I've followed all the instructions on adding captions to photos. I got as far as entering the description of the photo, but I don't find anyway to make the entry show in the photo. What am I missing? Thanks
    12-26-2018 11:54 AM
    You are wanting actual writing to show on the photo itself? If so, I have not seen that feature in the stock camera app.

I use SnapSeed whenever I needed text on the actual photo (engineering descriptions, etc.)
    12-26-2018 03:03 PM
    I've followed all the instructions on adding captions to photos. I got as far as entering the description of the photo, but I don't find anyway to make the entry show in the photo. What am I missing? Thanks
    What instructions? We can't help you with something you read when you don't say what it is -- You could have read anything.
    12-26-2018 03:11 PM
    There's a bazillion apps in the Google Play Store that will allow you to add text to your pictures, however that's not something you can do from the stock Camera or Photos applications.
    That Description that you're adding is only for your own use; adding notes about who is in a picture, or where it was taken or why it's important.
    12-26-2018 03:16 PM
    There's a bazillion apps in the Google Play Store that will allow you to add text to your pictures, however that's not something you can do from the stock Camera or Photos applications.
    That Description that you're adding is only for your own use; adding notes about who is in a picture, or where it was taken or why it's important.
    I guess that the Pixel 3 instructions where there is a instruction to turn CAPTIONS ON with follow up instructions is a mistake. Sorry.
    12-26-2018 05:57 PM
    When I go to the Pixel 3 Google support page, this is the only result that comes up for "Captions":

https://support.google.com/accessibi.../6006554?hl=en

It refers to closed captioning, for certain apps that can do CC.

I can't for the life of me find a "manual" for a Pixel 3 - you'd think Google would push something like that to the top of search results if one actually existed.

OP- What/where exactly is the place you are getting your information from?
    12-27-2018 04:06 PM
    When I go to the Pixel 3 Google support page, this is the only result that comes up for "Captions":

https://support.google.com/accessibi.../6006554?hl=en

It refers to closed captioning, for certain apps that can do CC.

I can't for the life of me find a "manual" for a Pixel 3 - you'd think Google would push something like that to the top of search results if one actually existed.

OP- What/where exactly is the place you are getting your information from?
    Your post is the most useful I've seen. I assume that CC you mentioned means CLOSED CAPTIONS. Something is not working. But thanks for the help anyway. I'm going to try CHAT to see if I can get a good answer. I'll let you know if I hear anything worthwhile.
    12-28-2018 07:32 AM
    The chat session was over 1 hour and did not produce a meaningful result. They first mentioned that captions were for videos then they moved way off the subject. It was a total waste of time.
    12-28-2018 08:46 AM
    Do you mean these instructions?

How to add a custom description to pictures in Google Photos https://www.androidcentral.com/how-a...-google-photos
    12-28-2018 09:10 AM
    I'm going to swing one more time...

1] The "caption" setting you are referring to is to turn on or off CLOSED CAPTIONING on videos, games, or whatever media has CLOSED CAPTIONING embedded in it. (Same as CLOSED CAPTIONING on a television set)

2] It is NOT to put words onto picture you take, or pictures that you download, or save, or acquire in any other manner.

3] If you want to put words onto static pictures, you need to use a third party app (like SnapSeed) to perform that function.

4] When you go to your Pixel 3 settings and are seeing the options for "captioning" (font's. colors, etc.) - that is just to show how CLOSED CAPTIONING on videos would look if it is enabled.

There is no part of Pixel 3 / Pie 9.0 that has the ability to write words onto pictures.

Now lock this sucker up...
    12-28-2018 03:29 PM
    Actually, you can add text to a photo. Adding text is available in the Playground. When you have the camera open, click MORE and then select Playground. It's not the easiest to use but it includes adding other figures to the picture.
    12-28-2018 03:42 PM
    12-28-2018 11:53 PM
    I'm going to swing one more time...

1] The "caption" setting you are referring to is to turn on or off CLOSED CAPTIONING on videos, games, or whatever media has CLOSED CAPTIONING embedded in it. (Same as CLOSED CAPTIONING on a television set)

2] It is NOT to put words onto picture you take, or pictures that you download, or save, or acquire in any other manner.

3] If you want to put words onto static pictures, you need to use a third party app (like SnapSeed) to perform that function.

4] When you go to your Pixel 3 settings and are seeing the options for "captioning" (font's. colors, etc.) - that is just to show how CLOSED CAPTIONING on videos would look if it is enabled.

There is no part of Pixel 3 / Pie 9.0 that has the ability to write words onto pictures.

Now lock this sucker up...
    OK, I got it. I'm usually not that dense, but the Pixel 3 instructions about Captions threw me for a loop. I got it. Thanks for clearing it up.
    12-29-2018 07:27 AM
    Actually, you can add text to a photo. Adding text is available in the Playground. When you have the camera open, click MORE and then select Playground. It's not the easiest to use but it includes adding other figures to the picture.
    When I have the time I'll look into the Playground suggestion. I don't have the Playground option showing under MORE. Thanks for the suggestion.
    12-29-2018 07:31 AM
    When I have the time I'll look into the Playground suggestion. I don't have the Playground option showing under MORE. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I don't either.

Night Sight - Photo Sphere - Photobooth - Slow Motion - Lens - Settings

6.1.021.220943556 version
    12-29-2018 08:55 AM
    Google has separated Playground feature out as a separate app download recently. You will have to down load that app, forgot the app name, to have it show up in camera app.

Anyway, playground feature produces extremely low resolution photos, 1920x1080 and around 300kb in size. Kinds of useless for normal photos.
    billchat likes this.
    12-29-2018 09:07 AM
    Google has separated Playground feature out as a separate app download recently. You will have to down load that app, forgot the app name, to have it show up in camera app.

Anyway, playground feature produces extremely low resolution photos, 1920x1080 and around 300kb in size. Kinds of useless for normal photos.
    OK, thanks.
    12-29-2018 11:00 AM