01-13-2019 11:33 AM
42 12
tools
    Hello. I wondering if it's bad to put my pixel 3xl on the pixel stand even if it's not needing to be charged? I noticed last night my pixel was at 90% battery when I put it on the stand.
    12-28-2018 06:56 AM
    No, it's not bad. The stand can do more than charge the phone. Once it charges to 100% it won't keep trying to charge your phone.
    12-28-2018 07:23 AM
    Awesome. I figured that was the case but old habits you know. Thanks again
    radgatt likes this.
    12-28-2018 07:36 AM
    Totally agree with all the bugs. I have another bug that really almost making it a deal breaker where when my pixel 3 xl connects to my cars Bluetooth sometimes when I make a call or receive one the other end of the call cannot hear me. Only way to fix it is to restart the phone. Seriously how can a $1000 plus phone have so many issues.
    Pixel and Bluetooth don't work well together. That's something I learned with the original Pixel XL. I tried again using the Pixel 3 XL with my car's Bluetooth (Mazda 3), lo and behold, calls won't connect.
    12-30-2018 09:20 PM
    Just so people reading this thread and considering the Pixel might think that Bluetooth doesn't work reliably, here's my experience. So far I have had no problems connecting with 3 different cars, 2 different Bluetooth wireless headsets, my Canon Color ImageClass Laser Printer, my Canon InkJet printer, 3 different Windows 10 PC's, 2 different Google tablets, my wireless Pixel Stand, and my brand new Phonak Audeo Marvel hearing aids which use Bluetooth to connect hands-free throughout the day to my 3 XL phone for calls and to stream from my Google Play Music subscription. I use Bluetooth connectivity constantly throughout the day and I rely on it to just work.
    Coop61 likes this.
    12-30-2018 11:22 PM
    Just so people reading this thread and considering the Pixel might think that Bluetooth doesn't work reliably, here's my experience. So far I have had no problems connecting with ... my wireless Pixel Stand...
    Your Pixel Stand has Bluetooth?

Off topic - does your Pixel Stand display now playing when using Google Play Music. Mine is super buggy and mostly fails with Play Music and Spotify, yet no problems with now playing on Pocketcasts (least useful since podcast content doesn't change every +/- 4 minutes like music). Really wish this feature would work properly.
    01-01-2019 11:35 AM
    Awesome. I figured that was the case but old habits you know. Thanks again
    For a healthier battery, it's better to keep it toped off than having it discharge. They don't like deep discharge cycles.
    01-08-2019 01:45 PM
    That's good to know, as I now have the Pixel Stand on my work desk and place my phone on it so it can be used as a photo stand as well. I was worried about it always being charged. However, should I not charge my phone overnight as well?

Thanks,
    01-08-2019 03:19 PM
    That's good to know, as I now have the Pixel Stand on my work desk and place my phone on it so it can be used as a photo stand as well. I was worried about it always being charged. However, should I not charge my phone overnight as well?

Thanks,

Does your photo frame feature stop working after about 15 or so minutes? Mine does and it's so annoying... I love the feature on my work desk.
    01-08-2019 04:25 PM
    Does your photo frame feature stop working after about 15 or so minutes? Mine does and it's so annoying... I love the feature on my work desk.
    I haven't had my phone on the stand for that long of a time to see if it does stop working. However, I do notice that sometimes photos will start, other times, it will just be on my clock. It's not always consistent.
    01-08-2019 06:05 PM
    Wonder if the phone case you have could give you a problem.
    Tried using the pixel phone in the pixel stand without the case ?
    Coop61 likes this.
    01-08-2019 09:03 PM
    I haven't had my phone on the stand for that long of a time to see if it does stop working. However, I do notice that sometimes photos will start, other times, it will just be on my clock. It's not always consistent.
    Just a reminder that the stand doesn't play pictures in the dark. Yes, someone didn't realize initially.
    01-08-2019 09:45 PM
    Just a reminder that the stand doesn't play pictures in the dark.
    If I turn Night Sight on to help it see better would that make a difference?
    01-09-2019 02:09 AM
    Just a reminder that the stand doesn't play pictures in the dark.
    Or is it just afraid of the dark?
    billchat likes this.
    01-09-2019 02:16 AM
    Would be nice if they'd just let users set hours for the photo display and/or provide an easy toggle on/off. Indirect lighting at night isn't enough for the PS to launch photo display. (Indeed, it would be nice to have a quick toggle (or any way) to turn the PS ambient display on/off too.)

