Pixel 3 DxOMark 101 ..??

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
There is no way the Pixel 3 is scored the same as the iPhone XR. I had the iPhone XR and the pictures were nowhere near the amazing quality of the Pixel 3 XL. DxOMark has jump the shark, it seems. Let's make them not a thing anymore.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
just curious , can anyone tell me how much of a difference is the iPhone x camera vs iPhone xs or max ?

Last edited:

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There is no way the Pixel 3 is scored the same as the iPhone XR. I had the iPhone XR and the pictures were nowhere near the amazing quality of the Pixel 3 XL. DxOMark has jump the shark, it seems. Let's make them not a thing anymore.
It's all subjective, anyway it's widely regarded that Pixel 3 is the best camera for photos by many experts, tech bloggers and even from my experience it's better than Xs Max or anything Samsung puts out. These scores don't change a thing

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
There is no way the Pixel 3 is scored the same as the iPhone XR. I had the iPhone XR and the pictures were nowhere near the amazing quality of the Pixel 3 XL.

DXOMark is supposed to be independent, but considering how long it took to get the review of the Pixel 3 out (which was on sale PRIOR to the iPhone XR but somehow the iPhone XR had a DXOMark score 2 weeks before the Pixel 3) I'm of the opinion that DxO was paid off by some entity to hold back the Pixel 3 score. If you consider that, it's possible the score was also handicapped in some manner.

Just look at the headline posted by DxO regarding the iPhone XR, touting it as the best single-lens phone camera. Don't get me wrong, it was the best one in that category, of the ones they had tested to that point in time (or at least released the results of the testing for).

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
It's all subjective, anyway it's widely regarded that Pixel 3 is the best camera for photos by many experts, tech bloggers and even from my experience it's better than Xs Max or anything Samsung puts out. These scores don't change a thing

Which goes to show you DxOMark scores are crap. Tech blogs need to stop making them a thing. MKBHD put out a video a year ago talking about how DxOMark scores are pretty much crap anyways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgeJ0XYuI2E

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
...but they're not. They also consult with certain manufacturers to help them get better camera scores. See the video I posted above.

I've followed camera blogs for years. None of them believe the DXO Mark score total score either, but they all report it. At the end of the day, like most things, it is a piece of information that can be used in a making a decision, but should not be the only piece of info used. The video give good advice on how to use the score even more effectively.

As for the testing, I believe they do the best they can. They are image experts. While I don't like their editing software, they have put their know how to other uses as well.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
good video , and good point guys
I've Always said these camera a closer now just some are better at something then the other . you can take one phone it does better at low light or videos only thing will wow you is if your coming from a 4 or 5 year old phone.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I dunno man, I was at a Christmas lights exhibit and iPhone users were using their flash to take selfies but my wife and I use Pixel 3s. Basically, there's no comparison in a low light situation. iPhones take bad shots of people with awkward flashes and grainy quality. Pixel 3 simply blows away everyone in low light.

I have never cared for dxomark and most phone cameras are amazing now. What differentiates Pixel phone is the under the hood processing.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
...but it's a piece of nonsense information. It's the same as/no different than fake news posted on Facebook or Twitter.

I disagree. I enjoy their detailed write ups and sample shots of the same scene using a few phones. Sure the final score should be taken with a grain of salt since some of this stuff is subjective but there is plenty of good info in their reviews to help one make their own informed decision.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

So far in my brief experience with the Pixel 3 the best picture I've taken with it is nowhere near as good as the best picture I've taken with my S8+. When I have some time and inclination I'll try some side by side comparisons.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
So far in my brief experience with the Pixel 3 the best picture I've taken with it is nowhere near as good as the best picture I've taken with my S8+. When I have some time and inclination I'll try some side by side comparisons.
Everybody's experience is different. In my personal experience with lots of these flagship phones, Pixel easily excels every other flagship in capturing light, depth and objects effectively in not so bright (not using low here) light conditions and excels in low light conditions. Pixel also does not stutter or lose focus when you use Portrait mode in those conditions. You really don't need to be an expert to determine this - just capture and you will see the result right away.

Samsung S9+ has a slight advantage with it's variable aperture but still it cannot stand against NightSight with Pixel.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the S9+ and Xs Max along with Pixel 3 XL. And S9+ is the least preferred for me over Pixel 3 XL and Xs Max in terms of camera. Had the S8+ last year as well and overall not close to Pixel 3 or many other recent phones in my experience and opinion. Obviously it's all subjective and everyone got to use what works for them.

lcneed

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
I think it is an excellent score considering that it does not consider the night sight mode. I know some of you kept saying the Pixel 3 is better than iPhone XS or Samsung Note 9 on low night, but I think you need to use night sight mode.

On DXOMARK: "It is important to note that we test all smartphones using only their default settings, so we did not consider the image results from the Pixel 3’s Night Sight mode in our DxOMark scores."

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think it is an excellent score considering that it does not consider the night sight mode. I know some of you kept saying the Pixel 3 is better than iPhone XS or Samsung Note 9 on low night, but I think you need to use night sight mode.

On DXOMARK: "It is important to note that we test all smartphones using only their default settings, so we did not consider the image results from the Pixel 3’s Night Sight mode in our DxOMark scores."

But isn't one of the marks that seems to make DxO flawed? I mean, shouldn't all devices be tested at "full strength" to determine their capabilities?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Even with default settings Pixel blows away, say the freaking iPhone XR/MAX in not so bright or low light conditions!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173