Google Photos is using a lot of battery and backing up slowly on Pixel 3

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
For some reason my gphotos is taking forever to backup. I think it's the cause of my huge battery drain lately. Last night I saw I had 900 photos/videos ready to backup. Apparently it stopped backing up for me for awhile... It's also very slow... I have 34 left.. but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue? I would restart my phone but I don't want to lose any pics that haven't backed up... Meanwhile, I can't "free up space" though most of them supposedly backed up so far... Super weird and I've never had this problem before.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Uploading lots of media to the cloud will strain your battery for sure, especially if using LTE. Were those 900 photos recently taken or from weeks ago? Are your settings to only upload via WiFi? Have you been connected to WiFi lately? I am pretty confident that photos app is smart enough to resume backup if you restart device during a backup.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Apparently it stopped backing up for me for awhile.
The problem I've noticed in the last couple of months is that Google Photos is not automatically backing up pictures in the background when I have a Wi-Fi connection (I have cellular backup turned off): I have to open the Photos app and THEN it starts the backup.
I can be home using Wi-Fi, snap a bunch of pictures (of the cats) and an hour later I'll open the Photos app and it'll start the backup.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I meant to factory reset.. I don't want to do that.

My settings are for wife or cellular.. but for some reason. It stopped over the last few weeks for some reason. I have no idea why. It's at 27 left.. it's so slow whether it's wifi or data.. and it's been annoying.

lcneed

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
I meant to factory reset.. I don't want to do that.

My settings are for wife or cellular.. but for some reason. It stopped over the last few weeks for some reason. I have no idea why. It's at 27 left.. it's so slow whether it's wifi or data.. and it's been annoying.

The slow part is probably because it is backing up videos? I have seen Google Photos app stuck like yours before but always on an iPhone. We backup all our iPhones' photos to Google Photos too.

You may want to double check your Google Photos app is signed into the correct google account. Maybe you accidentally signed into a different one that the phone is backing up ALL photos to a new account.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The slow part is probably because it is backing up videos? I have seen Google Photos app stuck like yours before but always on an iPhone. We backup all our iPhones' photos to Google Photos too.

You may want to double check your Google Photos app is signed into the correct google account. Maybe you accidentally signed into a different one that the phone is backing up ALL photos to a new account.
Yeah it's on the right one.. it just stopped working for some reason.. my battery has been dying quick over the last two weeks and I just saw this last night because some of my photos were unaccessible through my pixelbook. It's pretty annoying. But we'll see if it fixes itself.

lcneed

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
Yeah it's on the right one.. it just stopped working for some reason.. my battery has been dying quick over the last two weeks and I just saw this last night because some of my photos were unaccessible through my pixelbook. It's pretty annoying. But we'll see if it fixes itself.

Also check to see if one of the photo is RAW. I remember trying to backup a RAW photo to the "free" HD Google Photo settings and it just kept trying and trying and never finished.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Also check to see if one of the photo is RAW. I remember trying to backup a RAW photo to the "free" HD Google Photo settings and it just kept trying and trying and never finished.
I'll check it out. Thanks. I don't have the raw folder to be backed up, but I'll check it out.. it's just spinning..
2922942df1078b3fb94f6f2f7f1f19fc.jpg

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I found Google photos app to be extremely slow whenever it encounters a large video file. And there is no options to tell it not to backup videos.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
if it keeps happening try to clear cache and data from the app, then force close it and restart the app. It happened to me on a couple of occasions, although I dont take many pics or video, but resetting the app seemed to fix it.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
if it keeps happening try to clear cache and data from the app, then force close it and restart the app. It happened to me on a couple of occasions, although I dont take many pics or video, but resetting the app seemed to fix it.
Tried that back when the issue was bad and that didn't help at all. Super weird bug. But now it seems fine, like it fixed itself.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante