*Quick* Galaxy s9 or Pixel 3?

mia_xoxo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Okay so I've been thinking about this for the past 4 days and I'm still having a difficult time deciding between the two. I currently have the s9 in my possession as my android device but I really want to try out the pixel 3. I'm sitting here trying to break down the differences and its pretty challenging to say the least.

They both seem very capable of doing what I need so now I would like to hear from those who have the phone, what is your take? I would like to come up with a decision tonight since the black Friday deal will be over in a few hours (Dont want to miss out on a good deal) plus I only have a few more days left before I am out of my return window with my s9.

My s9 is 64 GB of course, but has an expandable so card slot (no I dont have one in there as of now) anyone opt for the 64 GB pixel and okay with the storage?

Also for those with the pixels did you all get the preferred care as well? My s9 is through my carrier so I have insurance on it. Wondering if I should get it for the pixel if I go that route.

......Help me please lol

mia_xoxo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
What interests you about the Pixel 3? the S9 is a pretty powerful device. What do you think would be different trying a Pixel?
The biggest thing is the camera. I have small children that I'm constantly taking pictures of and a lot of times my pictures come out blurry or the shutter lags and I miss the shot altogether which is so frustrating. Another thing that really caught my eye was the screen calling, (I dont like answering calls to be honest) to see if a call is even worth an answer that's pretty awesome. Also having google assistant instead of Bixby is nice. I can't stand when I trigger Bixby on accident.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
The biggest thing is the camera. I have small children that I'm constantly taking pictures of and a lot of times my pictures come out blurry or the shutter lags and I miss the shot altogether which is so frustrating. Another thing that really caught my eye was the screen calling, (I dont like answering calls to be honest) to see if a call is even worth an answer that's pretty awesome. Also having google assistant instead of Bixby is nice. I can't stand when I trigger Bixby on accident.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm definitely and advocate for the device, but I aslo don't think it's for everyone. There are some other really great devices out there as well.

With what you've listed, however, I think you should grab a Pixel 3 while they are on sale. It sounds like your user style would line up well with a Pixel device, IMO.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Had a Samsung Galaxy S9 and switched over to the Pixel 3. Couldn't stand all the duplicate and unused apps that you couldn't uninstall or disable on the Samsung phone, and the zillions of settings that appeared in multiple places in the Settings app. I mean, Bixby, come on Samsung. For any given Google app, Samsung will do their own version, and not let you remove it from the phone if you prefer the Google version. The S9 screen was fine, and the phone was fast enough. Got tired of waiting for Android security updates as well.

Love the barebones Android on the Pixel, the screen is great, and regular security updates. The phone feels faster than the S9, and in fact may be a touch faster due to having a lot less software on it. When I got the S9 I was aware of the Samsung excess software problem, but I figured if the Android security updates came out regularly, I'd put up with all the rest. Well, that didn't happen :).

Anyways, love the Pixel 3, and much prefer it over the Samsung S9.

mia_xoxo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Had a Samsung Galaxy S9 and switched over to the Pixel 3. Couldn't stand all the duplicate and unused apps that you couldn't uninstall or disable on the Samsung phone, and the zillions of settings that appeared in multiple places in the Settings app. I mean, Bixby, come on Samsung. For any given Google app, Samsung will do their own version, and not let you remove it from the phone if you prefer the Google version. The S9 screen was fine, and the phone was fast enough. Got tired of waiting for Android security updates as well.

Love the barebones Android on the Pixel, the screen is great, and regular security updates. The phone feels faster than the S9, and in fact may be a touch faster due to having a lot less software on it. When I got the S9 I was aware of the Samsung excess software problem, but I figured if the Android security updates came out regularly, I'd put up with all the rest. Well, that didn't happen :).

Anyways, love the Pixel 3, and much prefer it over the Samsung S9.
I can agree, I like the idea of the plain android experience and the on time software updates. Now that you've mentioned it I do notice that there is a duplicate of the apps. I wonder if that does play a factor in the speed of the phone over time. Thank you for your response.

kevin_nj

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
I had three Galaxy phones, S7 being the last. I replaced that with the P3. So far I'm glad I did. I have found a few things that Samsung had which was not native Android that I missed. I've made up for that with other apps though.

Top three reasons I did not buy another Galaxy.
1: each prior one started to run like a dog within a year
2: I got fed up with having Samsung and carrier apps forced onto my phone. Some I could disable, others I could not.
3: I'm a technical instructor, many of the students that come to my classes have company issued Galaxy phones. Bixby is always being wrongly triggered. I've yet to have someone tell me they liked Bixby.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site

I'd go with the Pixel 3 - your quoted post is reason enough.

mia_xoxo

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
For those of you that do have the pixel, have you all purchased the preferred care for your phone? Is it really something that is necessary?

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
For those of you that do have the pixel, have you all purchased the preferred care for your phone? Is it really something that is necessary?

