Reverse images using selfie

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So is this a glitch?

In my opinion no. Mirror is the way most selfie cams used to take photos. I think it's the way the image is captured. Some devices give you the option to reverse it back to normal. I think the trend is to normalize the photo in most current devices. I think it flips the image during processing. Why it's not set up that way in Playground mode I don't know. There's a lot of processing already going on in Playground mode but it shouldn't be that difficult to reverse the image. It can be done with a third party app.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Selfies that display mirrored in the final image are a huge pet peeve of mine. Not that I take many but I cringe every time I see it. I can understand the preview being mirrored so you can easily compose the shot, but that's the only reason for it. If you have a lot that need to be flipped due to this bug/feature, I recommend this app. It has a batch mode so you can mirror (found in the "Effect II" set of controls) a bunch of images at once.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iudesk.android.photo.editor

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
In my opinion no. Mirror is the way most selfie cams used to take photos. I think it's the way the image is captured. Some devices give you the option to reverse it back to normal. I think the trend is to normalize the photo in most current devices. I think it flips the image during processing. Why it's not set up that way in Playground mode I don't know. There's a lot of processing already going on in Playground mode but it shouldn't be that difficult to reverse the image. It can be done with a third party app.

Yeah but it should be built in the editing tool to revert it , don't like to add a 3rd party app to do this .

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Selfies that display mirrored in the final image are a huge pet peeve of mine. Not that I take many but I cringe every time I see it. I can understand the preview being mirrored so you can easily compose the shot, but that's the only reason for it. If you have a lot that need to be flipped due to this bug/feature, I recommend this app. It has a batch mode so you can mirror (found in the "Effect II" set of controls) a bunch of images at once.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iudesk.android.photo.editor

In this case it's only in playground mode. For normal selfies it's fine

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
Now to complete the circle. I received a brand new phone from Google in less than 23 hours. The new phone works as intended. When I take a selfie it does not show a mirror image. I'm extending kudos to Google for such superior technical support and customer service.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
This is an intriguing thread. I just now tested my Pixel 3 XL that I received on release day.

The on-screen image while composing a selfie is mirror image. Text is reversed.

The resulting picture is not a mirror image. Text is not reversed and is readable. This is the behavior I would expect.

How many reading this thread have made this test?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When I take a selfie it does not show a mirror image.
When you take a selfie IN PLAYGROUND MODE?
The logical conclusion is that everyone else in this thread that was able to reproduce the anomaly that you described should contact Google for a replacement device.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Is this setting not on Googles phones?
27a05200903231d08b0c18c1092dd652.jpg

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
When you take a selfie IN PLAYGROUND MODE?
The logical conclusion is that everyone else in this thread that was able to reproduce the anomaly that you described should contact Google for a replacement device.

Ah! I read through the threads and then when testing failed to do PLAYGROUND MODE. Thanks.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It obviously is a software issue. Not sure how a replacement will solve any problem unless the replacement runs the different software.

Here is a run down:
1. In both selfie mode and playground mode with front camera, the on screen display is always mirrored.
2. When you take one photo and save it then view it later, there is a difference: the saved photo from selfie mode will be reversed, not mirrored any more, so that any letters and words on your shirt will be easily readable. However, the saved photo from playground mode w/front camera will not be reversed, still mirrored.

Everyone's P3 should behave like this. Most are confused because they have not saved the photo yet, only looked at the on screen display.

I'd like know anyone's phone behaves differently, including OP's replacement. That will be something!

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
Ok, let me respond. Currently my new phone when in selfie mode the stored pictures show the proper image. However while in playground mode the stored image shows the mirror image. I have sent feedback to Google and hopefully this problem can be fixed in future iterations of the software.
It obviously is a software issue. Not sure how a replacement will solve any problem unless the replacement runs the different software.

Here is a run down:
1. In both selfie mode and playground mode with front camera, the on screen display is always mirrored.
2. When you take one photo and save it then view it later, there is a difference: the saved photo from selfie mode will be reversed, not mirrored any more, so that any letters and words on your shirt will be easily readable. However, the saved photo from playground mode w/front camera will not be reversed, still mirrored.

Everyone's P3 should behave like this. Most are confused because they have not saved the photo yet, only looked at the on screen display.

I'd like know anyone's phone behaves differently, including OP's replacement. That will be something!

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My biggest complaints for Playground feature are (1) very low resolution, only 1080p (2) none of the AI processing that made Pixel photo so famous was applied. The main picture is dull and often not very well rendered.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Now to complete the circle. I received a brand new phone from Google in less than 23 hours. The new phone works as intended. When I take a selfie it does not show a mirror image. I'm extending kudos to Google for such superior technical support and customer service.

Your original device did the same thing. It was the playground mode causing issues.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok, let me respond. Currently my new phone when in selfie mode the stored pictures show the proper image. However while in playground mode the stored image shows the mirror image. I have sent feedback to Google and hopefully this problem can be fixed in future iterations of the software.

I don't think there is nothing wrong with the software. I have a feeling it's because they are merging the AR images in at the same time it's saving making it difficult to flip.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm