Blurry Camera image. Laser Distance Sensor problem.

sjcdal

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Twice yesterday my Pixel 3 XL 128GB was unable to change focus on the rear camera. Very blurry image. (I took several photos, but trashed them or I would post example.)

Reading it appears to be the Laser Distance Sensor is not functioning. I took off the clear plastic case, cleaned the area around the sensor, and restarted the phone. After doing this multiple times, it seemed to come back. But same problem resurfaced a couple of hours later. No amount of cleaning the area, or leaving the case off completely could restore it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobiledirection.proximitysensorreset installed. I ran that, (though it is really designed to work on only the front proximity sensor) rebooted and it seems to have cleared it up, at least temporarily. This leads me to believe it is a setting, cache, whatever, not a hardware or lens-covered issue.

Anybody else?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Reading it appears to be the Laser Distance Sensor is not functioning.
Strange - from all the write-ups I was under the impression that Google ditched the laser distance sensor (from the Pixel 2 line) in favor of dual-pixel phase detection auto focus. I certainly can't find a reference to the laser distance sensor in any teardown that's been done.

sjcdal

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Strange - from all the write-ups I was under the impression that Google ditched the laser distance sensor (from the Pixel 2 line) in favor of dual-pixel phase detection auto focus. I certainly can't find a reference to the laser distance sensor in any teardown that's been done.

GSDer...looks like you are correct. After waiting 81 minutes on hold I finally reached a great support rep at FI. He had to go physically get a Pixel3 XL to figure out what the pinhole device was that I had thought was the laser distance sensor (I got that from the old description of a similar problem on the pixel 2). That sensor is the ambient light sensor...tiny hole between lens and flash.

Only other thing we tried was starting in safe mode..that did not correct the problem. So...new phone (he promised it would not be a refurb...they don't have any refurbs yet), will be on the way next week. Advance replacement. Rep also claimed replacement devices jump the line so hopefully Wed.

Two other things I questioned..."will this mess up my clock on the Buy One Get One Free deal that I had taken advantage of? " He had to go check on that but assured me it would not count as deactivating, even though they do trace that by serial number.

I also asked if it re-started the clock on being able to add device protection. No it does not. So out of time on adding that.