12-26-2018 07:04 AM
26 12
tools
    Since the Dec 5th update I have noticed that my Pixel 3 drops about 12% in the 8 hrs, compared to about 8% prior to updating, while I sleep and the phone is in stand by mode.

I have adaptive battery on and dark mode on. I do have always on display on as I use it as my clock.

Anybody else notice this and any input on how else I may minimize it? Thanks.
    Coop61 likes this.
    12-09-2018 08:40 AM
    One of the fix in December update is tune down the agressiveness of the memory management so that some apps can stay running in the background. Of course, that will add extra battery drain if you happen to have those apps installed.
    12-09-2018 09:57 AM
    It you close the apps (Back button) instead of leaving hem all running (Home button), Android manages battery a lot better.
    12-09-2018 01:39 PM
    From the reports I am seeing on Reddit most are seeing better performance -- nothing much of battery life there.
    12-10-2018 12:19 AM
    12-10-2018 06:21 AM
    No change here either. I have seen the improvement on the RAM side though, opening Snapchat doesnt take a year or crash anymore.
    12-10-2018 11:01 AM
    Been similar battery life for me as well, not noticing any additional drain.
    12-10-2018 11:43 AM
    Out of curiosity, because it happens with my past Samsung phones that I've had in the past and thought it would be different with the Pixel, but does your battery, after being charged overnight, go from 100% down to 97% in about 2-3 minutes after being unplugged and using it? By the time I go out of the door to go to work, I am usually at 93%. Is this normal?
    12-10-2018 02:12 PM
    Out of curiosity, because it happens with my past Samsung phones that I've had in the past and thought it would be different with the Pixel, but does your battery, after being charged overnight, go from 100% down to 97% in about 2-3 minutes after being unplugged and using it? By the time I go out of the door to go to work, I am usually at 93%. Is this normal?
    Yes! Those first few percentage points go quick and then the battery drops more or less linearly. It's weird. Different from my old phones (iPhones).
    12-10-2018 03:25 PM
    Yes! Those first few percentage points go quick and then the battery drops more or less linearly. It's weird. Different from my old phones (iPhones).
    Ah ok. Yes, that is what I've been noticing. Drop quickly, then drops less as hours go by. I assumed it was just a Samsung thing, but I guess it's an android because I never had that problem with my iphone a few years back.

Thanks for your reply.
    12-10-2018 03:42 PM
    From the reports I am seeing on Reddit most are seeing better performance -- nothing much of battery life there.
    I think this my case. It seems to be slightly improved, but not enough to be record breaking or anything.
    12-10-2018 05:44 PM
    Happens with all my andriod but 93% usually after phone been around 2 hours after fully charged and 1 hour sot
    12-10-2018 10:49 PM
    Since the Dec 5th update I have noticed that my Pixel 3 drops about 12% in the 8 hrs, compared to about 8% prior to updating, while I sleep and the phone is in stand by mode.

I have adaptive battery on and dark mode on. I do have always on display on as I use it as my clock.

Anybody else notice this and any input on how else I may minimize it? Thanks.
    I've had the same problem on my 3XL, seemingly worse, though. Since the update, I drop ~7% an hour with just moderate use. I don't know what it was before, but certainly nothing even approaching that kind of drain. I have adaptive battery on, and the phone reports "apps are running normally / phone has typical background battery usage."

I was hoping the phone would "settle" after the update, but that doesn't appear to be happening. Normally, if I have a battery drain problem after an update, I'll factory reset the phone. But this phone is less than two months old! I don't suppose I have any other choice though.
    12-14-2018 09:10 AM
    But doesn't the last few percentages take forever to fully charge, so shouldn't the phone last awhile at 100%? I've been noticing this in my Pixel 3 XL too.
    12-19-2018 03:01 PM
    Yep, keep those updates coming Google. I don't think the closing background apps issue has been 100% fixed either. I had my music player app (Rocket player) closed down by the system recently and it was the only app I was running at the time!
    12-19-2018 03:42 PM
    Yep, keep those updates coming Google. I don't think the closing background apps issue has been 100% fixed either. I had my music player app (Rocket player) closed down by the system recently and it was the only app I was running at the time!
    Was it running in the background or did it should down while you were using it?
    12-19-2018 05:18 PM
    Was it running in the background or did it should down while you were using it?
    While I was using it. Rudely interrupted in the midst of enjoying a fine tune I might add.
    12-19-2018 06:29 PM
    Mine seems a little worse on battery drain after the update.
    12-19-2018 10:50 PM
    While I was using it. Rudely interrupted in the midst of enjoying a fine tune I might add.
    If it was the only app running and it shut down it might be an app issue.
    12-20-2018 08:46 AM
    If it was the only app running and it shut down it might be an app issue.
    The reason I though so was the app itself warned me the system was shutting it down, and I needed to change certain settings from preventing that from happening again. So the problem seemed to be coming from the OS.
    12-20-2018 09:20 AM
    The reason I though so was the app itself warned me the system was shutting it down, and I needed to change certain settings from preventing that from happening again. So the problem seemed to be coming from the OS.
    Right.... But it may related to the app itself. I'll try the app and get back to you
    12-20-2018 05:25 PM
    Mine is about the same, but I will say I'm not getting as much battery life out of the 3XL as I did the 2XL. Seem to be getting overall one hour less screen time.

Same apps, same usage.
    12-20-2018 05:39 PM
    I don't know how long it takes to crash but I ran Rocket for 45 minutes with no issues. I even tried taking pictures with it running along with other apps to see if I could break. The original Pixel issue was music players crashing while using the camera.

Could be some other third-party apps running in the background causing some conflicts. you might try uninstalling and reinstalling the app if you haven't already done so and see if that helps
    12-20-2018 06:09 PM
    I don't know how long it takes to crash but I ran Rocket for 45 minutes with no issues. I even tried taking pictures with it running along with other apps to see if I could break. The original Pixel issue was music players crashing while using the camera.

Could be some other third-party apps running in the background causing some conflicts. you might try uninstalling and reinstalling the app if you haven't already done so and see if that helps
    Thanks for trying! I haven't been able to replicate the issue either, so who knows. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.
    12-20-2018 07:12 PM
    My battery just started draining a lot... I had all radios off besides data.. but had data saver and battery saver on today.. it dropped quite quickly.
    12-24-2018 03:15 AM
26 12