I have the Pixel 2 XL. Didn't purchase the preferred care. I did put it into a decent case, though.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I purchased it but I have yet to break phone. I did drown one I once though. I purchased it because I got nervous because it's all glass. I probably don't need the second year of warranty since I've been upgrading yearly. Besides the 129 out of pocket there is also a deductible so keep that in mind. If you guys from Google you have to buy it at the same time as the device but I believe you can cancel the warranty up to 30 days but double check me on the timeframe

Last edited:

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
For anyone who doesn't want Bixby, you can completely make it disappear. If you want to use the button for something else, you can do that too, like if you press it you can launch the camera or phone dialpad etc.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Okay so I've been thinking about this for the past 4 days and I'm still having a difficult time deciding between the two. I currently have the s9 in my possession as my android device but I really want to try out the pixel 3. I'm sitting here trying to break down the differences and its pretty challenging to say the least.

They both seem very capable of doing what I need so now I would like to hear from those who have the phone, what is your take? I would like to come up with a decision tonight since the black Friday deal will be over in a few hours (Dont want to miss out on a good deal) plus I only have a few more days left before I am out of my return window with my s9.

My s9 is 64 GB of course, but has an expandable so card slot (no I dont have one in there as of now) anyone opt for the 64 GB pixel and okay with the storage?

Also for those with the pixels did you all get the preferred care as well? My s9 is through my carrier so I have insurance on it. Wondering if I should get it for the pixel if I go that route.

......Help me please lol

I have the s9+ and the pixel 3xl
Now you have the s9 which dont have the dual aperture camera and less ram 4gb vs 6gb on the plus . If you had the s9+ it be harder to leave it but you have the smaller s9 , which is why I'll suggest the pixel 3 because its same ram and camera setup as the bigger 3xl . As for my pixel 3xl its 64gb storage which is more then enough for me .

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I think the main reason to pick a Pixel is for the camera and software. I'm a software junkie and love getting all the latest updates and major releases. if those don't matter to you, the S9 may be fine. It has a pretty good camera also.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I had an original XL, just upgraded to the 3XL.

We went to the "light show at the zoo" over the weekend. By the third exhibit, everyone that was with us had their phones in their pockets and just used the 3XL for pictures.

If you even occasionally take a Pic or two, and it is even remotely important that you are able to see said picture....

Get a Pixel.

All of them have the same (or 90+%) camera software.

They always take fanatic pictures.... And now with night sight...

2 new apples and 3 new S9's stayed in people's pockets while the XL3 took all of the pictures and sent them to the owners of the the "other phones"

mgssrs

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I have had 3 Galaxy phones and just got a Pixel 3. The camera is great. I love the zoom and the night shot is good.
I got 4 pixels for the family. one office was dropped the first day and the screen broke. No insurance at the time. We have a couple of weeks to add it through Best buy. Does anyone know if they will let you add it if the screen is cracked? I know Apple will do that

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have had 3 Galaxy phones and just got a Pixel 3. The camera is great. I love the zoom and the night shot is good.
I got 4 pixels for the family. one office was dropped the first day and the screen broke. No insurance at the time. We have a couple of weeks to add it through Best buy. Does anyone know if they will let you add it if the screen is cracked? I know Apple will do that

I don't know of anyone who will knowing let you add it after it's damaged. Apple does a diagnostic if it's purchased after the sale but it probably doesn't pick up a cracked screen as long as the display works so ultimately you could file a claim. I don't know if Best Buy checks out the phone before adding it. I know Verizon allows 30 days to add the warranty but you have to wait 24 hours to file a claim. The phone normally just has to be able to accept calls during that 24 hours. There is a the question of is it ethical. In any event I don't want to take the thread off topic as the OP is looking for advice on whether to get the phone.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I have the s9+ and the pixel 3xl
Now you have the s9 which dont have the dual aperture camera and less ram 4gb vs 6gb on the plus . If you had the s9+ it be harder to leave it but you have the smaller s9 , which is why I'll suggest the pixel 3 because its same ram and camera setup as the bigger 3xl . As for my pixel 3xl its 64gb storage which is more then enough for me .

The smaller S9 has the dual aperture. What it doesn't have is the telephoto lens.

Anyway, like I said in the OP's post in the S9 forum, if you're unhappy for any reason on your phone and you another one that seems like to scratch your itch better and you can afford it, go for it.

If you're worried that you might end up wanting to go back to the S9, just look for a Pixel deal with a return policy I guess.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The smaller S9 has the dual aperture. What it doesn't have is the telephoto lens.

Anyway, like I said in the OP's post in the S9 forum, if you're unhappy for any reason on your phone and you another one that seems like to scratch your itch better and you can afford it, go for it.

If you're worried that you might end up wanting to go back to the S9, just look for a Pixel deal with a return policy I guess.

I stand corrected on dual aperture for s9 but no telephoto