11-19-2018 04:58 PM
92 1234
tools
    This is the case with most products, cars included. Some people pay over MSRP to be first in line for a model.
    I know. I'm looking at a new truck, and right now there are zero incentives or rebates from the car manufacturers, because they're so new. There are plenty of discounts on last year's models, but nothing for the 2019s. That won't happen for several months from now.

I can't believe the OP has never seen this before, it's literally a cornerstone of new products. And generally, how steep the process fall off is an indicator of how well the initial sales number were. It's comparable to the home release date for movies. The sooner they're available for home release, the lessoney theyade at the box office. That's why bombs show up after only a couple months and blockbusters usually don't release for about 6 months.
    11-18-2018 12:14 PM
    pixel hasn't discounted this steeply this early before. There is a reason Apples doesn't do it. In general, Flagship phones dont' do it. will not drop 20% one month after release. Tesla lowered the price and offered customers a refund for hte difference. YOu dont' want to punish people for taking the risk early and buying your products before reviews, its not good for for customers loyalty. Over time it's bad for google too because it punishes people for not buying your phone on release > bad for overall sales when people are the most excited for your product.

Fool me once.. Not buying another phone on release unless it's apple.
    You're not entitled to a discount price a month after you purchase the phone on release day. I can't believe you even think you would be.
    11-18-2018 12:47 PM
    People needs to go in business for themselves.
    See all the money going out the door, to all the City, county, state, insurance companies rent, and the employees.
    Look at the bottom line of the profit line.
    You wouldn't be taking so much about they should of gave me something for free.

Had corporate companies asking me to give bids, and was looking for free.
    Had 14 other companies giving bids that did the same thing as me.
    I turned around and walked out the door.
    11-18-2018 01:08 PM
    Is the OP serious? New Flat Screen Technology, Latest Intel processor, redesigned Mustang/Miata/Ram/Camaro, latest smartwatch, latest home camera. The OP wants discount pricing at launch?
    11-18-2018 03:06 PM
    Is the OP serious? New Flat Screen Technology, Latest Intel processor, redesigned Mustang/Miata/Ram/Camaro, latest smartwatch, latest home camera. The OP wants discount pricing at launch?
    I think he's serious. I have no qualms paying full price at launch.
    11-18-2018 03:15 PM
    I know. I'm looking at a new truck, and right now there are zero incentives or rebates from the car manufacturers, because they're so new. There are plenty of discounts on last year's models, but nothing for the 2019s. That won't happen for several months from now.

I can't believe the OP has never seen this before, it's literally a cornerstone of new products. And generally, how steep the process fall off is an indicator of how well the initial sales number were. It's comparable to the home release date for movies. The sooner they're available for home release, the lessoney theyade at the box office. That's why bombs show up after only a couple months and blockbusters usually don't release for about 6 months.
    I guess it depends on the vehicles. There are 2019 deals out there but obviously not what you're looking for.
    11-18-2018 03:17 PM
    I guess it depends on the vehicles. There are 2019 deals out there but obviously not what you're looking for.
    Right, but today trucks and SUVs are the money makers, so they will be discounted less than other vehicles. If they had trouble moving them, we'd see discounts on them.
    11-18-2018 07:43 PM
    Correct, Pickups especially hold their value very well. You won't see many discounts when a brand new redesigned vehicle comes out unless inventory starts to build on dealer lots.
    11-18-2018 07:48 PM
    I feel betrayed by buying one early. Google will not honor the price, an this conveniently happenedjust outside 1 month of the return window. Discounting a device steeply 1 month after release is a real middle finger to the fans of your product..

It's likely Google has it out for you in particular if I had to guess.
    sixty_four and SteelGator like this.
    11-18-2018 08:07 PM
    I feel betrayed by buying one early. Google will not honor the price, an this conveniently happenedjust outside 1 month of the return window. Discounting a device steeply 1 month after release is a real middle finger to the fans of your product..

You may feel betrayed now, but you can get your revenge next year. Wait till Black Friday 2019 and the Pixel 4 will be discounted.

Knowing what I know now, I'll wait an extra month to save.
    11-18-2018 09:58 PM
    You may feel betrayed now, but you can get your revenge next year. Wait till Black Friday 2019 and the Pixel 4 will be discounted.

Knowing what I know now, I'll wait an extra month to save.
    Past performance is no guarantee of future performance but you don't have much to lose by waiting.
    Law2138 likes this.
    11-18-2018 10:05 PM
    I suppose this kind of thing will happen when smartphone manufacturers release phones in the fall - it's risky, because Black Friday/Cyber Monday, Christmas, and Boxing Day sales are right around the corner.
    11-18-2018 10:11 PM
    As I pointed out, the BF deals from Verizon we're discounted much more steeply than the offer you listed. They were giving them a 50% discount, where the one you showed, $150 off, is less than 19%.
    That's not hte same. Verizon gives you discounts but you have to use on verizon, it has conditions. I have no problems with those deals as they are not worth it to me; they come with real cost. But this discount is straight vanilla no conditions.

Pixel 2 did not do this, i dont' think pixel 1 did either. Dropping the price like this 1 month will deter first month sales in the future which is a big deal and overalll not healthy for pixel sales.

