I have a Galaxy S7 on VZW. If I buy an unlocked P3 from Google do I just have to swap my SIM card from the S7 to P3 and I'm done? Or do I need to get a new SIM from VZW, or something else?
    11-16-2018 07:20 AM
    I have a Galaxy S7 on VZW. If I buy an unlocked P3 from Google do I just have to swap my SIM card from the S7 to P3 and I'm done? Or do I need to get a new SIM from VZW, or something else?
    Does the S7 use a nano sim? If so, then you can just swap the sim from the S7 and add it to the Pixel 3 and be on your way. If its a micro sim then you would have to go to Verizon and get them to switch it to a nano sim. Verizon may end up charging you an activation fee for doing that. There is no activation fee by swapping the sim from the S7 to the Pixel 3 if it's compatible since it's already active. Hopefully that clears it up for you.
    kevin_nj likes this.
    11-16-2018 08:28 AM
    Thanks. After I posted my question I read in another thread about the different sized cards. I was unaware they existed and will have to research what the S7 has.
    11-16-2018 08:38 AM
    I did not actually pull the card; but it appears the S7 uses a nano also.
    Does swapping the card mean I avoid VZW's activation fee also? That'd be a bonus, esp since I'm upgrading two phones.
    11-16-2018 09:29 AM
    I did not actually pull the card; but it appears the S7 uses a nano also.
    Does swapping the card mean I avoid VZW's activation fee also? That'd be a bonus, esp since I'm upgrading two phones.
    Unless you bought the Pixel from Verizon there should be no fee to swap sims
    kevin_nj likes this.
    11-16-2018 09:39 AM
    Thanks!
    I've been debating waiting to see what VZW will offer for Black Friday. Tough choice since Google's deal ends Weds while VZW not announcing until Thurs. But unless VZW offers a killer deal it looks more and more like direct purchase from Google is the way to go.
    11-16-2018 09:43 AM
    Thanks!
    I've been debating waiting to see what VZW will offer for Black Friday. Tough choice since Google's deal ends Weds while VZW not announcing until Thurs. But unless VZW offers a killer deal it looks more and more like direct purchase from Google is the way to go.
    based on history and what I've seen if you are on verizon and want a pixel device, in this case for this year a pixel 3 there is no reason to buy from google. Verizon always offers better deals. In fact I think Best buy has a sweet deal for the P3 on verizon if you upgrade though them.
    11-16-2018 01:27 PM
    Does the S7 use a nano sim? If so, then you can just swap the sim from the S7 and add it to the Pixel 3 and be on your way. If its a micro sim then you would have to go to Verizon and get them to switch it to a nano sim. Verizon may end up charging you an activation fee for doing that. There is no activation fee by swapping the sim from the S7 to the Pixel 3 if it's compatible since it's already active. Hopefully that clears it up for you.
    FWIW, you can also buy a SIM cutter (Amazon has them for about $8) that will modify mini to micro to nano and comes with adapter trays to support the reverse. The only real difference between those cards is the amount of plastic surrounding the actual board.

Edit - I've never had an issue with them and have trimmed a few over the years, for myself as well as for others, but obviously this is 'at your own risk' with a worst case scenario being that you'd need to get a new appropriate SIM from the carrier.
    11-16-2018 03:50 PM
    VZW deals typically require adding a line or changing to a more expensive monthly plan (from what I recall seeing).
    11-16-2018 04:19 PM
    based on history and what I've seen if you are on verizon and want a pixel device, in this case for this year a pixel 3 there is no reason to buy from google. Verizon always offers better deals. In fact I think Best buy has a sweet deal for the P3 on verizon if you upgrade though them.
    There are reasons to buy from Google unless you're buying specifically based on price. Right now the Google Black Friday deals are pretty good. I haven't checked what Verizon is offering.
    11-17-2018 12:16 AM