11-29-2018 05:10 AM
54 123
tools
    Scott, it's amazing (my opinion) how many people that complain about phone issues..... Don't actually have said phone.

I jumped on the original Pixel xl day one. It seemed (again my opinion) every sammy fan in the world came out and slammed the Pixel.

This thing is the best phone I have ever had and have never had a single problem. (yes I know some have actually had issues).

Now I have 2 XL 3's on the FedEx truck and they can't get here quick enough.
    This. Just buy the Pixel if it ticks your boxes. Google sends out bug fixes quick anyway. None of the bugs reported appear to be usability breaking or without fixes, and Google sends out bugfixes quickly anyway.
    11-20-2018 09:20 PM
    Are we talking legitimate press here or just an internet post?
    There's a _BIG_ difference.
    I have an XL and am going to look at the XL 3. The bug reports? don't know they bother me that much.
    Bugs always make the press. But the extent of the damage across the multitudes of phones sold is not apparent. Press also makes it sound like every single phone is problematic, when it could literally be less than 2% are affected for all we know.
    11-21-2018 04:46 AM
    Are we talking legitimate press here or just an internet post?
    There's a _BIG_ difference.
    I have an XL and am going to look at the XL 3. The bug reports? don't know they bother me that much.
    I'm talking about anybody sharing articles on the internet. Everybody loves to repear stuff even if the entire basis of the article could be an obscure tweet of an isolated incident. Software bug reports most usually seem more prevalent than they actually are.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    11-21-2018 04:52 AM
    I was a bit hesitant about getting the Pixel due to all the issues, but ultimately I decided to give it a go. I convinced myself that these issues were rare and over-reported - after all, I had never experienced any issues with my previous iPhones despite the various '-gates'. When I received my Pixel, I excitedly looked up all the issues I could find and checked my Pixel for them. Screen was good, speaker was fuzzy but acceptable. Cool, good to go.

Alas, it was not meant to be. Two weeks later I was hit with the camera glitch you linked in your first post. The next day I was having issues with NFC not working. Yes I can still take photos with the normal camera app but I can't make any video calls which is one of my primary uses of my phone being in a temporary long distance relationship. So to some this might not be a dealbreaker but it is to me. It's disheartening that Google has known about it for a few weeks and not even said anything about it. Tech news started reporting on it yesterday so hopefully the further exposure helps pressure Google into finding a fix.

Having said that, I really like the camera and that's pretty much why I'll stay with Pixel for now. On the flipside my boyfriend has a Pixel 3 XL and hasn't had any issues at all. The other users are right, people tend to speak up when they're having issues and stay quiet when everything's going well. Give it a go - it's a pretty impressive phone as long as it's working right, hah.
    11-21-2018 04:56 AM
    I was a bit hesitant about getting the Pixel due to all the issues, but ultimately I decided to give it a go. I convinced myself that these issues were rare and over-reported - after all, I had never experienced any issues with my previous iPhones despite the various '-gates'. When I received my Pixel, I excitedly looked up all the issues I could find and checked my Pixel for them. Screen was good, speaker was fuzzy but acceptable. Cool, good to go.

Alas, it was not meant to be. Two weeks later I was hit with the camera glitch you linked in your first post. The next day I was having issues with NFC not working. Yes I can still take photos with the normal camera app but I can't make any video calls which is one of my primary uses of my phone being in a temporary long distance relationship. So to some this might not be a dealbreaker but it is to me. It's disheartening that Google has known about it for a few weeks and not even said anything about it. Tech news started reporting on it yesterday so hopefully the further exposure helps pressure Google into finding a fix.

Having said that, I really like the camera and that's pretty much why I'll stay with Pixel for now. On the flipside my boyfriend has a Pixel 3 XL and hasn't had any issues at all. The other users are right, people tend to speak up when they're having issues and stay quiet when everything's going well. Give it a go - it's a pretty impressive phone as long as it's working right, hah.
    Did you contact Google? That are pretty good about replacement devices.

Edit: Saw your other post
    11-21-2018 05:20 AM
    Did you contact Google? That are pretty good about replacement devices.
    Ah I posted an update in the camera thread but I'm waiting for the retailer I purchased from to provide me with a replacement device once they receive more stock.

As I purchased from a retailer and not from Google directly, I'd have to send my phone back to them first and wait for them to send me a replacement. Unfortunately I don't have a spare Android phone lying around to use as a backup during the wait, so I'd rather wait for the store to get more in stock (probably a week or so).

