How do I change a font setting on the Pixel 3?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Except Samsung did change Android central app which is not Google or Samsung app , but I don't think they can change web view .

Since you can change the font of only the Android Central forums app and not the web site, it would be interesting to know what the forums app is based on. I would doubt that Android Central wrote their forums app from scratch. My guess would be that it is Google based since you can change the font.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I just checked Facebook and Instagram and Samsung can change those also.

Edit : and some of my banking apps

I would guess that these would be Samsung versions of these apps and that would explain why. Are these apps included with a newly purchased Samsung phone?

I would wonder if the banking apps are rewritten by Samsung to run on Samsung?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I would guess that these would be Samsung versions of these apps and that would explain why. Are these apps included with a newly purchased Samsung phone?

I would wonder if the banking apps are rewritten by Samsung to run on Samsung?

They came from Google play store.
Like my Wells Fargo doesn't change but my bank of America does . But like I said Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Android central are play store apps . But these apps don't come pre install on Samsung .

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
They came from Google play store.
Like my Wells Fargo doesn't change but my bank of America does . But like I said Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Android central are play store apps . But these apps don't come pre install on Samsung .

OK. Even though apps are available on the app store, they can certainly be specific to a phone brand and even limit themselves to versions of a phone. These apps could also look to see if they are running on Samsung, and if they are, they can allow font changes.

Could the Original Poster identify what sports app/website he used as an example? It would be easy enough to see if your Samsung could change the font. If it can and he needs that option, then he could change to a Samsung phone.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Don't the fonts on the Play Store work on a Pixel? Although those can be a quagmire of font apps with lots of unnecessary permissions.

lcneed

Dec 8, 2018
Visit site
Both my Samsung and LG phones support Font Style change on their native launchers. I don't think Google stock Android launcher supported that. You have to either change to a different launcher, or try to find a 3rd party font app that would work with Android stock launcher.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Don't the fonts on the Play Store work on a Pixel? Although those can be a quagmire of font apps with lots of unnecessary permissions.

To be honest I never tried changing the settings on any of my phones, but I dont know if any that are available in play store would work with the pixel .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The ones on the Play Store don't work on phones with Samsung Experience (they used to work on TouchWiz).

I'm on the beta one UI , while I was checking earlier on the font and try adding some it took me to galaxy app store so if you like changing them maybe try there.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the beta one UI , while I was checking earlier on the font and try adding some it took me to galaxy app store so if you like changing them maybe try there.
Yeah I know. I've bought fonts there already. I'm just saying that's why I don't know if the ones on the Play Store still work.

Joel Lynch

Dec 27, 2018
Visit site
I don't disagree with you. My frustration is due to the fact that my visual impairment makes it difficult for me to read these weird fonts. Being unable to change them diminishes my productivity on my phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Every single example you used showed either an operating system font or a Google or Samsung app font. You didn't show me changing the font of a web site or sports app like the OP was asking for. It looked like he was showing us a sports web page.

Show me changing the font of an entire Amazon web page. You cannot do it. :)
You can't on phones, but I normally do on Firefox, viewing one site I don't like the font on in Arial. It not a system font, it's a program font. (Besides, hasn't anyone heard of "serif for printed text, sans-serif for screens"? That's so old it's got whiskers.

it would be interesting to know what the forums app is based on. I would doubt that Android Central wrote their forums app from scratch.
I believe Tap-a-Talk, but I could be wrong.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't disagree with you. My frustration is due to the fact that my visual impairment makes it difficult for me to read these weird fonts. Being unable to change them diminishes my productivity on my phone.

Joel, did you try messing around with some of the options here...

Settings > Accessibility > Display

There are options there that are designed to help the visually impaired. They allow changes in size and color and maybe that could be helpful?

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

I may be wrong but it looks like the problem font you reference may be in an image, is not text. Sometimes things that appear as header text and/or site style text are actually image files (e.g. .jpg) and, of course, there's no way to alter text in an mage.

Also, too, if you haven't already I suggest you take a look at APHont, a font developed by American Printing House for the Blind specifically for low vision readers. It helped me a lot when I had post-cataract surgery (aggravated by Fuchs Syndrome) issues. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz