One month of the Pixel 3XL

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Seems like the rapid charging on the Pixel started with PIE.
Google knows about it and is gonna do a release on it.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...pixel-fast-charge-android-pie-fix-coming-soon

Think Redneck Mike Dee knows a lot about it.
I would work on him to see what all he knows.
And if you can get him to talk.
Twist his arm if you have to.

Rapid charging has been a think since the Pixel 1. It identifies when it's using PD. In the case of the Pixel 3 and wireless charging it displays that when using the Proprietary Google charger.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
So if I have in my car is a 12 volt DC 180 watt.
That is a USB to C and it will not charge rapid.
What needs to happen.
Pie update to do what exactly

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So if I have in my car is a 12 volt DC 180 watt.
That is a USB to C and it will not charge rapid.
What needs to happen.
Pie update to do what exactly

Just plug it in
Your phone accessory will only pull the volts to rapid charge the phone which will be 5v and 10 w it will not use more then what that accessory can give out

sraj49

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I am so happy with my Pixel 3 XL. So far absolutely no issues. I got used to the presence of notch. The performance overall is amazing. The camera excels but the night sight is astounding.

Ronald Bernard

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I am happy to hear so many of you are happy. I decided to upgrade from the 2XL. The notch for me has never really been an issue so that didn't play into my decision. Mine should be delivered later this week so I'll repost my thoughts once I get some time with it.

Akhan24

Nov 23, 2018
Visit site
I've owned about 8 different phones this year (yes I have a problem) I started with the Note 8 coming in from 2017, then switched to the S9+, Pixel 2 XL, Razer Phone, OnePlus 6, Note 9, OnePlus 6T, and now finally the Pixel 3 XL. I can honestly say that this phone is the most well-balanced phone in terms of features and smartphone standards of 2018. Unlike its predecessor, it now sports wireless charging, IP68 (vs 1P67 from last year) water resistance, the stereo speakers are MUCH more improved, and the screen is just beautiful. to me that's worth paying the $50 difference from last year's price. I got this phone for $700, but price aside, it's for sure a premium feeling handset. The software runs as it should, buttery smooth and oh that sweet sweet camera. my only gripe with that is that I wish it had 4K recording at 60 frames per second, but since it is sporting the 845 SoC, it's possible to push that feature out with a future update. All in all, 9/10. Would recommend it to anyone who has the 2 XL, a non-S9/Note 9 Samsung device, or just anyone who is looking for that clean user experience while sporting the best camera that can fit in your pocket.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Pixel 3 for 23 days, love it...sometimes wonder if I should have went with XL but oh well sticking with this for next 2 years. Never the less the product is amazing, it's the iPhone of Android...coming back to Android from iOS the delivery of the experience has been amazing.

Glad you're liking the upgrade

sp44

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I think the Note 9 and Pixel 3 XL are the two best phones out.
I've owned about 8 different phones this year (yes I have a problem) I started with the Note 8 coming in from 2017, then switched to the S9+, Pixel 2 XL, Razer Phone, OnePlus 6, Note 9, OnePlus 6T, and now finally the Pixel 3 XL. I can honestly say that this phone is the most well-balanced phone in terms of features and smartphone standards of 2018. Unlike its predecessor, it now sports wireless charging, IP68 (vs 1P67 from last year) water resistance, the stereo speakers are MUCH more improved, and the screen is just beautiful. to me that's worth paying the $50 difference from last year's price. I got this phone for $700, but price aside, it's for sure a premium feeling handset. The software runs as it should, buttery smooth and oh that sweet sweet camera. my only gripe with that is that I wish it had 4K recording at 60 frames per second, but since it is sporting the 845 SoC, it's possible to push that feature out with a future update. All in all, 9/10. Would recommend it to anyone who has the 2 XL, a non-S9/Note 9 Samsung device, or just anyone who is looking for that clean user experience while sporting the best camera that can fit in your pocket.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you I came from the pixel 2 XL and although some YouTubers say it might not be worth the upgrade I disagree bc honestly to me just the screen upgrade alone makes it worth the uofrade. It is pleasant to look at especially since I stare at it all day and makes the experience so much better than the pixel 2 XL. I also really love the build quality and I've learned to embrace the notch. At first like most I really was meh about the notch, but I knew it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I even used natcho notch app for a while to hide the notch, but I have recently I'd say in the past 2 weeks been rocking the notch and it literally feels invisible to me bc it sort of now just gets zoned out I guess bc I'm used to it.

The only 2 things I'm looking forward to Google updating is the memory management bc I don't like how apps reload too often and lose their current state. Also if I load the camera app it usually closes my other apps like if I'm listening to music via Google play music and all of a sudden I decide to take a pic of my kids it closes it completely stopping the song from playing. I notice it also closing YouTube and Spotify. I don't think 4gb of ram is an issue bc the pixel 2 XL had also 4gb of ram but with no ram management issues and the pixel 3 XL has a even faster chip now so if anything it should run even better. The other issue is the mic when recording video. The pixel 2 XL had the same issue most of the year where the mic sounded similar to the 3, but a few months ago Google with an update made the mic sound good. If they can tweak the mic on the 3 then boom for me it would be a phone with 0 issues. Despite their 2 issues mentioned I still love this phone.
After a month with the new pixel 3XL that I upgraded to from the pixel 2xl, I find that I am very pleased with my choice. I like pretty much everything about the phone but the camera feature really makes it exceptional. With the addition of the night sight enhancement, it is a very special phone to own.

Last edited:

WannabeFunnyMan

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I got my Pixel 3 on November 4th. I came from the Pixel 2. Up until the S8/Pixel 2 I had been a large phone guy. I loved the hardware on the S8 but I can't stand the Sammy UI. I traded it for my Pixel 2 and in my opinion I won that trade hands down. It didn't have the same feel but it was the right size and the fluidity was like nothing I'd ever experienced. When I saw I could get a performance bump and a better, brighter screen, I jumped at the chance and got the Pixel 3. Other than the memory management issues that many others also experienced (and have since disappeared) I have not had a single problem. I love the new speakers and the new screen, two features that for me are essential (after a great camera, obviously) for a great phone experience. If you asked me to nit pick about the Pixel 2 I was using, I would have fixed the things that Google fixed and came up with my perfect phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I got my Pixel 3 on November 4th. I came from the Pixel 2. Up until the S8/Pixel 2 I had been a large phone guy. I loved the hardware on the S8 but I can't stand the Sammy UI. I traded it for my Pixel 2 and in my opinion I won that trade hands down. It didn't have the same feel but it was the right size and the fluidity was like nothing I'd ever experienced. When I saw I could get a performance bump and a better, brighter screen, I jumped at the chance and got the Pixel 3. Other than the memory management issues that many others also experienced (and have since disappeared) I have not had a single problem. I love the new speakers and the new screen, two features that for me are essential (after a great camera, obviously) for a great phone experience. If you asked me to nit pick about the Pixel 2 I was using, I would have fixed the things that Google fixed and came up with my perfect phone.

I'm a firm believer that some of the memory mangement issues I initially experienced were a result of the device learning my software habits. Mind you, for the most part, I only experienced things that were mentioned after deliberate testing.