First let me start with I am an iPhone user and have a XS Max, so don't shoot me.

I had an OG Pixel XL I got to keep when leaving my last job and thought it was a good phone. I also regret selling it. I wouldn't mind having another Android again as a secondary play phone.

So with the $200 off on the Pixel 3 XL this week, I was thinking about picking one up. So I went to Best buy to play with one, and felt a little underwhelmed, but I usually feel like that when I am comparing an Android phone to an iPhone.

But one thing I noticed which was odd. When you are looking at photos in the photo gallery and try to pinch zoom on them, I have to pinch like 3 times to go all the way in. It's almost like the screen isn't registering my fingers very well or something. The iPhone is way more sensitive and zooms all the way in the one reverse pinch. I don't remember that on my OG Pixel, but I haven't had it for awhile so I might have forgotten. So being curious, I tried this on 2 different 3 XLs there and on a Pixel 2, and all did the same thing. Was just a really bad pinch zoom on all of them.

Second, and this might be more of something to get used to, but Google's version of the gestures is not nearly as good as Apples. I couldn't figure out on my own how to exit an app to go back to the home screen. On my iPhone I just slide up. On the Pixel, sliding all the way up gets you to your app drawer, or a partial slide up takes you to the task manager.

The notch doesn't bother me. Been there done that last year when I got the iPhone X. Everyone was besides themselves about it, and most people got over it. So when people complain about the notch on the XL, it makes me laugh a little. It's not a big deal and you get used to it real quick. I don't even really notice is any more on my iPhone.

Other than that, I really don't need to be spending $699 on another phone, but I am still feeling the urge to get it for some reason.
    11-19-2018 11:13 AM
    Was just a really bad pinch zoom on all of them.
    I haven't run into this. I just did a zoom on my regular Pixel 3 to test and in Google Photos and reached maximum zoom with a pinch. May be different on the XL model, though.

I couldn't figure out on my own how to exit an app to go back to the home screen.
    It's the same as your OG Pixel was before, tap the home button/pill. The Gesture system is different and would take some getting used too.
    11-19-2018 11:45 AM
    I haven't run into this. I just did a zoom on my regular Pixel 3 to test and in Google Photos and reached maximum zoom with a pinch. May be different on the XL model, though.

It's the same as your OG Pixel was before, tap the home button/pill. The Gesture system is different and would take some getting used too.
    Were you able to zoom all the way into a picture with just one pinch? Maybe it was something up with the way Best Buy had their demo's set up.

I am going to stop by the Best Buy near work at lunchtime, which is a different Best Buy I was at the other day and see how their's works.
    11-19-2018 12:11 PM
    Were you able to zoom all the way into a picture with just one pinch?
    Yes. Single pinch... dead center...out.
    11-19-2018 12:56 PM
    I have been an iPhone user forever (and android) and coming from an iPhone XS (and all iphones before it) to the Pixel 3XL... Pinch to zoom is GARBAGE on it and android in general..... I have to fight to zoom into a photo.. most the time I just double tap to zoom because the pinch method is beyond annoying on Android.
    11-19-2018 01:46 PM
    First let me start with I am an iPhone user and have a XS Max, so don't shoot me.

I had an OG Pixel XL I got to keep when leaving my last job and thought it was a good phone. I also regret selling it. I wouldn't mind having another Android again as a secondary play phone.

So with the $200 off on the Pixel 3 XL this week, I was thinking about picking one up. So I went to Best buy to play with one, and felt a little underwhelmed, but I usually feel like that when I am comparing an Android phone to an iPhone.

But one thing I noticed which was odd. When you are looking at photos in the photo gallery and try to pinch zoom on them, I have to pinch like 3 times to go all the way in. It's almost like the screen isn't registering my fingers very well or something. The iPhone is way more sensitive and zooms all the way in the one reverse pinch. I don't remember that on my OG Pixel, but I haven't had it for awhile so I might have forgotten. So being curious, I tried this on 2 different 3 XLs there and on a Pixel 2, and all did the same thing. Was just a really bad pinch zoom on all of them.

Second, and this might be more of something to get used to, but Google's version of the gestures is not nearly as good as Apples. I couldn't figure out on my own how to exit an app to go back to the home screen. On my iPhone I just slide up. On the Pixel, sliding all the way up gets you to your app drawer, or a partial slide up takes you to the task manager.

The notch doesn't bother me. Been there done that last year when I got the iPhone X. Everyone was besides themselves about it, and most people got over it. So when people complain about the notch on the XL, it makes me laugh a little. It's not a big deal and you get used to it real quick. I don't even really notice is any more on my iPhone.

