Carriers selling our location

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I heard they know your location even with it off and for $300.00 that's some serious money .

I think that "anything for a dollar" is alive and well with these carriers is just disgusting. Especially in this day in age when privacy, security and transparency are becoming so paramount.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think that "anything for a dollar" is alive and well with these carriers is just disgusting. Especially in this day in age when privacy, security and transparency are becoming so paramount.

It's crazy , guess anything to make money.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The news blurb I saw, sorry no link, indicated it was a general area and not a spot on GPS location. It looked like they were talking about cell tower triangulation. So certainly not exact and just general info. Nothing surprises me anymore.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

C'mon now DM, you know in this day and age we have no privacy or security.... that's pretty much a given lol.

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/08/wireless-carriers-selling-location-data/

I mean is this even possible with location off on our pixels 3 ?
I'm sure some of you guys seen this in the news feed what you guys think?

Yes. I remember reading somewhere that carriers are required by federal law (by way of FCC) to track your cell phone location for 911 calls and federal investigations. However, the carriers are double dipping because they charge you for 911 emergency fee and then sell your location data.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes. I remember reading somewhere that carriers are required by federal law (by way of FCC) to track your cell phone location for 911 calls and federal investigations. However, the carriers are double dipping because they charge you for 911 emergency fee and then sell your location data.

Like how often you going dial 911 to charge for it lol better they hide that fee in their price so I dont see that and scratch my head every time I look at my bill...or can they pro rate 911 say I dont use 911 for say 3 years can they save me money 😂😂

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

That they are able to and do provide location for emergency response is essential. A strong case could also be made to location data being available for law enforcement, provided there is some well-structured and managed regulation/oversight (e.g., court order). Virtually any other case should require advance consent.

In either case, that carriers continue to opt to violate customer privacy by selling identified location data for commercial reasons is deplorable and non-compliant with the privacy policies of all 4 major US carriers without definitions to the greatest extent their legal counsel believes defensible in court. Until legislative action is taken introducing penalties that outbalance the revenues these companies receive, it's very unlikely we will see them grow a conscience and cease on their own.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yes it is possible. The carriers were caught selling location data by your phone pinging the cell towers. Regardless of your location settings on your phone you can't hide yourself pinging the cell tower -- unless you went into airplane mode (which would of course make your cell useless).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes it is possible. The carriers were caught selling location data by your phone pinging the cell towers. Regardless of your location settings on your phone you can't hide yourself pinging the cell tower -- unless you went into airplane mode (which would of course make your cell useless).

Yeah your right , didn't think about that .

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

They even do it with iPhones. This just makes me want to buy a cheap burner phone for some third-rate MVNO and be done with it. This is ridiculous. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can purchase my location information from my carrier and it makes me really uneasy.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They even do it with iPhones. This just makes me want to buy a cheap burner phone for some third-rate MVNO and be done with it. This is ridiculous. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can purchase my location information from my carrier and it makes me really uneasy.

I mean ok if law enforcement want it but to sell it just crazy.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I heard they know your location even with it off
With location off, they can still get the location because E911 boards have to be able to get it even if you have location off. But with the phone off? Not unless they were looking at you.

No, we're probably seeing tower pinging. In a dense area, like midtown NYC, that's would be meaningless, because they have a few microtowers per block (at least - sometimes 1 per building), so you might be hitting 10 of them at once (and 5,000 other people would be too). In a sparsely populated area, you might have one tower covering a few towns, so yeah, you were at home, at work or shopping somewhere. Wow, top secret stuff, huh?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
With location off, they can still get the location because E911 boards have to be able to get it even if you have location off. But with the phone off? Not unless they were looking at you.

No, we're probably seeing tower pinging. In a dense area, like midtown NYC, that's would be meaningless, because they have a few microtowers per block (at least - sometimes 1 per building), so you might be hitting 10 of them at once (and 5,000 other people would be too). In a sparsely populated area, you might have one tower covering a few towns, so yeah, you were at home, at work or shopping somewhere. Wow, top secret stuff, huh?

I agree , but with phone off they probably pick up the last ping your phone made with the towers and tell them general area your at but not precise.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

You would be surprised... There are actually mechanics by which a phone can still be tracked, even when powered off, unless the battery is either removed or completely drained.

The good news is, that's not something the carriers are going to be doing, and those who do have the capability.... let's just say, if they're tracking your phone when it's powered off, you're a person of particular interest to those you probably don't want to be interested in you.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You would be surprised... There are actually mechanics by which a phone can still be tracked, even when powered off, unless the battery is either removed or completely drained.

The good news is, that's not something the carriers are going to be doing, and those who do have the capability.... let's just say, if they're tracking your phone when it's powered off, you're a person of particular interest to those you probably don't want to be interested in you.

Hahaha so true

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37