Pixel dropping their price - they are punishing early adopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I feel betrayed by buying one early. Google will not honor the price, an this conveniently happenedjust outside 1 month of the return window. Discounting a device steeply 1 month after release is a real middle finger to the fans of your product..

Black Friday (11/22 – 11/25): If that's not your deal of choice, Google will follow that up with a $150 price drop on Pixel 3 and $200 on Pixel 3 XL

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Early adopters often pay premium prices. You could have waited a bit to see if they would offer any Black Friday discounts. The temporary price drop is an incentive for those who were still on the fence.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm confused how this is the fault of Google you were an early adopter...I know getting it launched in was paying premium

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
the price of a phone from any manufacturer on pre-order you paying full price what they could of done was throw some free things like pixel wireless charger which I think Verizon did. usually if you don't want pay full price you don't pre-order.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
lol, Yeah I don't think they are intentionally "Punishing" early adopters. They don't hate you for buying their product. They are just trying to move more and its that time of year. Anyone on the fence because of the price now has that incentive. Its always better to wait on most products if you can an price is an issue.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Two of three of my flagships was purchased when it launched and still saved at least $400 CAN each. Otherwise I would've never bought it and kept my OnePlus 6 silk white.

TheJastrom

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I think of it like anything else, from video game purchases to televisions to computers, You get to use it first before anyone else with the rest of the early adopters and then it goes on sale and then other people purchase it for a cheaper price but they didn't get to use it, play it etc from the day it was released like you did. I understand the sting when it happens though.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure if these were flying off the shelves the BF discounts wouldn't be so steep. I expected something like a free Pixel Stand with purchase. Unlike the BB and Target discounts which are carrier subsidized, Google eats the full $150/$200 discount. Google should fire Osterfat and whoever else looked at the P3XL design and said 'Yea, let's go with this.' Somebody actually green-lighted that look!

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think of it like anything else, from video game purchases to televisions to computers, You get to use it first before anyone else with the rest of the early adopters and then it goes on sale and then other people purchase it for a cheaper price but they didn't get to use it, play it etc from the day it was released like you did. I understand the sting when it happens though.

Exactly this. Video games, movies, computers .. All of it. I haven't dought a video game or a movie at initial release in years. Often wait 2-3 years before I buy either. Just bought Witcher 3 this summer, as an example.

Can't really complain about pricing if you buy something on launch.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
the price of a phone from any manufacturer on pre-order you paying full price what they could of done was throw some free things like pixel wireless charger which I think Verizon did. usually if you don't want pay full price you don't pre-order.

People would have complained if there were no Black Friday discounts. Now that they are out there they still complain.

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Totally agree. The $50 promo with Pixel Stand would make so much easier

Velenoso

Nov 11, 2018
Visit site
That's the case with most new phone from what I see, after about a month their price can drop around 25% searching online.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Exactly this. Video games, movies, computers .. All of it. I haven't dought a video game or a movie at initial release in years. Often wait 2-3 years before I buy either. Just bought Witcher 3 this summer, as an example.

Can't really complain about pricing if you buy something on launch.

Yep, I haven't paid full price for a video game in years because you can get them on sale within months or a year or two later. Especially with digital now. I get games on PSN cheap all the time.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I feel betrayed by buying one early. Google will not honor the price, an this conveniently happenedjust outside 1 month of the return window. Discounting a device steeply 1 month after release is a real middle finger to the fans of your product..

When things aren't selling well they usually get discounted early and a lot.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not feeling very punished. I got a BOGO deal with a $100 Best Buy gift card per phone. So two Pixels for $900 and $200 in gift cards. This was day 1 at Best Buy.

But Note fans will get them stupid cheap soon as well for Black Friday and Holiday sales.

You can just look around for a deal if that's super important, otherwise know this is happening nearly every release and take the punches of buying zero day.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not feeling punishment or cheated either. I had the choice to wait and see if they would go on sale, but I didn't. Partially because my first gen Pixel was starting to show it's age in battery life, and I figured, why not?

This isn't too dissimilar to the new Tomb Raider game going on sale a month after release. A lot of people said the same thing, and the counter replies still hold true: if you pre-order, you are saying you are fine with paying full price now.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
The problem with me is that I know Black Friday is not too far away from the Pixel release date. I'm just impatient so I buy early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674