Switch to Pixel 3XL?

dtresca

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone. I recently changed jobs and am currently in the Cybersecurity space. The new company doesn't have a "requirement" for specific types of phones, but they strongly recommend using iPhone or a Pixel phone. The reason being both phones stay on top of security patches/updates. Our company gives us the capability to do a lot more with our phones IF we use a recommended device.

I currently use a Note 8 and love it, although I don't really ever use the S-pen. I refuse to go iPhone. I've tried it before and I just don't like it. With all of that said, should I go for a Pixel 3?

Yes, I realize I'm in a Pixel 3 forum, but I'm hoping maybe some of you made a switch from a Galaxy Note (or even just a Galaxy) and can give me some thoughts on how you like the switch.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you're okay with the notch then get the Pixel 3 XL; if you don't like the notch or if you don't have to have the 'latest and greatest' then a Pixel 2 XL would be alot cheaper for a similar capability.

Pixel34me

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
I can't stand my wifes Galaxy s8 plus. I hate nearly everything about it. The bixby button, the crazy UI the silly menus and all the Samsung bloat. My opinion.

I love my 3XL. It's definitely a person thing. I barely notice the notch anymore.

Last edited:

Dean Liensdorf

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I agree with the other comments. If you're ok with the notch then the 3xl is the way to go, but if you don't like the notch then either the 3, 2, or 2xl would be the way to go. I have a 2 and really like it. The best thing about it is the timely updates.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
If you like the larger size of the 3 XL and don't like the notch, buy it anyway and simply turn the notch OFF! That's what I did and I'm quite pleased with my "no notch" 3 XL.

violetta_ef

Oct 13, 2018
Visit site
I have the Pixel 2 XL and it's the best phone I've ever had! So, considering the Pixel 3 is the next generation and updated version of Pixel 2, I'm sure you won't regret switching. And having those software updates will prove to be more important than you think.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Since phone security is a priority for the OP it should be mentioned that the Pixel 3's have the Titan M mobile security chip not included in the Pixel 2's.

chrispmoto

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I am also close to buying a Pixel 3.
Do you know if a bunch of the bugs are sorted, especially the RAM management issue??

dtresca

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, everyone! I am definitely leaning towards making the switch. One last concern, has anyone noticed any performance issues? I know the 3xl has 4gb of ram, compared to the 6 in the note 8. I do almost no gaming, but I'm a little concerned with multitasking. I haven't read anything out there stating there was any sluggishness.

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you work with a big security company? I work for a large consulting and services firm that is heavily invested in cyber security.

dtresca

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the other comments. If you're ok with the notch then the 3xl is the way to go, but if you don't like the notch then either the 3, 2, or 2xl would be the way to go. I have a 2 and really like it. The best thing about it is the timely updates.

I had the Essential for a little while. I didn't mind the notch at all. I don't think that is something that would bother me in the future either.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
One last concern, has anyone noticed any performance issues? I know the 3xl has 4gb of ram, compared to the 6 in the note 8. I do almost no gaming,
I've got the 2 XL and I haven't noticed anything. Maybe I'm not a heavy enough user, but I think I do use my phone pretty heavily.

Google is good at optimization.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
After having the 3XL for a while you can add me to the list of folks who don't notice the notch anymore. I really thought the notch would be an issue, but I was not going to the smaller 3.
I'm glad I got the 3XL. In my opinion the majority of the people still complaining about the notch are the one's that don't have a 3XL and are going by looks or the impression that it is too much like Apple.

Pixel34me

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
I am also close to buying a Pixel 3.
Do you know if a bunch of the bugs are sorted, especially the RAM management issue??

You know I haven't noticed any of the "bugs" reported. I kinda hoped I'd get the second notch one for giggles lol. I guess maybe a app restarts when I click back to it but never so much I notice an issue. So maybe it killed them maybe it didn't but it doesn't affect my day to day at all.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have seen quite a few users either switch to a Pixel (3, 2, etc) from a Note device; or buy a Pixel 3 in addition to their Samsung device. I own a Pixel 2 and highly recommend the Google experience - it's stock Android (very smooth experience and clean), the security patch update schedule is truly something to marvel at, the camera experience is great, and I really like how the small and larger versions of the phones have the same specs (save for size and camera).

I think you will enjoy it! It also sounds like it will be a good fit for your new job - congratulations, by the way!

Let us know what you decide!

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, everyone! I am definitely leaning towards making the switch. One last concern, has anyone noticed any performance issues? I know the 3xl has 4gb of ram, compared to the 6 in the note 8. I do almost no gaming, but I'm a little concerned with multitasking. I haven't read anything out there stating there was any sluggishness.

Kate and I both got Pixel 3 XL 128's at launch. We've used them quite heavily for the past 5 weeks. Neither one of us has noticed any performance issues.

Kate does more photography than I do and does a lot of web browsing, Kindle reading, and utilizing Google Assistant.

I use my Bluetooth headset a good bit, listening to music while I work. During the workday I run Interactive Brokers Mobile Workstation from 9:30 AM until 4:00 PM beside my Windows 10 PC with my phone sitting on my Pixel Stand which keeps it awake the whole time. I'm an active stock market trader. I trade a rather large portfolio and I'm relying on my Pixel 3 XL to perform without problems. I also do web browsing, email, some photography, and Kindle reading in the evening. My Pixel 3 XL 128 has been totally reliable.