App stucks and pressing home button does nothing

lcneed

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
Has this happened to anyone? This morning I was listening to audiobook on Scribd app just like every other day, but when I got to work, the app screen stuck. Pressing the home bar does nothing. Sliding the home button up normally would get me to the apps but this time it did nothing. I could slide it down to get to the Google Assistance. So I thought I could just power it off or restart. Holding the power button does not bring up the option to power down or restart; nothing came up.

So then I brought up GA and asked to "Go to Homescreen". And it told me to go to Homescreen, press the home button! LOL. So I went again to GA and ask "Go to Settings" and it did went into the Settings screen. I choosed App and Force Stopped Scribd app. But when I exited the Settings screen, Scribd app was still stuck on my screen as if it replaced the home screen or something. But this time I could press and hold the power button and it did brought up the options, so I restarted the phone. And everything was back to normal.

I got stuck before on my old phone LG G4, but I could pull the battery. It scared me a bit when the power button didn't response on the Pixel 3 XL as you can't pull the battery out.

lcneed

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
I must not have the timing of that correct because I just get a screenshot.

After taking a few screenshots myself, I think I figured it out. Have to hold the vol down button first, then hold the power button. I got some red warning system type messages and it rebooted.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Didn't think about the screenshot key combo. I did it by holding volume first and then power, as Icneed stated. This does have to be held for about 10 to 15 seconds.

lcneed

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
Can't you also hold the power button down for 20 or so seconds and it'll shut down?

If the phone is acting normally yes. But in the OP, it was not. The app seems to be stuck and holding the power button does nothing. Now I don't know if the vol down + power will do that trick if the app is stuck again, but at least I know how to do it now!

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
If the phone is acting normally yes. But in the OP, it was not. The app seems to be stuck and holding the power button does nothing. Now I don't know if the vol down + power will do that trick if the app is stuck again, but at least I know how to do it now!
Holding power button down will turn off the device whether or not apps are behaving correctly. It is the equivalent of a battery pull.

The only reason the device powers off with the volume button down is because you are holding the power button lol

lcneed

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
Holding power button down will turn off the device whether or not apps are behaving correctly. It is the equivalent of a battery pull.

The only reason the device powers off with the volume button down is because you are holding the power button lol

If you read the original post above, that's the first thing I tried when Scribd app stucked. In that case, holding the power button does nothing. I hold it for more than 20 sec and the menu for Power Down, Restart, etc.. did not pop up. But in the above case, I was able to use Google Assistance voice command to go to Settings and kill the app. But I have cases before that a runaway app will freeze the device entirely. With the old phone I could pull the battery (and nothing is equivalent of a battery pull... you could simulate a battery pull but without actually ejecting the power source, you need to have the OS recognizes the buttons presses and take action).

Also keep holding the Power Button will not reboot the Pixel 3. If the Pixel 3 is acting normally, it will just bring up the Menu (Power Off, Restart, Screenshot). You have to press one of the 3 to do something. But if you hold the vol down and then hold the power button, it will trigger a bunch of kernel system messages on the screen and reboot. Try it!

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
  • I can't speak to the pixel 3 because I haven't had any issues, but on my pixel when my entire phone was frozen, holding the power button shut down the device. A soft reset is the equivalent of a battery pull. They both do the exact same thing.
  • If you hold the power button for 15 seconds, the device will restart. Ignore the menu popup and be patient.

Here is instructions for reseting a frozen pixel. Notice it says to continue holding the power button until the device cycles. Meaning it might take longer than 15-20 seconds since the device is in a messed up state.

Pixel™, Phone by Google - Soft Reset (Frozen / Unresponsive Screen)
View this info if your device is unresponsive, frozen or won't power on or off.

Note Notes:

A soft reset (turning the device off then back on) is similar to restarting a desktop computer and is one of the first steps in troubleshooting a device.
In most cases, a soft reset won't affect data on the device, unless the battery is very low.
Press and hold the Power button (on the right edge).
Device with emphasis on Power button
Tap Power off.
Note If the device is unresponsive/frozen, press and hold the Power button for approximately 10 seconds or until the device power cycles.

Last edited:

lcneed

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
Ah it does work. I counted to 12 sec this time and it did restarted. Maybe when the app froze before, I didn't waited long enough because I was expecting the menu to come up. Or it could be that when app is stuck holding power button doesn't work? But holding the vol down and then power button down will restart it in about 2 seconds with funny system messages on screen. Probably more like a pulled battery.. not graceful restart.

Now I have 2 ways to try next time. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech