Swipe Fingerprint for Notifications Inconsistent

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that if you put your finger on the sensor and wait a second before swiping down or up it seems!s to respond better. Like it needs a second to register that your finger is on the sensor?

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Pixel 3 and noticed the swipe gesture on the fingerprint sensor to pull down the notification shade is not very consistent. This feature works a lot better on my Pixel 2.

Is this a hardware issue or something that can be resolved with software?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Pixel 3 and noticed the swipe gesture on the fingerprint sensor to pull down the notification shade is not very consistent. This feature works a lot better on my Pixel 2.
Do you have a case on your Pixel 3? If you remove it (temporarily of course) does that feature work correctly?

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a case on your Pixel 3? If you remove it (temporarily of course) does that feature work correctly?
I'm not using a case on either my Pixel 2 or Pixel 3. The fingerprint sensor on the 2 responds consistently when using different swipe pressures and speeds. The 3 is inconsistent but seems to work best when I perform a slow and deliberate swipe. Swiping up is more inconsistent than swiping down.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not using a case on either my Pixel 2 or Pixel 3. The fingerprint sensor on the 2 responds consistently when using different swipe pressures and speeds. The 3 is inconsistent but seems to work best when I perform a slow and deliberate swipe. Swiping up is more inconsistent than swiping down.
Since you have both devices you can use something like DevCheck https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flar2.devcheck to identify the fingerprint sensors in both phones; I'm guessing that they used a different sensor in the Pixel 3 line and for whatever reason it's not as responsive in this scenario.
Hard to tell if they can/will fix it with software but the squeaky wheel gets the grease - send feedback!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

My biggest problem is I forget it's a feature.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Same difference. If you can operate the smaller phone easily enough with 1 hand than you can swipe notifications from the screen too all the same. More of an added convenience for both sizes I think.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Same difference. If you can operate the smaller phone easily enough with 1 hand than you can swipe notifications from the screen too all the same. More of an added convenience for both sizes I think.
It's much easier to use the fingerprint scanner with my index finger to pull the notification shade down than it is to swipe down with my thumb from the top of the screen. My thumbs won't reach. So no, not "same difference".

I can reach across the wish of the smaller phone easily and type one handed. This is difficult for me on the XL.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's much easier to use the fingerprint scanner with my index finger to pull the notification shade down than it is to swipe down with my thumb from the top of the screen. My thumbs won't reach. So no, not "same difference".

I can reach across the wish of the smaller phone easily and type one handed. This is difficult for me on the XL.

I was referring to just the FPS access

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Make sense. Guess I never realized that with my gorilla hands. Lol

Beachboy63

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
This feature is very inconsistent on my Pixel 3XL, both with a case and without a case. Sometimes it works exactly as it should. But then I'll try to repeat it and I'll get nothing after swiping down several times. The feature did work more consistently on my Pixel 2XL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol