Pixel 3 Camera vs Iphone X

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I have both phones and just finished a cruise. About 10 miles from Gibraltar at night, I took a photo with the Iphone X and the Pixel 3. The difference was staggering; the Pixel 3 was much, much better. I was a little surprised. This was before night mode. Sorry I don't have the ability now to post the photos. Interesting.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel (2 and 3) have a picture processing chip designed by Google that makes it the camera to compare against - and that was before night mode came out. (And the chip isn't going to be made available for other vendors, just as iMessages isn't available to others - every vendor has its own proprietary things.)

Add night mode to that chip and you have a camera that takes pictures of things you can't see with the naked eye. (I took a shot the other night, in front of my house, not realizing that the foundation plants in front of the house would be in the shot - all I saw in that area of the screen was black. When I looked at the shot, I could see the differences in the color of the leaves. Add the OIS, and it's truly amazing to someone who started with "develop it yourself" film photography.)

djisia87

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have both phones and just finished a cruise. About 10 miles from Gibraltar at night, I took a photo with the Iphone X and the Pixel 3. The difference was staggering; the Pixel 3 was much, much better. I was a little surprised. This was before night mode. Sorry I don't have the ability now to post the photos. Interesting.

it will be a fair compariosn between Pixel3 and Xs (both 2018). Overall its better on Pixel 2 vs X already

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Pixel excels in low light regardless of Night sight. iPhone, especially the X, struggles if it doesn’t have the necessary light, not just low light.

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear about real user experience when comparing devices. Some not all YouTubers will try to give Apple the benefits of still being the best, when in reality they're not.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear about real user experience when comparing devices. Some not all YouTubers will try to give Apple the benefits of still being the best, when in reality they're not.

Many YouTubers and even The Verge have been giving Pixel credit and raving how great the camera is. I think those days of ‘Apple is the only best’ is over.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Depends on ones needs. Even last years iPhone can do 4K video at 24fps and 60fps and also do 1080p at 240fps. Great for those who do a lot of videos and have a need for more than just basic point and shoot videos.
Few android phones can do that (and pixel isn’t one of them).
Basically all top tier phones the last few years have cameras good enough for the vast majority of people.
“Best” is subjective and simply in the eye of the beholder.
Stop worrying, fussing, and chest pounding about gear and simply go out and shoot.