Also some users have been denied an RMA which is probably going to happen more now that Google have advised a software fix is coming in the next few weeks.
    11-21-2018 05:28 AM
    Ah I posted an update in the camera thread but I'm waiting for the retailer I purchased from to provide me with a replacement device once they receive more stock.

As I purchased from a retailer and not from Google directly, I'd have to send my phone back to them first and wait for them to send me a replacement. Unfortunately I don't have a spare Android phone lying around to use as a backup during the wait, so I'd rather wait for the store to get more in stock (probably a week or so).

Also some users have been denied an RMA which is probably going to happen more now that Google have advised a software fix is coming in the next few weeks.
    Yes...I updated my post to you because I saw your post in the camera issue thread.
    11-21-2018 05:51 AM
    Haven't had any issues with the Pixel 3 XL.
    Other than operator error.
    11-21-2018 08:19 AM
    I haven't had one issue of any kind with my Verizon purchased 3XL.
    11-21-2018 08:41 AM
    Long time android user who spent a year and a half on an iPhone and came back to the Pixel 3XL. I've had the phone for 2 weeks and have really enjoyed it but I am having a couple issues that are causing me to keep an eye on my return clock. The biggest issue is that I am missing texts in group messages. I have a had texts not come to me in three different groups. It sounds like Google is aware of it and says a fix is on the way but missing messages is a huge deal, especially when you don't know when you are missing something.

Has this happened with any other android devices in the past? Are we pretty confident that it will be resolved sooner rather than later.

Other big issue for me is recorded audio. Just plain awful.
    11-21-2018 09:32 AM
    I say this from the point of not owning a Pixel 3, I still want one. All phones have the potential of having issues because we're dealing with technology. People need to look at it based on their experience and not that if others. When you focus on what others are saying then you're just waiting for something to happen rather than enjoying the moment.
    Michael Detwiler likes this.
    11-22-2018 08:06 AM
    I say this from the point of not owning a Pixel 3, I still want one. All phones have the potential of having issues because we're dealing with technology. People need to look at it based on their experience and not that if others. When you focus on what others are saying then you're just waiting for something to happen rather than enjoying the moment.
    That’s a very good statement. I think we all let these reviews/blogs/etc. cloud our judgment. And we go into it looking for issues instead of enjoying what we have. It has stopped me from leaving iOS for so long. Mostly because I read the stupid comments and issues on new Android phones and get cold feet. I think the sale going on right now is going to put me over the top and give it a shot.
    11-22-2018 09:18 AM
    So I have had my two 3XL's for a few days now. Other than debating if I want to send back the 2 I got from Google and grab 2 from Best Buy on the deal they just announced and save an EXTRA 600 bucks.......

These phones are fantastic. Came from original XL's, which now get handed down to the kids.

We have had no issues....... Except the Android Central app won't run.

Opens, then crashes. Everything else is good. So AC..... Update your app
    DMP89145 likes this.
    11-22-2018 10:29 AM
    Well... Legit sources... Like.. Getting a no go eating for damage after breaking from a drop off the top of a 10' ladder. Like complaints about memory management after opening a thousand apps as fast as you can.. Then going back and opening the first one. When reading about complaints that you can not duplicate... So you try to anyway... And you find something else that's weird.

Everyone is a legitimate source, if an issue happens to you. Otherwise it's not so important. Most people do not see any issues....or, your issue is not as important to me. Different strokes. Best you can do is try it... See if it works for you.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    11-22-2018 10:56 AM
    Well... Legit sources... Like.. Getting a no go eating for damage after breaking from a drop off the top of a 10' ladder. Like complaints about memory management after opening a thousand apps as fast as you can.. Then going back and opening the first one. When reading about complaints that you can not duplicate... So you try to anyway... And you find something else that's weird.

