsoever. The Pixel Stand sits beside my Windows 10 PC where I'm working most of the day. I love the convenience and my Pixel 3 XL is always topped up and fully charged.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The faster charging speed is with no case and the slower speed is with a case. The app I'm using is Ampere. Pixel 3 XL using a pixel stand for the record.
Just trying to resolve this charging question.
Seems like you've already resolved the question with the evidence that you provided: clearly having a case on the phone causes the device to charge at a slower rate.
The electrical Flux lines of the charger get weaker with distance from the device being charged. If you want to convince yourself, take the case off the phone and put a piece of paper between the charger and phone; note the charging current. Add another piece of paper and keep repeating the process. As the overall thickness of the paper increases you'll see a decrease in the charging current until a point at which it won't charge at all.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Seems like you've already resolved the question with the evidence that you provided: clearly having a case on the phone causes the device to charge at a slower rate.
The electrical Flux lines of the charger get weaker with distance from the device being charged. If you want to convince yourself, take the case off the phone and put a piece of paper between the charger and phone; note the charging current. Add another piece of paper and keep repeating the process. As the overall thickness of the paper increases you'll see a decrease in the charging current until a point at which it won't charge at all.

Every material has a dielectric strength.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The fact that could not be denied was the time it takes to charge until it is full with a case and without. I wasn't sure if the app may have been giving a false reading. Google tried to tell me it is either charging or not. I explained that with different cases I get different levels.

Have a great case that I love. Unfortunately it's tough to remove.

Thanks for the input to all.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I have 4 cases that I'm using add all 4 are able to charge the phone via the pixel stand at 10 watts just fine.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The fact that could not be denied was the time it takes to charge until it is full with a case and without. I wasn't sure if the app may have been giving a false reading. Google tried to tell me it is either charging or not. I explained that with different cases I get different levels.

Have a great case that I love. Unfortunately it's tough to remove.

Thanks for the input to all.

Just tried the app and couldn't see any difference. My phone was already around 80% and charging at around 1750.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
ok guys I'm ready to buy the pixel wireless charger got the 50 credit . can someone confirm it works fast charging for other phones also?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood