Critiques for Pixel 3 and Android P

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Well founded critiques for Pixel 3 and Android P in this review. Keep an open mind as Google could benefit from listing to it's user base.

This guy makes some really good points that I, and I am sure many of you, get frustrated with.

Note: I am a die hard Android user. And owned most of Google Nexus phones in addition to pixel XL and pixel 2 xl (my current phone). I was getting tired of all the raving reviews about pixel 3 and found this review to have some valid points that Google can improve upon.

https://youtu.be/uMqd_ZtWW7M

Last edited:

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Good heavens. This guys sounds like a prepubescent with his laundry list of whines. 13:32 wasted on subjective crying.
I said watch with open mind lol.

From minutes 8:30 onward, he was actually pointing out the good stuff. Just saying......

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I said watch with open mind lol.

From minutes 8:30 onward, he was actually pointing out the good stuff. Just saying......

Oh no, I did indeed watch it entirely. His "compliments" are back handed, IMO.

His criticisms sound juvenile and entitled. Having criticisms of Google Assistant when it's 1) industry leading and currently considered the gold standard and 2) the foundation of the Pixel brand, is beyond my understanding. Every other assistant is fighting for second place.

Complaining about what the screen display settings are labled..?? "Display profiles have stupid names.." this man sounds like a child on a playground somewhere. This is supposed to be considered professional and taken seriously..? Really..?

Last edited:

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Oh no, I did indeed watch it entirely. His "compliments" are back handed, IMO.

His criticisms sound juvenile and entitled. Having criticisms of Google Assistant when it's 1) industry leading and currently considered the gold standard and 2) the foundation of the Pixel brand, is beyond my understanding. Every other assistant is fighting for second place.

Complaining about what the screen display settings are labled..?? "Display profiles have stupid names.." this man sounds like a child on a playground somewhere. This is supposed to be considered professional and taking seriously..? Really..?
Have you tried setting reminders using Google assistant? It's a disaster. Being #1 when everyone else sucks doesn't mean you are good. Just means you suck less.

Seriously, using Google assistant for reminders frustrates the heck out of me. His critique there is well founded.

I'll give you the color profile naming, that's silly.

Google swipe gestures? Totally feels unfinished. Why even have them if they are still taking the same space non-gestures had?

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried setting reminders using Google assistant? It's a disaster. Being #1 when everyone else sucks doesn't mean you are good. Just means you suck less.

Seriously, using Google assistant for reminders frustrates the heck out of me. His critique there is well founded.

Good swipe gestures? Totally feels unfinished. Why even have them if they are still taking the same space non-gestures had?

I use GA daily for reminders and haven't run into a single complication. Granted I don't use location based reminders as the time to do something takes precedent over where I may be for me. So I definitely don't see his complaint as founded.

GA in the home products received location based reminders earlier this year. Perhaps it triggered a bug with that specific command, I dont know.

In regards to Pie, I acknowledge the opinion but I find the philosophy behind the build to be the best that Android has ever had. It is incredidbly intuitive and effecient for a user like myself. Though I can understand the opinions of others who may not comprehened 9.0 in the same light as I do.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The rotate prompt is Pie, not Pixel. "The most overlooked feature" can be downloaded with Play. Grainy pictures? I've gotten a good one - in my darkroom, with the lights off - unless you know something about digital photography.

Aside from those things - I agree with DMP89145. Whiny, with a list of things he doesn't like (some of which he's wrong about). You owe me 13:32.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The rotate prompt is Pie, not Pixel. "The most overlooked feature" can be downloaded with Play. Grainy pictures? I've gotten a good one - in my darkroom, with the lights off - unless you know something about digital photography.

Aside from those things - I agree with DMP89145. Whiny, with a list of things he doesn't like (some of which he's wrong about). You owe me 13:32.

You are correct it's a pie the rotate prompt as my other devices on pie have it , and I like that feature.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Google swipe gestures? Totally feels unfinished. Why even have them if they are still taking the same space non-gestures had?

Google reminders w/ Assistant is probably my most used feature with Assistant lol :p. From phone usage to the Google Homes around my house. I am not sure what is a disaster for you because I set reminders, they pop, and I mark as done.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
He raises some very good points, though the overall review seems very nit-picky, which is fine, he can create whatever review he wants. He seems to have a relatively positive impression of the navigation buttons/swips, where I have an overwhelmingly negative view of them (IMO it's terrible). He likes the camera and notification functions.

