Long post.

Ok let me start out by saying I usually switch platforms a lot because I like trying the latest and greatest from both sides. I’ve been through so many phones in the last 5 years that friends will actually notice if my blue IMessage bubble goes away and say “new phone again?”. I mention this because I’m pretty unbiased and realize both platforms have strengths and weaknesses.

So, I was on my iPhone 8 Plus prior to getting my Pixel 3 XL. I’ve actually slowed down on the phone buying. Must be old age and not wanting to keep switching and spend money. But I bought my wife a 3 XL and she really seemed to like it so I pulled the trigger.

I still had reservations spending $955 on a phone, especially since I’m almost done paying off the 8 Plus. I keep comparing the two, looking at the screens, gestures, notifications, apps etc etc. I was leaning towards keeping the XL but I keep coming across some issues.

When playing media on my iPhone I can pick it up and the phone wakes and I have controls on the lock screen. On the XL I have to tap the screen to wake it, then swipe then get to the controls. I believe Samsung and others had those controls on the lock screen. Am I missing something?

Hey Siri, although not as robust as Google, would always work and I would use it to send texts, set alarms and timers and make calls. Seems like I have been having issues with the XL where the damn phone won’t wake. If I pick it up and squeeze it and say set a timer for 10 minutes it says “ok I’ll set a timer for 10 minutes” but doesn’t actually do anything. I have to unlock it and repeat the phrase to have it set. If Hey Google doesn’t respond at all from across the room I have to restart the phone for it to work. Any ideas?

Notifications sometimes don’t go away. I’ll click on a notification on iOS and it’ll take me to the app and clear the notification. Sometimes I’ll do the same on the XL and the notifications persist. Any clue?

I love the XL for the camera. It’s great. But I’m losing those little features that actually save me time and it’s kind of a PIA.

Any help would be appreciated.
    11-15-2018 09:54 PM
    When playing media on my iPhone I can pick it up and the phone wakes and I have controls on the lock screen. On the XL I have to tap the screen to wake it, then swipe then get to the controls. I believe Samsung and others had those controls on the lock screen. Am I missing something?
    You're probably missing something. Media controls from the lockscreen are part of the OS.

I have to unlock it and repeat the phrase to have it set. If Hey Google doesn’t respond at all from across the room I have to restart the phone for it to work. Any ideas?
    There's a difference in the security protocols with GA on the Pixel 3. Don't know what all you're trying to do but you may want to double check your settings.

https://support.google.com/assistant.../9134021?hl=en

Notifications sometimes don’t go away. I’ll click on a notification on iOS and it’ll take me to the app and clear the notification. Sometimes I’ll do the same on the XL and the notifications persist. Any clue?
    Could you be more specific?
    11-16-2018 10:25 AM
    Hi

I registered merely to comment on your post as I am having similar issues I guess. I am coming from iOS after being a long time user.

Long post.

Ok let me start out by saying I usually switch platforms a lot because I like trying the latest and greatest from both sides. I’ve been through so many phones in the last 5 years that friends will actually notice if my blue IMessage bubble goes away and say “new phone again?”. I mention this because I’m pretty unbiased and realize both platforms have strengths and weaknesses.

So, I was on my iPhone 8 Plus prior to getting my Pixel 3 XL. I’ve actually slowed down on the phone buying. Must be old age and not wanting to keep switching and spend money. But I bought my wife a 3 XL and she really seemed to like it so I pulled the trigger.

I still had reservations spending $955 on a phone, especially since I’m almost done paying off the 8 Plus. I keep comparing the two, looking at the screens, gestures, notifications, apps etc etc. I was leaning towards keeping the XL but I keep coming across some issues.

Hey Siri, although not as robust as Google, would always work and I would use it to send texts, set alarms and timers and make calls. Seems like I have been having issues with the XL where the damn phone won’t wake. If I pick it up and squeeze it and say set a timer for 10 minutes it says “ok I’ll set a timer for 10 minutes” but doesn’t actually do anything. I have to unlock it and repeat the phrase to have it set. If Hey Google doesn’t respond at all from across the room I have to restart the phone for it to work. Any ideas?
    I think some things we cant do when the device is locked. Like call and SMS. Not sure about alarms but maybe? I find this insane honestly coming from Hey Siri. It also doesnt prompt me to unlock if I try to call my Wife for example. Super frustrating and needs to be fixed.

Im assuming like me what you are seeing is the little notification icon in the top left still there. Same with me. When I pull down to look the notification isnt there and the icon disappears. This would be after reading said notification. Must be a bug.