Other than that, I really don't need to be spending $699 on another phone, but I am still feeling the urge to get it for some reason.
    Are you talking about Google photos?
    I can zoom double tap or pinch to zoom.
    11-19-2018 02:18 PM
    Are you talking about Google photos?
    I can zoom double tap or pinch to zoom.
    Yes, that was the only thing on the display Pixel at Best Buy to try photos.

On another note, I stopped by a different BB at lunch, and the same issue with all the Pixels there as well.

But what really irked me was the fact that BB really limits what you can do on the display models. Somehow they had the WiFi menu blocked, and no cellular connection, so you couldn't really do anything on the phone to test it out. That's like sitting in a nice car with an empty gas tank. Useless. I asked the girl there why they have the WiFi connection blocked, and she said for security reasons. Blah, lame excuse. All their iPhones on display were on WiFi and able to connect.

As far as the pinch zoom. sure it works, but what I am saying is that on the iPhone, with one pinch I can completely zoom in all the way. On the Pixel, I had to do it like 3 times. Each time would only go a little bit more in, so I had to keep doing it until it went all the way in.

I guess I'll have to hit up a Verizon store to really check one out, being as theirs at least will be able to go online. Maybe the crappy demo software BB puts on is making is do weird things.
    @Sooks

So I'm curious, what made you switch from an iPhone XS to the Pixel?
    11-19-2018 02:54 PM
    Yes, that was the only thing on the display Pixel at Best Buy to try photos.

On another note, I stopped by a different BB at lunch, and the same issue with all the Pixels there as well.

But what really irked me was the fact that BB really limits what you can do on the display models. Somehow they had the WiFi menu blocked, and no cellular connection, so you couldn't really do anything on the phone to test it out. That's like sitting in a nice car with an empty gas tank. Useless. I asked the girl there why they have the WiFi connection blocked, and she said for security reasons. Blah, lame excuse. All their iPhones on display were on WiFi and able to connect.

As far as the pinch zoom. sure it works, but what I am saying is that on the iPhone, with one pinch I can completely zoom in all the way. On the Pixel, I had to do it like 3 times. Each time would only go a little bit more in, so I had to keep doing it until it went all the way in.

I guess I'll have to hit up a Verizon store to really check one out, being as theirs at least will be able to go online. Maybe the crappy demo software BB puts on is making is do weird things.
    @Sooks

So I'm curious, what made you switch from an iPhone XS to the Pixel?
    I didn't switch I own a iPhone x ,and pixel plus a list of other phones
    I tried the pinch to zoom on both pixel 3 xl and iPhone x does same way
    I don't know what to say
    11-19-2018 03:03 PM
    I didn't switch I own a iPhone x ,and pixel plus a list of other phones
    I tried the pinch to zoom on both pixel 3 xl and iPhone x does same way
    I don't know what to say
    Thanks. I'll see how the phones react at a Verizon store. Probably just another Best Buy wierdness.

The comment about switching from the iPhone to the Pixel was directly at Sooks. Sorry.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-19-2018 03:11 PM
    Were you able to zoom all the way into a picture with just one pinch? Maybe it was something up with the way Best Buy had their demo's set up.

I am going to stop by the Best Buy near work at lunchtime, which is a different Best Buy I was at the other day and see how their's works.
    I have an XL and I get the zoom in 1 pinch except for the last 1/4 inch
    11-19-2018 03:17 PM
    Don't need no stinkin' pinch to zoom! Double-tap that photo, then double-tap again but hold on that second tap...then slide your finger up and down (without picking up from the second tap).

That's in google photos only but is the same gesture from Maps but you have to double-tap first, then double-tap hold to get that sweet swiping action going.
    11-19-2018 03:47 PM
    Oh hey there is another question I had.

Does the Pixel 3 XL support Portrait mode with the front facing camera? One thing I like on the iPhone is that I can use Portrait mode when I am feeling vain and taking a selfie.
    11-19-2018 04:33 PM
    Oh hey there is another question I had.

Does the Pixel 3 XL support Portrait mode with the front facing camera? One thing I like on the iPhone is that I can use Portrait mode when I am feeling vain and taking a selfie.
    Yes but not like the iPhone x or up with studio modes
    11-19-2018 04:35 PM
    I've never had issues with pinch-to-zoom. It works about the same in Google Photos as it does on my work iPhone 7.
    11-19-2018 05:01 PM
    Interesting, I almost don't want to check lol.
    11-19-2018 07:33 PM
    Display phones in Best Buy are probably not gonna operate best for you.
    11-19-2018 07:43 PM
    Display phones in Best Buy are probably not gonna operate best for you.
    They absolutely won't. They're locked down in permanent demo mode.
    11-19-2018 10:39 PM