OK Google audible response

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to turn on some sort of audible for the assistants responses without turning on the accessibility features which does other things I don't want. It seems kind of silly to have to look at the phone to confirm I am getting what i am asking for.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to turn on some sort of audible for the assistants responses without turning on the accessibility features which does other things I don't want. It seems kind of silly to have to look at the phone to confirm I am getting what i am asking for.

To confirm you are getting what you are asking for? I guess I am not following your question. If I ask "What is the weather like" and it reads "It is (X) degree in (city)" I know it was right. Would you be able to provide a specific example ?

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
To confirm you are getting what you are asking for? I guess I am not following your question. If I ask "What is the weather like" and it reads "It is (X) degree in (city)" I know it was right. Would you be able to provide a specific example ?
I can't say what specifically CCPS is talking about, but if you set a timer or put something on your shopping list a response is not inherent in the request. And since Assistant DOES make mistakes occasionally, a verbal acknowledgement can be useful.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't say what specifically CCPS is talking about, but if you set a timer or put something on your shopping list a response is not inherent in the request. And since Assistant DOES make mistakes occasionally, a verbal acknowledgement can be useful.

But if I call for assistant and ask a timer it lights up on my phone and starts the timer so you can visually see it -- so that is why I am confused.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
But if I call for assistant and ask a timer it lights up on my phone and starts the timer so you can visually see it -- so that is why I am confused.

Not the OP, but I do frequently talk to GA when I cannot see my phone. I can see a use case for having a spoken response for GA saying what it did (which should be what I asked it to do).

I agree with you, I probably would not use that function, but I see the use case for it. I continue to have issues with GA setting timers from the lock screen and I almost burned a meal because the timer was not set.

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Example: Ok Google send a text. Other than written dialogue on the screen i have not idea that I am being acknowledged. Unless I am looking at the screen. I just did it as a test. the screen just shows "who". Funny thing is I did this three times. twice no audio response then the third time assistant verbally asked me who did I want to text???

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Not the OP, but I do frequently talk to GA when I cannot see my phone. I can see a use case for having a spoken response for GA saying what it did (which should be what I asked it to do).

I agree with you, I probably would not use that function, but I see the use case for it. I continue to have issues with GA setting timers from the lock screen and I almost burned a meal because the timer was not set.

You've just illustrated the use case - if Assistant consistently answered you, you would have known that the timer wasn't set.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You've just illustrated the use case - if Assistant consistently answered you, you would have known that the timer wasn't set.

Yes, that is why I said I see the use case. I still would not use it because while I don't mind talking to my phone, the speed of the prompts when it talks back is infuriating. I mute maps too.

Come to think of it, when I listen to Podcasts and Audible books (2+hours per day), I listen at a minimum of 1.5X, depending on content. I guess I am just not a patient person.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Using a Windows phone then moving to Android I got used to an audible ding when activating Cortana and ok Google..... it was nice to be alerted that the phone was listening. That feature seemed to work on Android up till the Google Assistant replaced ok Google. Now I still get a ding through my Bluetooth..... but when talking to the phone directly I've learned to just say ok Google then my command without waiting for a ding. The assistant's very quick to respond so I'm getting used to no ding.... but I still miss it :-[

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol