Phone vs. Contacts Appa - 2 apps performing similar functions.

Moondoggy

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
This is kind of an FYI and perhaps a bit of a complaint about my Pixel 3.

Yesterday the "Contacts" app was updated on my phone and that app now has the dark theme available. After the update I clicked the icon in the lower half right hand corner of the screen expecting to see the dark theme background only to find that the background was still white. Subsequently I started poking around and clicked on the Contacts Icon in the list of files and found it had the dark theme background. To make long story short I discovered that Pixel 3 owners have 2 separate but almost identical apps that perform similar but not identical functions. The main difference is that there is no seperate app on the Pixel 3 for voicemail as that functionality is built into the Phone app but not available on the Contacts app. The Contacts App appears to be more robust than the contacts on the Phone app. Bottom line is seems strange to me that both of these apps are required (i.e. cannot be uninstalled). Seems to me that Google should have created a separate app for voicemail and defaulted to Contacts as the address book/dialer or have added the voicemail functionality to Contacts or maybe update the Phone app with the dark theme.. Just venting a bit as I think this is strange to have 2 required apps on the phone that are so similar.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I typically only use the phone app. The contacts apps appears to some additional functions to manage contacts

Beachboy63

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
I think I did something as well because, thinking back, the contacts option in my phone app stayed white initially. I did something to change it to dark but cannot recall what I did either.
Same here.....I think I did something for that to happen but don't recall

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had both the phone app and contacts app for about 2 weeks. I don't remember which but one them received the dark theme first, but I can confirm both on dark theme.
I have my contact app dark theme , didn't see the option for phone app?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
for original poster , I don't know why they don't combine the 2 apps together , it's like this on every phone I have .

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree I never ever use the contacts app. I have the Dialer/phone app on my main screen and I click it when I need to dial a # manually, dial one of my favorite contacts and if I need to look up a contact I click on the contacts tab from the dialer/phone app.
for original poster , I don't know why they don't combine the 2 apps together , it's like this on every phone I have .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree I never ever use the contacts app. I have the Dialer/phone app on my main screen and I click it when I need to dial a # manually, dial one of my favorite contacts and if I need to look up a contact I click on the contacts tab from the dialer/phone app.

Exactly

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually now that I think about it I've opted in for the beta version of the phone app so I probably receive it ahead of it being pushed to the general public. You can go-to the play store search for the app and sign up to be part of the beta for the phone app.
Seems not all phones get updates at the same time. Depends on how well you are liked by the Pixel Gods.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
See attached I'm part of the beta for the phone app and why I most likely receive it right away.
5019e1702469e9084fa10a6af6f8f78d.jpg

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Actually now that I think about it I've opted in for the beta version of the phone app so I probably receive it ahead of it being pushed to the general public. You can go-to the play store search for the app and sign up to be part of the beta for the phone app.

I can't find it in Play Store on my phone - Pixel 3 64 GB