Pixel 3 screen "exploded"

RockHead2020

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
As the title states.

tl;dr - Unlocked with fingerprint sensor and got an immediate strobe-like flash from the top left corner of the screen accompanied by an audible "click". The screen now has a "bleed" or "burn" mark about a third of the way down from that corner, and there is a metallic mark near where the flash emanated. (see pics)

20181206_155737.jpg

Yes, I know this looks like typical drop damage, but take a look at this "flattened-staple" mark under the glass.... this is where the flash came from:

20181206_170256.jpg

I searched this for a couple of days to no avail, so I decided to join/post here. I apologize for any n00b misnomers or lack of tech IQ, but I am not a superuser or even a hardcore enthusiast. I'm just hoping for an explanation.

The long version:

I pre-ordered a Pixel 3 from Fi and had it running within a week of the release. Everything seemed ok. It exhibited the screen flash glitch when unplugging it from the charger, but I had none of the memory, disappearing text, or other issues that were being reported.

I know what it looks like, but this is NOT drop damage. I've been totally paranoid about an $800 phone for the last month and have been holding it with two hands. I haven't so much as put this phone in my pocket with a key fob, much less dropped it or even bumped it.

It was literally sitting on my desk, the always-on screen displaying the time, not charging, not plugged in. It had about 10 hours since the last full charge. I got a notification and picked it up for a look. There was a flash and a click the very instant I touched the fingerprint sensor. The flash was bright enough for a coworker sitting across the room from me to ask "What was that?" The black blob formed in less than one second as the rest of the screen got green and fuzzy. You know that sick feeling you get when you realize how screwed you are??

As I poked at the screen and tried to understand what had just happened, the phone was starting to get warm in my hand. While it may have been my blood pressure, I honestly think the phone was cooking. The screen was unresponsive, so I pressed/held the power button. That seemed to restart it. At this point I had the presence of mind to take a picture of it, then did some combination of power button, fingerprint sensor, and maybe got lucky with the screen, but I was able to power it down after about two minutes.

The picture with the screen off shows the "flattened-staple" shaped mark below the glass. This is the spot that the flash appeared.
Personally, I think this is a popped SMD LED. You can see that while it near the corner of the screen, there is no crack and not a single mark on the bezel. This phone was truly handled like a baby bird for its short life.

Is this a "thing" with any of these displays? Could it be? Do I have an alternate "Tyler Durden" personality that is staying up all night and throwing the phone around?

For now, the replacement is on the way from Google Fi. I have to send the dead one back for a post-mortem, and I'm praying they don't try tell me it's drop damage. I'll keep the thread updated if needed, but I'd also appreciate any thoughts.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I'd take the best photos you can of every side of the device so you've got proof it was in excellent shape when sent in. Sounds like an electrical short, there shouldn't be any problems getting it replaced, but best to be safe in case they dispute it.

RockHead2020

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
I'd take the best photos you can of every side of the device so you've got proof it was in excellent shape when sent in. Sounds like an electrical short, there shouldn't be any problems getting it replaced, but best to be safe in case they dispute it.

Excellent advice, I took like 5 pictures of the screen but none of the back/sides.... doing that as soon as I get off work today, thanks!

RockHead2020

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
I took a bunch of pics... here's a better view.

The replacement is due tomorrow. I wrote out a note basically telling the story above and stuffed it in with the phone. We'll see.....

Attachments

• 20181209_152738.jpg
    20181209_152738.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 118

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
looks like the digitizer shorted out, I've seen that with phones not water resistant happen. Was the phone submerged in water?

RockHead2020

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
looks like the digitizer shorted out, I've seen that with phones not water resistant happen. Was the phone submerged in water?

Nope. The only time it was wet was when I applied the screen protector. Besides, this phone is billed as waterproof, though I wouldn't want to find out.

The replacement came this morning. It certainly appears new, and the transfer process could not have been easier. It took less than an hour from opening the box to the second restart, and all my apps and settings are back. A few passwords later and it was like nothing happened.

I packed up the dead one and sent it back a little while ago, and I see the "temporary" charge on my credit card. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope. The only time it was wet was when I applied the screen protector. Besides, this phone is billed as waterproof, though I wouldn't want to find out.<snip>

The phone IS NOT (!!!) billed as “waterPROOF” !!!
It’s only water resistant under controlled conditions

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Nope. The only time it was wet was when I applied the screen protector. Besides, this phone is billed as waterproof, though I wouldn't want to find out.

The replacement came this morning. It certainly appears new, and the transfer process could not have been easier. It took less than an hour from opening the box to the second restart, and all my apps and settings are back. A few passwords later and it was like nothing happened.

I packed up the dead one and sent it back a little while ago, and I see the "temporary" charge on my credit card. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Like to see what they find with this ..

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Interesting... Hopefully all goes well and they credit you back after getting the device back.

We will likely never know what really cause this if it is a one time thing.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Interesting... Hopefully all goes well and they credit you back after getting the device back.

We will likely never know what really cause this if it is a one time thing.

It's only a temporary hold....they don't charge unless there is a problem

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yea, as long as they confirm that it is covered and not from a drop. :)

I am sure it will be, just sending my good karma the OPs way.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yea, as long as they confirm that it is covered and not from a drop. :)

I am sure it will be, just sending my good karma the OPs way.

Understood....what I was trying to convey is that it's only a temporary hold....so sometimes it actually comes off your account before you even send it back as opposed to having that amount unavailable until they receive it and confirm.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Understood....what I was trying to convey is that it's only a temporary hold....so sometimes it actually comes off your account before you even send it back as opposed to having that amount unavailable until they receive it and confirm.

That's why when I returned mine I sent it first that way if any issues I can have the upper hand and say either charge my card or return it back .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith