Should I get more memory because of Top Shot? (pre-purchase question)

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I looked at my 2XL 128 and I am using about 42GB. I plan to buy a Pixel 3 and was going to just get the 64GB model. Then, I was thinking... does the Top Shot feature cause the phone to use more memory for photos than in the past?

I don't really understand what it does with all the extra photos. I did read that if you pick a shot other than the original, it's actually a lower resolution. Just not sure what it does with the stack of alternate photos?

Thanks!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I looked at my 2XL 128 and I am using about 42GB. I plan to buy a Pixel 3 and was going to just get the 64GB model. Then, I was thinking... does the Top Shot feature cause the phone to use more memory for photos than in the past?

I don't really understand what it does with all the extra photos. I did read that if you pick a shot other than the original, it's actually a lower resolution. Just not sure what it does with the stack of alternate photos?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the extra memory but just store them with Google and delete off phone.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about the extra memory but just store them with Google and delete off phone.

I'm concerned for when I travel where I don't get access to WiFi as often. If the phone is going to use 50% more memory than my current one by saving dozens of extra shots, I may neeed to think 128. I just really don't want to spend anymore.

If it's just a little more and it dumps the extra photos from memory after a short period of time, I think the 64 should be fine.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So you've decided on a 3 :)

I would say I'm 75% there. My friend decided not to get one so I would be going for the $150 discount. I also went to Best Buy to hold it.

Who am I kidding.... yeah, I'm getting one. Down to 64 or 128. Trying to make sure there is nothing I'm missing with this question about TopShot.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm concerned for when I travel where I don't get access to WiFi as often. If the phone is going to use 50% more memory than my current one by saving dozens of extra shots, I may neeed to think 128. I just really don't want to spend anymore.

If it's just a little more and it dumps the extra photos from memory after a short period of time, I think the 64 should be fine.

Well after you take them you can pick the one you want to save. The original is the largest and the saved one is a lower resolution

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well after you take them you can pick the one you want to save. The original is the largest and the saved one is a lower resolution

Does it do it every time you take a picture or is it something you turn on/off?

Then - do you only have an opportunity to pick a shot right after the photo is taken?

Maybe I should head back to Best Buy and start snapping photos, investigate.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Does it do it every time you take a picture or is it something you turn on/off?

Then - do you only have an opportunity to pick a shot right after the photo is taken?

Maybe I should head back to Best Buy and start snapping photos, investigate.

You turn it on with motion photos....you can go back to it anytime you want

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I would say I'm 75% there. My friend decided not to get one so I would be going for the $150 discount. I also went to Best Buy to hold it.

Who am I kidding.... yeah, I'm getting one. Down to 64 or 128. Trying to make sure there is nothing I'm missing with this question about TopShot.
I'm in the same boat. I sent you a PM.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon