Pixel 3 Activation Questions

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
How do I set up a newpixel 3 without pullingl the sim card from my samsung galaxy s5. My wife will be using the Samsung

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I set up a new pixel 3 without pullingl the sim card from my samsung galaxy s5. My wife w

Use wifi.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I set up a new pixel 3 without pullingl the sim card from my samsung galaxy s5. My wife w

How do I set up a newpixel 3 without pullingl the sim card from my samsung galaxy s5. My wife will be using the Samsung

Get another SIM card from your carrier & activate that on your line?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You're not going to be able to swap the SIM from the S5 to the Pixel 3 anyway, since the S5 has a microSIM, and the Pixel 3 uses a nanoSIM. Is this going to be a surprise gift?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

BTW, how do I install the apps I want on the Pixel 3.Is it as simple as signing in to my Google account?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Yes. As long a you're using the same Google account, any app that was purchased/installed on the S5 will be available to install on the Pixel 3, as long as the app is compatible.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site

BTW, how do I install the apps I want on the Pixel 3.Is it as simple as signing in to my Google account?

Yes.

I always do setup over wifi even if I already have a SIM in place - it's faster, and doesn't hit my data allocation that way. Your set up is tied to your google account, not your telephone number.

You should be able to have Google pick up everything from your old phone automatically, but prefer not to do that completely, because is makes for some good cleanup. That's especially true when going from a different brand / and or a significantly older model.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Thanks loads. It's been a long time since we last communicated. You always have a good answer.
After I purchase the Pixel 3 with a new sim card, how do I move my apps from the Samsung Galaxy S5-Verizon Edition to the new Pixel 3. Thanks again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Any app you purchased and installed from the Play Store should also be available to install on the Pixel 3 through the Play Store, as long as you're using the same Google account. The apps still have to be available in the Play Store, though (since sometimes old apps might get removed for various reasons), and they have to be compatible with the phone. Apps that came preinstalled on the S5 won't necessarily be able to port over, though -- if they're Samsung apps, or apps you had to install through the Galaxy Apps Store, chances are they won't be available for non-Samsung phones.

Transferring the actual app user data can be trickier, because installing the app from the Play Store won't necessarily bring over all of the user data. It will if the app syncs your data to a cloud server, but if the app data is only saved locally to the phone, that's more of a problem. Google's own backup service might backup important data to your Google Drive, but not all apps take advantage of this. Some apps have pretty obvious data directories, so another option is to copy that directory to your computer hard drive, then copy that to the new phone, and hope the newly installed app will recognize that data.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

OK. Thanks. I think I'm ready to take the plunge. I really appreciate your help. You have saved my butt many times over the years.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Enjoy the new phone!:)

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Verizon vs Google

I'm going to buy a Pixel 3. I'm a verizon customer. The Google store is offering a Google charger stand as a free gift. How can I buy at the Google store and then activate the phone with Verizon. Wow there be hidden costs if I do that. Thanks

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Verizon vs Google

Pretty easy, walk into verizon store or call customer service to activate the device on your account? You might have to pay activation fee $30, although I'm not positive.

Which pixel color/storage size are you interested in? I'm gonna be listing a new one I just received at the end of the week and it will come with the Pixel stand.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Not sure on color yet. Do I have to pay for activation if I buy it from Verizon? Thanks for the help.

You will have to whether you buy from Google, Verizon, Best Buy. I don't believe you do if the device has already been activated. Mine is white pixel 3, 64gb, with pixel stand. Let me know if you want a link once I post it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not sure on color yet. Do I have to pay for activation if I buy it from Verizon? Thanks for the help.

If you have a Verizon Nano SIM already you don't have to pay. Just swap out SIMs.
You could order the Verizon SIM equipped model from Google but there might be an activation fee going that route. I've never tested. Also the Verizon model had a locked bootloader which makes it difficult to root if that's your thing otherwise there is no difference.

Edit: as you have already been instructed the S5 SIM won't for in the Pixel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech