Is there a way to totally remove the Ambient display and have the phone go directly to the lock screen?

I have the Always on display turned off, but I dislike how when I get a notification, the black ambient display lights up instead of the lock screen like how Android usually works.

When I get a notification or when I double tap the screen, is there a way to set it up that it just goes right to the lock screen like the old way?

It's crazy to have to double tap the screen to get the black ambient screen to come up and then double tap again to get the lock screen.
    11-28-2018 02:29 PM
    Since 'Double-tap to check phone' is part of the Ambient display settings it's unlikely that you can have one without the other, at least, if you're using the stock setup. You could turn all of the Ambient display settings off, which turns Ambient display off, and then use a 3rd party application to get double-tap to wake back.
    I assume that would give you what you're looking for although I haven't tested it myself.
    11-29-2018 07:05 PM
    I guess what I want, Google just doesn't have it programmed that way.

Like other Android phones which have double tap to wake, or like the iPhone which has a single tap to wake.

I want it to wake straight to the lock screen. Waking up the the ambient display is totally useless to me. I want to double tap and see the actual lock screen so I can actually see my new text or emails, or if I want to skip a song on Pandora or Spotify.

As it is right now. I have to double tap to get to the ambient display, and then double tap again to get to the lock screen. What moron and Google thought up that one.

I like the double tap, it just isn't doing what I want it to do like other phones.
    12-06-2018 10:24 AM
    You could try a 3rd party application that supports double-tap to wake without having to enable Ambient Display. Tiles https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...settings.tiles may be a possibility (I'm currently looking to see if it'll do what you want, but it is a paid app and requires setup using ADB). There are lots of others in the Google Play as well.

Edit: well, after setting up that 'Tiles' application it turns out that it won't give you what you're looking for. The double-tap implementation is the same as the built-in solution, so it takes you to the Ambient display screen (even though that's turned off) rather than directly to the Lockscreen. Sorry, guess you'll have to look for other 3rd party solutions.

Be sure to provide feedback directly to Google about your dissatisfaction with the operation of this feature.
    12-06-2018 03:08 PM
    Is there a way to totally remove the Ambient display and have the phone go directly to the lock screen?
    yes, you can do that if you have custom kernel (ElementalX for example) on your Android 9. Just go in stock settings, disable official "double tap to wake" feature, then open any kernel manager (for example, EX kernel manager) -> gestures -> double tap to wake.
    That's all. Now your phone will use kernel's dt2w feature, that skips Ambient Display and wake your device directly into lockscreen.
    12-29-2019 07:25 AM

I have the Always on display turned off, but I dislike how when I get a notification, the black ambient display lights up instead of the lock screen like how Android usually works.

When I get a notification or when I double tap the screen, is there a way to set it up that it just goes right to the lock screen like the old way?

It's crazy to have to double tap the screen to get the black ambient screen to come up and then double tap again to get the lock screen.
    What are you all talking about? I just turned my AOD off and have Double tap to check phone on. When I double tap, the phone turns on and to the lock screen. Double tapping WAKES the phone and gets you to the lock screen. I don't have to double tap twice.
    12-29-2019 08:12 AM
    What are you all talking about?
    Are you using android 9 on your pixel 3/3xl? I am asking this because, if you are using pixel 3/3xl on Android 10 or even using different device, you will not face described issue.
    12-29-2019 08:26 AM
    Are you using android 9 on your pixel 3/3xl? I am asking this because, if you are using pixel 3/3xl on Android 10 or even using different device, you will not face described issue.
    I don't have any issues. Double tapping the AOD or screen off takes me to the lock screen. See OP is needing to double tap twice? That is what I understood from his post. But that is not what should happen.
    12-29-2019 06:11 PM
    See OP is needing to double tap twice? That is what I understood from his post.
    that is exactly how it works in stock Android 9, because dt2w is a part of Ambient Display (thus your first double tap wakes on ambient display, and second double tap wakes on lockscreen - 4 taps total to wake on the lockscreen), and that is the issue OP and I described
    12-30-2019 03:19 AM
    that is exactly how it works in stock Android 9, because dt2w is a part of Ambient Display (thus your first double tap wakes on ambient display, and second double tap wakes on lockscreen - 4 taps total to wake on the lockscreen), and that is the issue OP and I described
    What pixel 3 phone is still on Android 9? LOL
    12-30-2019 04:20 PM