Everyone is a legitimate source, if an issue happens to you. Otherwise it's not so important. Most people do not see any issues....or, your issue is not as important to me. Different strokes. Best you can do is try it... See if it works for you.
    Google anything on the Internet.
    Something is wrong with everything.
    Everything that happens bad happens to everybody.
    Don't buy nothing
    It might happen to you.
    Michael Detwiler likes this.
    11-22-2018 11:07 AM
    I guess 2 anecdotes from me, take it with a grain of salt. I'm a pixel 2 XL owner, I love the camera know this phone and it's speed, updates etc. But there is one nagging problem I personally (and a friend of mine who owns the 2 XL also) come across oh too often. When playing a game (any game really) and you want to snap a photo or so, then go back to the game, the game refreshes losing any type of progress that you had. I have recreated this literally every time I tried. Tried the battery adaption of keeping certain apps off. Or just turning off battery adaption. It's so frustrating to open an app, leave it open for a while as you do other things, then open the app again and it refreshes. This can be done by opening an app (say YouTube or something) then browse the web, and YouTube will crash or just stop working while your browsing the web. That's only 2 freaking apps! I would love this phone so much if they ever fix the memory issue. For both the pixel 2 XL and 3 XL.
    11-22-2018 11:19 AM
    I guess 2 anecdotes from me, take it with a grain of salt. I'm a pixel 2 XL owner, I love the camera know this phone and it's speed, updates etc. But there is one nagging problem I personally (and a friend of mine who owns the 2 XL also) come across oh too often. When playing a game (any game really) and you want to snap a photo or so, then go back to the game, the game refreshes losing any type of progress that you had. I have recreated this literally every time I tried. Tried the battery adaption of keeping certain apps off. Or just turning off battery adaption. It's so frustrating to open an app, leave it open for a while as you do other things, then open the app again and it refreshes. This can be done by opening an app (say YouTube or something) then browse the web, and YouTube will crash or just stop working while your browsing the web. That's only 2 freaking apps! I would love this phone so much if they ever fix the memory issue. For both the pixel 2 XL and 3 XL.

Ever gone to Goodgle and typed in Google activity.
    Gone to delete google activity out from today to forever.
    Then deleted History out of your phohe.
    Might give it a try and see if it helps.
    My wife has a Samsung Note 9 with 6 GB memory.
    I have to do this to her phone from week to week because there is so much that is retained by google.
    11-22-2018 11:39 AM
    I don't have any of the issues the press has been spouting constantly. (Knock on wood)
    11-23-2018 07:45 AM
    Regular Pixel, zero issues
    11-23-2018 07:50 AM
    Pixel 3, zero issues.
    11-23-2018 08:16 AM
    I remember reading about all of the bugs with the Pixel 2 XL, the blue screen, the burn-in, the ugly display etc and I never encountered any of it, it's enough to make you crazy, just pull the trigger and buy that sucker.
    Michael Detwiler and DMP89145 like this.
    11-23-2018 09:07 AM
    I remember reading about all of the bugs with the Pixel 2 XL, the blue screen, the burn-in, the ugly display etc and I never encountered any of it, it's enough to make you crazy, just pull the trigger and buy that sucker.
    Same here, none of those "issues"
    11-23-2018 09:08 AM
    Pixel 3 XL, I had faulty camera but exchanged via RMA and replacement one is fine. Overall I don't consider software bugs as big deal since those things gets fixed in an update or two. Hardware issues like the one I had happens with every phone if you are unlucky, but no big deal you get it exchanged. I have had deal pixel on one of my Samsung phone few years back and exchanged with no issue.

I wouldn't say these are the best phones in terms of QC but there are a lot of people out there who just hate what the Pixel phones stand for and try to make a big deal out of every issue. They are still pissed that they are not cheap like Nexus phones or don't offer ton of features like Samsung/Huawei etc or just plain hate Google. Just look at r/Android subreddit, any anti Google post gets up voted like crazy. From what I see from posts on Reddit I feel majority of Asian market kind of hates iPhones/Pixel because they don't have sd card, expensive or filled with features etc. They probably value features on paper than the overall experience a phone offers, and not value software/updates from what I see.
    They don't understand the value of Pixel phones, simple software, fast updates, secure etc. There are many who value those things and would gladly pay a premium just like many who value features and pay a premium for Samsung/Huawei or any other phones.

It's just different choices and you get to choose what's important for you. There are great premium phones with features like S9/Note 9/P20, great simple experience with fast updates like Pixel, value phones like OnePlus with great experience.
    DMP89145 and chezm like this.
    11-23-2018 02:17 PM
    I ordered a Pixel 3 this evening.

Thanks everyone for calming my fears of terrible defects.
    11-23-2018 11:20 PM
    I have entered the fold.

I got my Pixel 3 two days ago and I'm loving it. The step down in size from the 2XL is exactly what I wanted.

I am afraid to say this "out loud" so as not to cause cosmic retribution but, as most of you reported similarly here, I am not seeing any problems. I don't even see this issue with only being able to have a few apps open in the background. It has just as many as my 2XL kept in the background. <knock on wood> <bang on wood>

The curved screen makes screen protectors unpleasant, at least the one I bought after surveying tons of them. That's just where we are with phones now.

It's my first phone with a "small screen" in a long time and I am liking the downsized living!
    billchat and DMP89145 like this.
    11-28-2018 08:25 PM
54 123