But there were threads in this forum the week the phone launched speculating about what the BF deals were going to be, so it's not like the information wasn't readily available to you.
    speculating is not the same as information.
    11-19-2018 12:45 AM
    Correct, Pickups especially hold their value very well. You won't see many discounts when a brand new redesigned vehicle comes out unless inventory starts to build on dealer lots.
    I know car dealers do this; but I didn't hold google's bizz practice to the same level as sleazy car dealerships. But as I mentioned, better run car companies like Tesla do not do this. It destroy's customers loyalty.

tech Early adopters take the risk of QC issues. lots of time companies actually incentive early purchasers. I have no problem with paying more if it gets me like 3 months lead, but 1 month after is a F U.
    11-19-2018 12:54 AM
    I know car dealers do this; but I didn't hold google's bizz practice to the same level as sleazy car dealerships. But as I mentioned, better run car companies like Tesla do not do this. It destroy's customers loyalty.

tech Early adopters take the risk of QC issues. lots of time companies actually incentive early purchasers. I have no problem with paying more if it gets me like 3 months lead, but 1 month after is a F U.
    IDK what to say.. I can't understand your point of being upset since you knew Black Friday was coming. Stuff always goes on sale then. If you really want to save money you wait until then and see if the item you want goes on sale.. if it does then buy and if it doesn't you buy it at the price you were expecting.

Carrier, regular stores, everyone is doing sales now.
    sixty_four likes this.
    11-19-2018 02:07 AM

I would fell that way too. I guess people on here never heard of price matching. I know if I buy something at Costco and a month later they drop the price I ask and receive the difference in price. Nice way to keep a customer happy and not feel slighted.
    11-19-2018 05:22 AM
    I would fell that way too. I guess people on here never heard of price matching. I know if I buy something at Costco and a month later they drop the price I ask and receive the difference in price. Nice way to keep a customer happy and not feel slighted.
    Of course we've heard of price matching. I've never heard of a phone OEM price matching. Comparing Google to Costco is unrealistic. Besides for most of the preorders Black Friday falls beyond 30 days. Verizon used to price match when they had a 30 day price policy but I don't think they do today any more.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-19-2018 07:19 AM
    Of course we've heard of price matching. I've never heard of a phone OEM price matching. Comparing Google to Costco is unrealistic.
    Bingo. OEM's are setup to handle bulk orders that ship by the truck load. At that kind of volume, the cost per phone to ship is almost nothing. Shipping individual phones to individual residences drastically increases the cost of shipping, plus the additional handling needed at the manufacturer to process them. Manufacturers are generally not all that interested in handling consumer orders, so they don't have the same profit motive to be competitive with the likes of big box stores. It's not uncommon to see products cost more direct from the OEM than from an actual retailer during the same time period.
    11-19-2018 07:31 AM
    That's not hte same. Verizon gives you discounts but you have to use on verizon, it has conditions. I have no problems with those deals as they are not worth it to me; they come with real cost. But this discount is straight vanilla no conditions.

Pixel 2 did not do this, i dont' think pixel 1 did either. Dropping the price like this 1 month will deter first month sales in the future which is a big deal and overalll not healthy for pixel sales.

speculating is not the same as information.
    And like I put on another post in this thread, Google's Cyber Monday deal last year was for a free Google mini ($50) + $100 store credit, which equals $150, same as this year's.

No it's not, but you should know it's coming. It's not Google's fault you didn't have the patience to wait for a lower price, take some personal responsibility. I knew it was coming, but made a choice to go ahead anyway.
    11-19-2018 07:46 AM

Again, you knew this was coming. The Pixel launched in late October, when is Black Friday & Cyber Monday? They're the same time every year.
    11-19-2018 07:50 AM
    Lol, I can’t believe we are still debating about this. Prices go down, get discounts and also have flash sales. And here is a flash news - this applies to all products - quite a normal practice actually. So, get over it and move on.
    11-19-2018 08:42 AM
    I think all phone mfg needs to raise the price on phones.
    They are selling them too cheap.
    Need to go back to having a contract for 30 months before you can get a new phone.
    11-19-2018 09:01 AM
    Lol, I can’t believe we are still debating about this. Prices go down, get discounts and also have flash sales. And here is a flash news - this applies to all products - quite a normal practice actually. So, get over it and move on.
    People just have to complain about something all the time. It's always someone else's fault but their own. Glad I wasn't raised to be like that.
    sixty_four likes this.
    11-19-2018 09:58 AM
    What a ridiculous and childish narrative. There is no logical way that anyone can consider a device going on sale to be a punishment against consumers who willingly paid full price for a device prior to it going on sale. Feeling betrayed by a company is completely nonsensical unless you're trusting their written policies and they will not honor their own policies. Did you somehow forget that black friday/cyber monday and this whole holiday season exists?
    11-19-2018 10:23 AM
    People just have to complain about something all the time. It's always someone else's fault but their own. Glad I wasn't raised to be like that.
    It's the age of misplaced sense of entitlement. Everyone can decide for themselves whether the price is fair and elect to pay or not to pay. Future price drops might be a consideration but to expect protection from a what is perceived to be an unfair price drop is just baffling to me. I wish the stock market worked like this. I could just fire up my online broker and say, "hey I changed my mind, can you put me down for 10,000 shares for what it cost yesterday?" Or even insurance. "Oh hey, yeah I know I voluntarily declined flood insurance but we really got a ton of rain and the house is underwater so yeah, I changed my mind."
    Vega007 likes this.
    11-19-2018 10:34 AM
92 1234