Pixel dropping their price - they are punishing early adopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
As others have mentioned if you are buying launch day for a phone released in October, then obviously you aren't getting the best value since there will be always some kind of deal thru out the holidays. I absolutely have no issues with that because it was my choice I bought at launch day and I rather have the phone day one than wait a month or two for saving money. But if you were looking for deal then buying at launch isn't a great idea especially when Black Friday is close by.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
As others have mentioned if you are buying launch day for a phone released in October, then obviously you aren't getting the best value since there will be always some kind of deal thru out the holidays. I absolutely have no issues with that because it was my choice I bought at launch day and I rather have the phone day one than wait a month or two for saving money. But if you were looking for deal then buying at launch isn't a great idea especially when Black Friday is close by.

I actually checked last year's Google store sales before I purchased just in case and they didn't offer any sales last year. Last year they couldn't keep up with demand so that may be why. It's still a little irritating but it is what it is.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I reached out to Google support and they denied letting me return my phone since it's passed the 15 days as I was going to return it and purchase a new one with the discount. I'm furious. I thought I could return it within 30 days but it's 15 unfortunate. At least they could of offered a $200 project fi credit. Shame shame.
I feel betrayed by buying one early. Google will not honor the price, an this conveniently happenedjust outside 1 month of the return window. Discounting a device steeply 1 month after release is a real middle finger to the fans of your product..

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I reached out to Google support and they denied letting me return my phone since it's passed the 15 days as I was going to return it and purchase a new one with the discount. I'm furious. I thought I could return it within 30 days but it's 15 unfortunate. At least they could of offered a $200 project fi credit. Shame shame.

Should have held out to buy your phone. Everybody knows best deals are usually right before a new phone is being released to dump old stock or during big sales such as Thanksgiving. How is this Googles fault?

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes and no bc Google never gives these type of discounts for their brand new phones only for the other hardware like Google homes etc. Even on the Android central pod cast they mentioned this. If they were known for giving discounts for their phones I would of waited.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I feel betrayed by buying one early. Google will not honor the price, an this conveniently happenedjust outside 1 month of the return window. Discounting a device steeply 1 month after release is a real middle finger to the fans of your product..

First, as others have said, no one forced you to get one. And second, everyone knew Black Friday was just around the corner, so of course they're going to have a discount, they do every year. When I got my original Pixel on BF, they had they had a helluva lot steeper discount than that, so I got it.

Here's the BF deal for the original regular Pixel from 2016: "A 32GB Pixel will sell for just $240. That’s $10 per month for 24 months. If you want more storage, then you’ll have to pay $360 for the 128GB Pixel over the course of two years. The deal is valid on Thanksgiving and Black Friday."

And here's the BF deal for the regular Pixel 2 from last year: "Verizon is offering 50 percent off the Pixel 2, Galaxy S8, and Moto Z2 Force when you sign up for an unlimited plan."

So this year's BF deals don't even come close to what they've previously offered. Just to note, these were Verizon's BF deals, a quick Google search would bring you the ones from Google or Best Buy or Target.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Exactly pixel 2 verizon deal I'm talking more about deals from the Google store directly since I'm a project fi user Verizon deals are irrelevant.

But it's true technically we could of waited, but still doesn't take for the fact that it kind of #feelsbad . On the bright side at least we received a $50 credit for the Google store.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I actually checked last year's Google store sales before I purchased just in case and they didn't offer any sales last year. Last year they couldn't keep up with demand so that may be why. It's still a little irritating but it is what it is.

Google didn't have a BF deal last year, but they had a Cyber Monday deal, a Pixel 2 or 2XL got you a free Google Home Mini + $100 store credit.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I was one of the first to buy. I was more than happy to pay full price in order to have my Pixel 3 XL the day it was released. You pay more for front row tickets. That's the way it is. :cool:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I was one of the first to buy. I was more than happy to pay full price in order to have my Pixel 3 XL the day it was released. You pay more for front row tickets. That's the way it is. :cool:

I pre-ordered because I wanted to sell my 2XL for as much as possible. I just checked Swappa and they are already dropping from when I sold mine a couple weeks ago. Next time I might sell my 3XL before the 4 comes out.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I pre-ordered because I wanted to sell my 2XL for as much as possible. I just checked Swappa and they are already dropping from when I sold mine a couple weeks ago. Next time I might sell my 3XL before the 4 comes out.

I took the trade-in offer and shipped my 2 XL off to them. In retrospect I wish I had just kept it for a spare.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
LOL what do you expect? Of course phones go on sale around the holiday season. You should've known this for years now. Remember this for next year and move on.

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
pixel hasn't discounted this steeply this early before. There is a reason Apples doesn't do it. In general, Flagship phones dont' do it. will not drop 20% one month after release. Tesla lowered the price and offered customers a refund for hte difference. YOu dont' want to punish people for taking the risk early and buying your products before reviews, its not good for for customers loyalty. Over time it's bad for google too because it punishes people for not buying your phone on release > bad for overall sales when people are the most excited for your product.

Fool me once.. Not buying another phone on release unless it's apple.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
People would have complained if there were no Black Friday discounts. Now that they are out there they still complain.

People were going wild for the release of the pixel phones.

They were climbing the wall to get one
Now that they spent the money.
They are complaining it was too high.
And Google should of gave them something for free .

And they should have waited.
With the fever everybody had.
There was no waiting..

I bought a pixel 2 XL at the end of the season right before the pixel 3 XL came out .
It was still at full price.
Used it and returned it

Like the newest device that comes out.
With the fastest processor.
Not something a year old.

Wait till the Pixel 4 XL comes out.

Bet it's gonna be the same thing.

Nothing is free it costs somebody.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
People were going wild for the release of the pixel phones.

They were climbing the wall to get one
Now that they spent the money.
They are complaining it was too high.
And Google should of gave them something for free .

And they should have waited.
With the fever everybody had.
There was no waiting..

I bought a pixel 2 XL at the end of the season right before the pixel 3 XL came out .
It was still at full price.
Used it and returned it

Like the newest device that comes out.
With the fastest processor.
Not something a year old.

Wait till the Pixel 4 XL comes out.

Bet it's gonna be the same thing.

Nothing is free it costs somebody.

And where were people going wild to buy the Pixel?? Climbing the wall? I think you have the Pixel confused with an iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.