...adding, being reminded of the lighting issue by Mike Dee's post @9, on a hunch I set a lamp on next to my phone/PS last night while using Spotify and, low and behold, the now playing media player appeared! It worked for the usual +/-10 minutes and crashed...

~~~

Edited add: I put a timer on the PS Spotify now playing media display and it shuts down after exactly 10 minutes. Tested a second time with same result - shuts down & goes to ambient display exactly 10 minutes in. So, different from the photo frame shut down, which is random in length.
    01-09-2019 11:54 AM
    Just so people reading this thread and considering the Pixel might think that Bluetooth doesn't work reliably, here's my experience. So far I have had no problems connecting with 3 different cars, 2 different Bluetooth wireless headsets, my Canon Color ImageClass Laser Printer, my Canon InkJet printer, 3 different Windows 10 PC's, 2 different Google tablets, my wireless Pixel Stand, and my brand new Phonak Audeo Marvel hearing aids which use Bluetooth to connect hands-free throughout the day to my 3 XL phone for calls and to stream from my Google Play Music subscription. I use Bluetooth connectivity constantly throughout the day and I rely on it to just work.
    Whew ... I was thinking the same thing. I have not experienced any connections, camera or screen issues with my Pixel 3 XL purchased via Google store. Executes everything like a champ. Good luck to those having issues. Since all the phone are still within 1 year warranty ... Google should do something via software or replacement ... IMHO.
    Coop61 likes this.
    01-10-2019 03:11 AM
    Your Pixel Stand has Bluetooth?

Off topic - does your Pixel Stand display now playing when using Google Play Music. Mine is super buggy and mostly fails with Play Music and Spotify, yet no problems with now playing on Pocketcasts (least useful since podcast content doesn't change every +/- 4 minutes like music). Really wish this feature would work properly.
    Bluetooth works fine when my 3 XL is connected to my Pixel Stand.

"Now Playing" knows very little about classical music so it's not of much use to me. I do use my Google Play Music subscription quite a bit and I have no problem with Bluetooth connectivity with my several Bluetooth listening devices.
    01-10-2019 03:25 PM

"Now Playing" knows very little about classical music so it's not of much use to me. I do use my Google Play Music subscription quite a bit and I have no problem with Bluetooth connectivity with my several Bluetooth listening devices.
    I think they were referring to Google Play Music displaying now playing, not Now Playing
    01-10-2019 04:59 PM
    I think they were referring to Google Play Music displaying now playing, not Now Playing
    Capitalization of the words "now playing" to "Now Playing" appear to create different meanings. How would you define them?

I understood that he was directly asking me an off-topic question about the failure of "now playing" to respond with the accurate identification of a currently playing piece of music. I responded that "now playing" wasn't of much use to me as I'm a classical musician and the "Now Playing" database is almost entirely about pop music. (Did I get the capitalization right? )
    01-10-2019 08:47 PM
    Capitalization of the words "now playing" to "Now Playing" appear to create different meanings. How would you define them?

I understood that he was directly asking me an off-topic question about the failure of "now playing" to respond with the accurate identification of a currently playing piece of music. I responded that "now playing" wasn't of much use to me as I'm a classical musician and the "Now Playing" database is almost entirely about pop music. (Did I get the capitalization right? )
    I believe he was referring to Google Play Music not displaying what was currently playing while on the stand not the now playing feature. I could be wrong but that's what I got out of it. I don't think "now playing" needs to indentfy what songs are playing on an app.
    01-10-2019 09:02 PM
    I believe he was referring to Google Play Music not displaying what was currently playing while on the stand not the now playing feature. I could be wrong but that's what I got out of it. I don't think "now playing" needs to indentfy what songs are playing on an app.
    I too am not immune to misunderstanding.
    01-11-2019 12:29 AM

To clarify - I did mean the media player display that appears when listening to Google Play Music or Spotify when the phone is on the Pixel Stand (PS). The screen shows the album cover of the song (now) playing plus music player controls (pause/play, next/last track). I've found A) Like PS photo frame, it won't work if the device perceives it's dark and, B) When it does work it times out after exactly 10 minutes and reverts to the PS ambient display. The former is annoying, the latter is hopefully a bug that will be fixed.

Gary I know you use Play Music with a some sweet new Sony WH-1000XM3's, so I was wondering if you have a similar experience when using the PS. I use this setup with 1000XM2's (Spotify) and really wish this PS feature would work properly.
    01-11-2019 01:17 AM
    To clarify - I did mean the media player display that appears when listening to Google Play Music or Spotify when the phone is on the Pixel Stand (PS). The screen shows the album cover of the song (now) playing plus music player controls (pause/play, next/last track). I've found A) Like PS photo frame, it won't work if the device perceives it's dark and, B) When it does work it times out after exactly 10 minutes and reverts to the PS ambient display. The former is annoying, the latter is hopefully a bug that will be fixed.

Gary I know you use Play Music with a some sweet new Sony WH-1000XM3's, so I was wondering if you have a similar experience when using the PS. I use this setup with 1000XM2's (Spotify) and really wish this PS feature would work properly.
    When I'm working I often listen to complete albums on my Google Play Music subscription while my Pixel 3 XL is on my Pixel Stand. While I'm working I keep my Pixel on the Stand. It works with no problems.

I've never tried using my Pixel Stand in the dark as that isn't how I use it, so I cannot address your problem with using it in the dark. However, from what I've read, it would seem that is a feature of the Stand to automatically turn off when it's dark. I would think a better solution would be to have a user option to control ON/OFF and if ON, how long to play before turning OFF.

I've never used PS Photo Frame, so I cannot address that feature.
    01-11-2019 07:25 AM
    When I'm working I often listen to complete albums on my Google Play Music subscription while my Pixel 3 XL is on my Pixel Stand. While I'm working I keep my Pixel on the Stand. It works with no problems.
    While on the Pixel Stand listening to G-Play Music does the media player display stay on for the entire complete album? Or does media player display shut down at some point and revert to the PS ambient display?
    01-11-2019 12:15 PM
    While on the Pixel Stand listening to G-Play Music does the media player display stay on for the entire complete album? Or does media player display shut down at some point and revert to the PS ambient display?
    Recently I've been listening to "Mozart Complete Symphonies - Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, conducted by Neville Mariner" which consists of 12 CD's. On my Google Play Music subscription the music plays continuously through the entire set. After 2 minutes, the screen time I've set, my screen dims, but I can still see what symphony and movement is currently playing. My display does not shut down, it only dims. As each symphonic movement is played, I will sometimes need to scroll the screen up to see what is currently playing which brings back full screen brightness. Sometimes I will tap the screen to bring back full brightness just to make the screen easier to read. Throughout hours of listening on my Pixel Stand, Google Play Music never shuts down and never reverts to the PS ambient display.
    01-11-2019 02:06 PM
42 12