Switch to Pixel 3XL?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I have both Note 9 and Pixel 3 XL. I like both but as good as the Note 9 is, I think that the Pixel camera is better and for me the camera is important. Also, like you I didn't want to go the iPhone route.

dtresca

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have seen quite a few users either switch to a Pixel (3, 2, etc) from a Note device; or buy a Pixel 3 in addition to their Samsung device. I own a Pixel 2 and highly recommend the Google experience - it's stock Android (very smooth experience and clean), the security patch update schedule is truly something to marvel at, the camera experience is great, and I really like how the small and larger versions of the phones have the same specs (save for size and camera).

I think you will enjoy it! It also sounds like it will be a good fit for your new job - congratulations, by the way!

Let us know what you decide!

Thank you!

dtresca

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies! What a great forum. I'm doing it. I'm going to pull the trigger once the Black Friday deals are up!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies! What a great forum. I'm doing it. I'm going to pull the trigger once the Black Friday deals are up!

That's a smart move - waiting until Black Friday deals are up and running! You'll get there soon! What colour 3 XL are you going to get?

dtresca

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, I made the switch and I've had the Pixel 3 XL for a few days now. All I can say is Wow! Great phone. Extremely intuitive. Snappy software. Amazing camera. Glad I did it. Thank you all for helping me make the decision!

caveman84

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, everyone! I am definitely leaning towards making the switch. One last concern, has anyone noticed any performance issues? I know the 3xl has 4gb of ram, compared to the 6 in the note 8. I do almost no gaming, but I'm a little concerned with multitasking. I haven't read anything out there stating there was any sluggishness.
While there is absolutely no slagishness, almost all apps reload though so the 4gb of is not enough. I am absolutely perplexed as yo why google decided to gimp otherwise an excellent phone with 4gb ram. This is tantamount when apple kept releasing 1gb iphones for years.

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I had the PIXEL XL 1, then the XL 2, on black friday I ordered the 3 XL because they were on sale for $200 off.

I then compared the 3XL to the note 9 and XS MAX at best buy...

the 3XL screen is not near as bright as those 2, not even close, its embarassing side by side... the note 9 is an incredible screen. Google has to do better than 425 nits...come on google

That being said I cannot handle the plethora of samsung bloatware and I dont use IOS so I am keeping the pixel 3XL.

I have ordered the pixe lstand, the UAG Monarch case, and a temepered glass screen protector for it, have received all of it - but havent opeded any of it or the new phone..

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
While there is absolutely no slagishness, almost all apps reload though so the 4gb of is not enough. I am absolutely perplexed as yo why google decided to gimp otherwise an excellent phone with 4gb ram. This is tantamount when apple kept releasing 1gb iphones for years.

I believe the app reloading is due to the way memory is being managed and I thought there was an update coming. I've found overtime that mine has improved...possible the adaptive battery has a learning curve.

I will further add that I might not be as particular as some with apps staying memory resident, however it has not impacted the way I use the phone so I'm good with that. If you still have the phone I hope it improves.

caveman84

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I believe the app reloading is due to the way memory is being managed and I thought there was an update coming. I've found overtime that mine has improved...possible the adaptive battery has a learning curve.

I will further add that I might not be as particular as some with apps staying memory resident, however it has not impacted the way I use the phone so I'm good with that. If you still have the phone I hope it improves.
We'll see what happens, while im not all that particular about keeping apps in the background but one app that i use alot and absolutely hate when it reloads constantly, as it does with with 3XL, is Tapatalk. For instance, ill be reading a long thread and will be several pages deep, but then ill go to take a phone call or answer a text, then back to Tapatalk, and bam reload and not only i loose where i was and then start over. Very annoyed.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
We'll see what happens, while im not all that particular about keeping apps in the background but one app that i use alot and absolutely hate when it reloads constantly, as it does with with 3XL, is Tapatalk. For instance, ill be reading a long thread and will be several pages deep, but then ill go to take a phone call or answer a text, then back to Tapatalk, and bam reload and not only i loose where i was and then start over. Very annoyed.

I hear you...one time I lost text I was typing into an app by moving around. It hasn't happened lately but when I remember I copy the text beforehand.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
It depends on the app, some I use reload and other stay in memory longer...YouTube for one will not reload if I paused a video, but others reload instantly Everytime.

Glad you're enjoying the phone I love my pixel 3, only sort of regret is not getting XL. Coming from an iPhone 7+ I got so used to using big phones realized I didn't mind it. Oh well, love the phone and experience

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the PIXEL XL 1, then the XL 2, on black friday I ordered the 3 XL because they were on sale for $200 off.

I then compared the 3XL to the note 9 and XS MAX at best buy...

the 3XL screen is not near as bright as those 2, not even close, its embarassing side by side... the note 9 is an incredible screen. Google has to do better than 425 nits...come on google

That being said I cannot handle the plethora of samsung bloatware and I dont use IOS so I am keeping the pixel 3XL.

I have ordered the pixe lstand, the UAG Monarch case, and a temepered glass screen protector for it, have received all of it - but havent opeded any of it or the new phone..

Are you sure that your Pixel 3 XL wasn't on the default Adaptive Brightness? If it was and you compared to the 100% store display brightness of Samsung and Apple, that could account for the embarrassing difference.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
You have to put the pixel 3 XL to full brightness to even compare to a note 9 or LG device on say 80% brightness. Very dim screen unless on full with the pixel

Last edited:

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
As I had mentioned in another thread, all these phones and the Pixel 3 XL are using Samsung screens. Google responded to the Pixel user hysteria concerning burn-in and reduced maximum Pixel screen brightness.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I made this switch and I'm pretty content with it. I'm loving my pixel 3xl. There are a few irreplaceable features of the Note9, but what I'm finding is I didn't use many of them all that often. Love the pure Google software experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome