Separate phone ringtone and notification volume?

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Coming from a Samsung, I was baffled to see that the pixel does not separate ringtones and notification tones. At work I don't want my notification tones to be so loud where it bothers my coworker, yet I need my ring volume to be up so I can hear my work calls.

Has anyone found a good app that can separate the 2? Or, do we just deal with it not being separated?

Thanks

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Long=press the volume button, then tap the gear that shows, and you'll get all 4 volume controls.

They are referring to separate notification and ringtone. I believe only Samsung and LG have that. It was removed from Android around Lollipop.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I found a kinda of work around
in do not disturb if you long press it from notification drop down...

keep do not disturb on and turn notification volume off while still seeing notification come in and set your phone to accept all calls or modify to your liking.

dbrii

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone found a good app that can separate the 2? Or, do we just deal with it not being separated?

Thanks

Try Sound Profile. I have been using the app for years with previous Android devices. Works great with my Pixel 3. Developer is great. Have contacted her in the past with small bugs and she's always been quick to respond and fix.

You can setup multiple sound profiles and within each you can separately set volume for notifications, ring, alarm and media. Cannot recommend enough.

Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=Orion.Soft

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Maybe someone can explain why this would even need to be a separated feature? I don't understand what circumstances would make this type of separation even effective or relevant.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I found a kinda of work around
in do not disturb if you long press it from notification drop down...

keep do not disturb on and turn notification volume off while still seeing notification come in and set your phone to accept all calls or modify to your liking.

This is a very clever solution, as the OP's concern really is a Notifications do not disturb issue. You could also set this up as an Automatic rule to start/stop during work hours.

dbrii

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Maybe someone can explain why this would even need to be a separated feature? I don't understand what circumstances would make this type of separation even effective or relevant.
Here's one way I utilize Sound Profile: I have a profile designed for when I am sleeping that silences all notification sounds but allows the phone to ring, but only from my family (an extra feature that can be setup). I rarely receive a call overnight but if I do it's probably important, especially with kids in college. Emails or whatever can wait until morning.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is a very clever solution, as the OP's concern really is a Notifications do not disturb issue. You could also set this up as an Automatic rule to start/stop during work hours.

Thank you , guess he hasn't looked in this thread yet to try .

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

This is why I would like the feature:

I am in my office - I get notifications/text messages. I want to hear my notifications, but at a low volume as to not bother my co-workers who are in the same office as me. I still want to hear notifications.

I need my ringer volume up a bit higher because when I am outs and abouts and in my pocket, I need to hear my phone ring since my work phone is being forwarded to my cell. If i set the volume to be low, it thus sets the ringtone to be low and I sometimes do not hear it. In contrast, if I set the volume high so I hear the ringtone, but then that makes notifications high as well.

Separating them would give me more customization. So on the flip side, I don't understand the circumstance to have them both together?

Thanks

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Try Sound Profile. I have been using the app for years with previous Android devices. Works great with my Pixel 3. Developer is great. Have contacted her in the past with small bugs and she's always been quick to respond and fix.

You can setup multiple sound profiles and within each you can separately set volume for notifications, ring, alarm and media. Cannot recommend enough.

Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=Orion.Soft

Giving that a try now. It does separate both for me and I can make a work profile. Thanks for this suggested app.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
This is why I would like the feature:

I am in my office - I get notifications/text messages. I want to hear my notifications, but at a low volume as to not bother my co-workers who are in the same office as me. I still want to hear notifications.

I need my ringer volume up a bit higher because when I am outs and abouts and in my pocket, I need to hear my phone ring since my work phone is being forwarded to my cell. If i set the volume to be low, it thus sets the ringtone to be low and I sometimes do not hear it. In contrast, if I set the volume high so I hear the ringtone, but then that makes notifications high as well.

Separating them would give me more customization. So on the flip side, I don't understand the circumstance to have them both together?

Thanks

Oh okay. I see what you're saying. I guess for me, it breaks down to whether or not I want to be disturbed. All alerts are in the same category to me, so DND on/off seems to hit my use case.