I am with you - I want these little things to be fixed so it is better. For me with Spotify on the lock screen if I double tap I can control the music from the lock screen, can you not do that?
    11-16-2018 01:06 PM
    Im assuming like me what you are seeing is the little notification icon in the top left still there. Same with me. When I pull down to look the notification isnt there and the icon disappears. This would be after reading said notification. Must be a bug.
    Once again the Tapatalk app is screwing up and I can't quote the original post so this'll have to do.
    In the last week or so I've noticed that behavior has gotten worse: in the past I'd see something like a Gmail notification, I'd click the notification and read the Gmail and when I exited from Gmail the notification would still be shown for about 15 seconds or so; now it'll stay up there for a couple of minutes before going away.
    Time to provide feedback to Google about this...
    11-18-2018 01:00 PM
    I will add to this list.

I tried to set a timer last night for my grill. If the phone is on the lock screen, it recognizes what I said (Set timer for 8 minutes), even says it is setting timer for 8 minutes, but does not set the timer.

This SUCKS. My OG XL did this flawlessly for the last 2 years, and is probably my most consistent use of GA. I hope this is not a new security "feature".

Yes, it is enabled for when screen is off.
    gsweinberg87 likes this.
    11-18-2018 08:06 PM
    I also have the notification issue / bug. I started a thread last week about it but, so far, I haven't found a solution. I'm hoping it's a bug and that it will be addressed.
    11-18-2018 10:00 PM
    When problems go unreported, they may go unnoticed and unfixed. If you're experiencing issues, you should use your phone to submit feedback directly to Google:

Go to Settings > System > About phone > now tap on "Send feedback about this device." Type your feedback.

To include your system logs, check the "Include system logs" box. These logs help Google when you report a technical issue. Tap Send. Your message, system information, and email address (if you're signed in) will be sent to Google.

Although you will not receive a reply unless additional input is needed, be assured that the development team does make use of the information they receive via this feedback mechanism.
    11-18-2018 10:35 PM
    I will add to this list.

I tried to set a timer last night for my grill. If the phone is on the lock screen, it recognizes what I said (Set timer for 8 minutes), even says it is setting timer for 8 minutes, but does not set the timer.

This SUCKS. My OG XL did this flawlessly for the last 2 years, and is probably my most consistent use of GA. I hope this is not a new security "feature".

Yes, it is enabled for when screen is off.
    I have a Pixel 3 XL 128. I also frequently use the timer from the lock screen. I can't recall it ever failing to work . I just tried it setting a timer for 1 minute and it worked fine. I set a timer for 15 seconds and it worked fine. Again, I'm on the lock screen and haven't logged in.

OK, now I just did a restart. Nothing works, including the timer, until I first unlock with my PIN. From that point on I can then set timers. Before I can do anything, including setting timers, I first have to unlock with my PIN after doing a reset. From that point on I can set timers from the lock screen at any time during the day without fail.
    11-18-2018 11:37 PM
    I have a Pixel 3 XL 128. I also frequently use the timer from the lock screen. I can't recall it ever failing to work . I just tried it setting a timer for 1 minute and it worked fine. I set a timer for 15 seconds and it worked fine. Again, I'm on the lock screen and haven't logged in.

OK, now I just did a restart. Nothing works, including the timer, until I first unlock with my PIN. From that point on I can then set timers. Before I can do anything, including setting timers, I first have to unlock with my PIN after doing a reset. From that point on I can set timers from the lock screen at any time during the day without fail.
    It could be our corporate security software, but that did not prevent it from working on my OG XL. It is not the end of the world, but it is much less convenient. No more setting a timer from the other room, or hands free.
    11-19-2018 08:03 AM
    When problems go unreported, they may go unnoticed and unfixed. If you're experiencing issues, you should use your phone to submit feedback directly to Google:

Go to Settings > System > About phone > now tap on "Send feedback about this device." Type your feedback.

To include your system logs, check the "Include system logs" box. These logs help Google when you report a technical issue. Tap Send. Your message, system information, and email address (if you're signed in) will be sent to Google.

Although you will not receive a reply unless additional input is needed, be assured that the development team does make use of the information they receive via this feedback mechanism.
    Absolutely. I replicated the error and reported. It happens every time for me, so easy to replicate.
    Lilybell2 likes this.
    11-19-2018 08:04 AM
    It could be our corporate security software
    What happens if you reboot into Safe mode and try this? Your corporate security software should not be running in that configuration; if it works properly then you can blame it on the corporate fluff. Not that they're likely to fix it but at least you'll know the reason.
    11-19-2018 05:15 PM
    It could be our corporate security software, but that did not prevent it from working on my OG XL. It is not the end of the world, but it is much less convenient. No more setting a timer from the other room, or hands free.
    I tried it because of your post and it set the timer every time. I did have trouble getting OK Google to work consistently but notice an update was available and that fixed it. I normally use the active edge anyway.
    11-19-2018 11:13 PM
    What happens if you reboot into Safe mode and try this? Your corporate security software should not be running in that configuration; if it works properly then you can blame it on the corporate fluff. Not that they're likely to fix it but at least you'll know the reason.
    I will have to try this when I get some time over the holiday.
    11-20-2018 05:46 AM