Thoughts on Android Central's article on Pixel 3's "horrendously slow" camera?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Andrew is wildin' with that "hot take". I have zero problems. I mean, 5 seconds?!? I need to see video proof of that issue before I take his word on that kind of delay.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I have double tapped the power button and missed the photo I was going for because the camera was slow to open.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't know , this guy making like the pixel 3 has this problem out of the gate some type of wide spread problem. not saying some are not experiencing it but the people who have the issue got to troubleshoot and find the problem . I'm not having any issues with my camera or video.

Last edited:

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
My camera app was fast out of the box. After a couple months I felt like it was lagging. When Andrew's post came out I decided to time my camera. It was about 1.5 seconds from launch (either double tap power button or app shortcut on the home screen). Following the advice of a comment on the article I cleared the camera app cache. Since then I'm under one second from launch to capture.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My camera has been horribly slow. Even after factory reset. Takes 2 to three seconds to start the app and then 4 to 6 seconds to snap the pic after.....

After clearing cache, it works great for about 20 minutes, then it's back to being slow

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if the lack of RAM is to blame, the app would obviously take longer to open if Google can't keep it running in the background at all times like some of their competitors.

marcb11

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Another sensasionalist article by the team here. The sky is falling, just like the P2 screen burn in, funny how we never heard about that ever again shortly after that big article where he defended himself on the podcast saying it was his duty to inform the public. Lol.

Guess they had enough best cases and best chargers you can buy on Amazon articles so he discovered his phone camera suddenly has issues months later that NO ONE has complained about until now.

Yawn. I'd rather read more how to plug my playstation into a wall outlet articles.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I wonder if the lack of RAM is to blame, the app would obviously take longer to open if Google can't keep it running in the background at all times like some of their competitors.

I don't think it would be ram , maybe the adaptive battery may play a role could be more aggressive. That's easy to test as you can disable it and see.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I doubt it's about the RAM. Even if it's not running in the background it should still open pretty fast.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I wonder how a android guy like him can't figure out what's causing it ....

I say again click bait anyone?
Or trolling the android members ?

I still challenge anybody to show a stock pixel any generation taking 5 seconds to launch and take a pic. Not gonna happen.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I wonder how a android guy like him can't figure out what's causing it ....

I say again click bait anyone?
Or trolling the android members ?

I still challenge anybody to show a stock pixel any generation taking 5 seconds to launch and take a pic. Not gonna happen.

EXACTLY THIS!! Without some show of proof, these claims are worthless. If it's as he claims it to be, post the video.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
EXACTLY THIS!! Without some show of proof, these claims are worthless. If it's as he claims it to be, post the video.

We should all feel foolish for getting sucked in to what's obviously click bait.
He did a good job though he attacked the one special thing about the pixel line and we just fell right into it. LOL

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm not seeing it. Maybe takes a second to second and a half when opening the camera right after turning the phone on. Much less than that if the phone is already on.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Another sensasionalist article by the team here. The sky is falling, just like the P2 screen burn in, funny how we never heard about that ever again shortly after that big article where he defended himself on the podcast saying it was his duty to inform the public. Lol.

Guess they had enough best cases and best chargers you can buy on Amazon articles so he discovered his phone camera suddenly has issues months later that NO ONE has complained about until now.

Yawn. I'd rather read more how to plug my playstation into a wall outlet articles.

Yeah I'm not understanding the direction AC is going. There is a terrible lack of consistency. On one section of the homepage, there are links to articles saying 1) Phone A has a terrible camera, but 2) Phone A is the best overall Android phone, however 3)Phone B is the best phone of 2018.

Makes me cringe.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Standard Pixel 3, here. Camera fires in about a second. Last restart of my phone was for the last security update.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
It's simple. Martonik, unfortunately, has graduated to the class of clickbait authors that should be utterly ignored. I don't know if this issue is real or not, and whether or not Martonik says it is does not provide me any additional information because I cannot trust whether or not anything he says is accurate.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12