I haven't had an issue with reminders, but I do see his point in that the ones coming up should draw your attention to the ones that you need to know about. And yeah, there are very rough edges around Pie with text being cutoff due to the notch/border at the top, a blank space where the multi-tasker button used to be, the bugginess of the OS.

I thought it was pretty well balanced and he raised issues that other reviewers didn't.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
He raises some very good points, though the overall review seems very nit-picky, which is fine, he can create whatever review he wants. He seems to have a relatively positive impression of the navigation buttons/swips, where I have an overwhelmingly negative view of them (IMO it's terrible). He likes the camera and notification functions.

I haven't had an issue with reminders, but I do see his point in that the ones coming up should draw your attention to the ones that you need to know about. And yeah, there are very rough edges around Pie with text being cutoff due to the notch/border at the top, a blank space where the multi-tasker button used to be, the bugginess of the OS.

I thought it was pretty well balanced and he raised issues that other reviewers didn't.
Here we go. Someone appreciate critique because even though pixel 3 and Android P are great products over all, we will be kidding ourselves if we think no opportunities exist for improvements.

As my original post indicated, watch it with open mind. You don't have to agree with all of what he said. Again, I appreciate seeing a review that doesn't just hash what like 1000 other reviews already did.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I use GA daily for reminders and haven't run into a single complication. Granted I don't use location based reminders as the time to do something takes precedent over where I may be for me. So I definitely don't see his complaint as founded.

GA in the home products received location based reminders earlier this year. Perhaps it triggered a bug with that specific command, I dont know.

In regards to Pie, I acknowledge the opinion but I find the philosophy behind the build to be the best that Android has ever had. It is incredidbly intuitive and effecient for a user like myself. Though I can understand the opinions of others who may not comprehened 9.0 in the same light as I do.

Have not had an issue with reminders either.

I really don't pay any attention to reviews. I buy early in the game so by the time most normal reviews come out, it's too late.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Here we go. Someone appreciate critique because even though pixel 3 and Android P are great products over all, we will be kidding ourselves if we think no opportunities exist for improvements.

Hahaha!! You must really be new to the Pixel forums. Still plenty of time to feel out some of the regulars personalities ..

Listen, no one said there isn't room for improvement. Of course there is, as it is with all things. Personally, I have no issues against quality criticisms and appreciate different points of view. Everyone here has a right to their opinion and we look for to different discussion points.

With that in mind, complaining the Google didn't load out the Pixel 3 to personalized tastes is just not that interesting. The build out is what it is. It's not going to be a different phone, with different specs, running a different skin..

Half the issues he raised had an * indicating that the very issues he was whining about had been addressed. Just wasn't a quality critique, IMO.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

As my original post indicated, watch it with open mind. You don't have to agree with all of what he said. Again, I appreciate seeing a review that doesn't just hash what like 1000 other reviews already did.

Well the Pixel 3 has some really glaring issues - both in hardware and software. That didn't go unnoticed by reviewers. The phone also has a very 'meh' feel to it in a year with some really spectactular devices. So much so that Android Central awarded the Galaxy Note 9 as phone of the year and the Huawei Mate 20 Pro best phone camera of the year.

I don't doubt that the Note 9 is the overall better device, and the Huawei Mate 20 Pro seems to have an extremely versatile camera, whereas the Pixel has great still shots but poor digial zoom, atrocious video/sound recording and useless gimmick features that are poorly designed (Top Shot). I haven't used the Mate 20 Pro so I don't know how good the still images are, but if it's close (or better) then that's the biggest draw card for the Pixel gone.

I don't get the criticism for the review - he's reviewing the device on *his* experience with it. If he ran into issues, then he ran into issues, and it'd be disingenuous to ignore them or pretend they didn't exist and review the phone as it it's perfect.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I don't get the criticism for the review - he's reviewing the device on *his* experience with it. If he ran into issues, then he ran into issues, and it'd be disingenuous to ignore them or pretend they didn't exist and review the phone as it it's perfect.

Lol! I'm sure you don't ...

But we'll both agree that all reviews are isolated and individual opinion. Many reviews are positive about the improvements with this year's model.

Regarding the criticism of the video ... It's posted here, so obviously he must want a discussion about it from Pixel 3 users. Might as well accommodate the OP. :)

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
He is right that it's annoying if you have two (or more) GA reminders in Notifications you can't dismiss them individually.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey